Olympus 40-150 mm lockup

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Wolfeye, Jul 7, 2015.

1. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    I was out this past weekend with the OM-D E-M10 and was using the Olympus 40-150mm lens extensively. Two or three times it "locked up" after a shot. The screen went dark and no image appeared. Nothing worked on the camera except turning it off and on.

The lens is under warranty but it's only barely worth sending in. Has this happened to anyone else here? The only other thing noticeable was how warm the camera felt, but that's normal for mirrorless cameras when shooting actively.

2. dornblaser

dornblaser Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 13, 2012
    Chicago-area
    David Dornblaser
    Which 40 - 150?

3. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa

Olympus M. 40-150mm F4.0-5.6 R Zoom Lens

4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    I've got a similar problem, but the problem was not the lens but the body. The shutter closes and stays closed. The sound is different than normal, like something got stuck.
    If you turn off the camera and remove the lens you should clearly see that the shutter is still closed.

https://www.mu-43.com/threads/77288/

At first it happened a few times, only when using the flash. One month ago it started to do it for every shot, every lens. Right now the camera is in the hands of Olympus service.

Last edited: Jul 7, 2015
  5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Most of the time, this is an issue with connections between the lens and camera.

check and make sure that the lens to camera mount is solid
    verify that the connectors on both the camera and lens are clean

6. Wolfeye

Wolfeye Mu-43 Regular

Mar 20, 2015
    Iowa
    Maybe so, but the connection didn't change when I turned the camera on and off - which resolved the problem. I did try taking the lens on-off too, that did nothing.

7. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Fair enough. Just wantedto make sure that we are being as comprehensive in the troubleshooting process before you send it back!