1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 40-150 f3.5-4.5

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by rash_powder, Mar 6, 2012.

1. rash_powder

rash_powder Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    I just re dived this lens yesterday. Updated my GH2 to the new firmware, and played with it just a little bit. Maybe seven shots in the bedroom with not very good light.

I am just wondering if anyone else has or has used this lens and what I'm in for. Is it worth the hassle to use? I know the focus on it is going to be slow, but it seems to be quicker when zoomed all the way out than when pulled in. Is that right?

Thanx for any info!
    Sent from my ADR6425LVW using Tapatalk

2. harrysue

harrysue Mu-43 Regular

Mar 12, 2011
    I still have the one from when I bought the Olympus E300 in 2005. Optically, it's just as good as the little M.ED 40-150, but it's huge as you know, and takes 2X-5X the time to focus on my EPL1. In good light, about a second to get close, and maybe another second to stutter into final position. If it goes into hunt mode, as long as 5 seconds.

So it's slow and I think a good way to use it is to prefocus and wait for the shot. However, using this lens drove me crazy in S-AF mode with the conventional half shutter press to select AF. Long lag time, and if you were pre-focusing, it doesn't hold if you let go the shutter. I hated it.

On an EPL1, you can turn off focus with half shutter and invoke focus with a separate button. I found this useful to prefocus the old 40-150. I also minimized the focus window for more precision. Perhaps this is possible with the GH2 if you wish to use the pre-focus approach.

Disclaimer: I don't use this lens much on my PEN because I have the faster focusing later version as well as the little M.ED 40-150. It stays mostly on the DSLR.

(Post edited because OP has a GH2)