1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 PRO Handling

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Biro, Sep 14, 2016.

1. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    The Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 PRO has been on my short list ever since it came out. I may pull the trigger soon. It would be used almost exclusively on my E-M1. I haven't had a chance to play with this glass... but in reading the specs, I see that it's bigger and heavier than Pentax's DA* 50-135 f/2.8 WR for APS-C, which is saying something indeed.

So, my question for those who use this lens... what is the weight and handling like in the real world? Is this, in a practical sense, a tripod-only lens?

I've got the 12-40 f/2.8 PRO and the Panasonic 100-300 f/4-5.6. If the longer Olympus lens is a problem in terms of handling in the field, perhaps I'd be better off with the new Oly 12-100 f/4.0 or the Panasonic 35-100 f/2.8.

2. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    In my opinion the handling is great. You want some weight in a telephoto to help keep steady and it works perfectly with a em5 with grip or em1.

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  3. Carbonman

Carbonman Mu-43 All-Pro

Jul 10, 2014
    Vancouver BC
    Graham
    I've used the Hell out of my 40-150 Pro on my E-M10 since I bought the lens over 14 months ago, and almost exclusively on the E-M1 since getting the E-M1 about 10 months ago. It's such a handy lens because of the constant large aperture, sharpness at any aperture, zoom range and close focus capability. I've used it more for macro than my Oly 60mm.
    It is not a tripod only lens by any stretch of the imagination. I don't even have the tripod collar mounted, preferring to hand hold all the way to 1/8 second, even when using the 1.4x TC (f4.0 maximum @ up to 210mm).
    It's a featherweight compared to the 300mm f4, and I hand hold that to 1/15 sec and 1/30 sec fairly often.
    I cradle the 40-150 with the fingertips of my left hand index and middle fingers supporting the hood and the heel of my thumb supporting the back of the lens. My left tricep is tucked against my chest. I steer the camera and manipulate the controls with my right hand. I get great results and love using the lens in all conditions.
    Here's a macro shot:
    28067201244_079a8111a1_h.
    Unfortunate Hoverfly
    by Graham Moore, on Flickr

Last edited: Sep 21, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    I had the pany 35-100/2.8 but was dissatisfied by it's close focus abilities so I got the oly 40-150pro to try them side by side. I had reservations about the size and weight but those quickly disappeared.

The lens balances very well with the e-m1, and provides for a very stable shooting platform when combined with the ibis. Even without an extra grip I find the combo maneuverable with one hand via the grip (though not when taking pictures). I use the tripod mount only when I'm out and walking/hiking in combo with a blackrapid strap system; it allows me to put on another lens while the 40-150 hangs safely at my side. The 40-150 is far better balanced than the 50-200(4/3 lens) was, and having sold that and purchased the 1.4x both it and the 35-100 have been replaced making my overall kit lighter too.

Two weeks out I had sold my pany and haven't had a single regret since. In fact to offer myself the choice of light weigh I bought a 45/1.8 last week and couldn't be happier with the choice for when the 40-150 is to big.

I think oly made this lens very intelligently, as if it was heavier or extended when zooming it may well have been awkward as many fear.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    It's one of the best looking focal length some I've ever used.

I've said quite a bit about it here:
    Best Light Photographic BLOG: Tamron 70-300/4-5.6 VC VS Olympus 40-150/4-5.6R

Best Light Photographic BLOG: The New Olympus 40-150mm f/2.8 PRO Lens Revew

Best Light Photographic BLOG: More Olympus 40-150mm f2.8 - Deeper Down The Rabbit Hole

Would I want it as an walk around? No, but when you need what f/2.8 gives you and the fact that the MC14 gives you the extra reach with no perceptible I loss, it's hard to beat. When you think about what you really get, which is an effect focal range of 80-300... It gets even tastier in my eyes.

It handles well, super fast AF, great IQ even wide open.

6. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    An excellent lens IMHO. The size and weight issue is of course relative to each individual person's previous experience, and if the biggest lens they've had on their camera is a Panny 20mm, then the 40-150 may seem a bit big to begin with. But it's definitely not tripod only. In fact I think I've only used it on a tripod once.

The only real downside about it is that it makes most other lenses feel cheap and nasty.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. Benzy

Benzy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 18, 2014
    I've walked all over Santa Barbara with the lens and no complaints. Felt like the size and weight of a dslr standard zoom. Crazy portable for what it is. It's big for m43, but relatively small compared to it being a fast telephoto.

• Agree Agree x 2
  8. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Great lens with or without the TC. Can't wait to hook it up to a E-M1 II. :2thumbs:

• Agree Agree x 1
  9. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    I'm ve y interested in the E-M1 II combined with this lens and the 25 1.2. Seems like a bag with the 12-40/40-150 and the 25 1.2 would cover potentially 95% of my shooting.

10. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    If you have an E-M1, why not look at a 50-200?

• Agree Agree x 1