Olympus 40-150 f/2.8 and Body weight

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
So now that I've got the Pro 40-150 f/2.8 on my E-M1 I have to say it does feel quite heavy, but I knew that before hand (still less than my FF DSLR and 70-200)
So my question is should I be concerned picking up the body or letting it hang off my shoulder / neck with that heavy lens attached as in should I be concerned of the mount strength, will it hold or should I rather not let it hang off my shoulder and picking it up one handed just on the camera grip?
I don't want the mount to break.
Also in regards to the green EVF burn out, since the camera will be hanging straight down, I wonder if I should be more careful now, even thus my EVF adjustment dial is in the middle.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
When in doubt, try to use methods of handling and carrying that put less stress on the mount. I frequently carried my D300 w/70-200 VRII by the lens throat near the body. If I was raising it up to shoot, and the shot was not immediate, I would often grab the grip and raise it, but would try not to swing it up in light of the lens' weight. Now if you need to make a living from your equipment and time is of the essence, do what you need to do. But if that is not the case, and you have concerns about the mount, why stress it more than necessary? The E-M1 is probably strong enough to put up with constant use and even some abuse, but I do not take that as a license to stress the mount.

Good luck,

--Ken

RMills

Mu-43 Regular
I think it will be fine (although I think a pro body should have more than 4 screws holding the mount!)

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
I didn't realise that my 14-35mm f2 is heavier than the 40-150mm f2.8, and physically not much smaller (wider but shorter). I always carry the 14-35mm using just the camera body. The 35-100mm f2 I carry by the lens, as it's twice the weight and a lot longer, so the moment arm is much greater and would put a lot more force on the mount.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran
...... I think a pro body should have more than 4 screws holding the mount!)
FYI all pro bodies have 4 screws for mount, check Canon 1DX, 5D Mark ... or others they all have 4 screws, same for lenses 70-200 f/2.8 II = 4 screws etc.

RMills

Mu-43 Regular
FYI all pro bodies have 4 screws for mount, check Canon 1DX, 5D Mark ... or others they all have 4 screws, same for lenses 70-200 f/2.8 II = 4 screws etc.

My last 2 Nikon bodies, D600 and D610 both had 5.

DWS

Mu-43 Regular
My habit, be it Oly or Nikon with full frame boat anchors, is to hold the body bottom. Admittedly, it is not due to concern about camera/lens integrity, but wear and tear on my body.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
With the 35-100mm f2.0 I tend to 'cradle' the lens with my off hand under it about where the tripod mount would sit, it balances nicely and there's no issues of anything hanging off anything. If I'm using anything smaller than that it doesn't worry me at all, just let it hang.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
With the 35-100mm f2.0 I tend to 'cradle' the lens with my off hand under it about where the tripod mount would sit, it balances nicely and there's no issues of anything hanging off anything. If I'm using anything smaller than that it doesn't worry me at all, just let it hang.

I bought a longer (100mm) Arca Swiss plate and attached that to the foot, as it gives me a much better grip on the foot of the lens. I did the same with the 90-250mm, but used a 120mm Arca Swiss plate.

eteless

Mu-43 All-Pro
I bought a longer (100mm) Arca Swiss plate and attached that to the foot, as it gives me a much better grip on the foot of the lens. I did the same with the 90-250mm, but used a 120mm Arca Swiss plate.

Not a bad idea, would sort of act like a carry handle as well. sadly I'm currently using Manfrotto QR plates. I might try it with an L plate however the L part seems somewhat redundant :).

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
It made a huge difference to carrying comfort and security when I added the longer foot. I carry the lenses so that three fingers are under the front of the plate/foot and the pinkie is behind (on the camera side), that way it can't inadvertently come off my hand. I used to use the Manfrotto plates and quick releases, but gave them away long ago. The Arca Swiss style plates and quick releases are available so cheaply from eBay now, that it's worth changing over.

zulfur666

Mu-43 Veteran

Can you share a picture how it looks with the lens perhaps? Thank you

Turbofrog

Mu-43 Legend
Given that the E-M1 in particular is designed to be used with 4/3 lenses, I would expect that they would have given extra care to the mount.

The number of screws is pretty much entirely irrelevant to how strong it is without knowing all the details of the design (clamped area, materials and alloys, screw size, thread pitch, thread engagement depth...)

I wouldn't be particularly concerned by anything that weighs less than 1kg.

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
Can you share a picture how it looks with the lens perhaps? Thank you

Here's a quick and dirty of my 35-100mm f2 with a 100mm Arca Swiss foot, it makes carrying very easy:

PB190001_IJFR.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

zathras

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Chris Nielsen
There are only 3 bolts holding each engine on a Boeing 737 so I am sure that you can't judge these things just by how many fasteners it has...

Clint

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Clint
If a lens is heavier than the camera body or has a tripod foot on it, it is getting handled by the lens or tripod foot.

Latest threads

Top Bottom