Olympus 40/1.4

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I picked up an Olympus 40/1.4 recently. A local store had one on consignment and in great condition so I decided to pick it up. At first I was pretty underwhelmed (and was going to return it) but I decided to give it some more time. It is starting to grow on me. I'm still not a believer but I can't take it back now so I'd better learn to like it.

I quite like how well it fits on my EPL1. Size wise it is a much better match that the various MF lenses I have with big bulky adapters (the M42 being the worst). I like the fact that it close focuses to around a foot. I find the focusing action to be long (although not nearly as long as my Industar 2). I have been spoiled by the super short throw focusing of the Konica 40/1.8. Optically I'd say the Olympus is soft until you get to 2.8 and quite sharp from there on. At the same f-stops the Olympus is as sharp or sharper than the Konicas. I like the build quality as well. It's a nice lens. I wouldn't call it a bargain price wise (then again I think a lot of lenses are over priced) and while I have seen a few people mention that they think the 40/1.4 is on a par with the 40/2 Summicron C or the 40/2 M-Rokkor...I have a very hard time believing that. I think I'm going to need to see more proof of that before I change my opinion. Personally I think its just wishful thinking.

I have noticed that at the same settings as the Konica it seems to produce images that appear to be a bit underexposed compared to the Konicas. I think it produces better color but then again I have always felt Olympus lenses produce better color. It's been raining and snowing quite a lot so I haven't had chance to shoot much. It looks like we're going to have a sunny (albeit COLD) break for a few days so I hope to get out and test it some more.

Right now I think I like it although I'd have a hard time recommending it to someone. It appears to a bit better lens than my Konica 40/1.8 but not 5x better so if image quality is the determining factor then I'd say its a bit expensive for what you get. I am hoping to discover some really fabulous image qualities about the lens but right now I'd say the best thing about it is being small and close focusing.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Let the showering of thanks begin...

Photoshop-20101121-084815.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Looks like the weather is a cooperating, maybe some sample images a bit later.

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
feeezing cold...

I had the opportunity to take the 40/1.4 out and take a few shots in the half day of sunshine when the temperature was a bit milder. I have to say that my impression of the lens has improved quite a lot. Very nice sharpness (although these shots are were at f4 and 5.6 so I would expect they would be sharp), no complaints about the bokeh or color. In all honesty it's better than my Konica 40/1.8 and 50/1.4 (although the 50/1.4 is close). I still think that there are lenses that offer better value but...I think the lens is a h*ll of a lot better than I was giving it credit for. I have noticed that it benefits greatly from a lens hood. I attached a 43-55 adapter ring and then a nifty round metal Konica lens hood and it works like a charm.

Mr. Fitzwilliam...bring me my plate of crow.

pod.jpg

podII.jpg

100% crop of the image above
podcrop.jpg

grass.jpg

Don Baldwinson

Mu-43 Regular
A Great Little Lens

I agree. I have had one of these since Pen FT days. It was a little tired with some oil stickiness and fungus, but I had it refurbished by an old timer for about $100, and it's better than new! It now sits on my E-PL1, so compact and 'right'. I imagine they are not easy to find for a low price these days if they ever were, but they would be good value compared with most of the new substitutes and the equal of any.
I have always liked quality manual lenses, and they don't get any better than the Zuiko Pen 40mm F1.4. I have SHQ lenses, 150mmF2 and also the 50mm macro, and I think the little 1.4 gives little away to either, in sharpness, contrast and colour, if anything at all.
Here is a very odd collection of recent images, just testing the lens, not for critique!
Cheers,
Don

12050091-lg.jpg

12050093-lg.jpg

12050092-lg.jpg

12050090-lg.jpg

12050112-lg.jpg

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Okay now...the doggie with the plastic color is just adorable!

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
OK Don, those Labradeefers (or lookalikes) are just cool. I have two similar hounds and they are just getting better as they work their way out of nappies.

Cheers

Ray

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
OK Don, those Labradeefers (or lookalikes) are just cool. I have two similar hounds and they are just getting better as they work their way out of nappies.

Cheers

Ray

I remember reading somewhere that when dogs cross breed after several generations they will end up looking like that. Dog...basic black...medium sized.

Don Baldwinson

Mu-43 Regular
I remember reading somewhere that when dogs cross breed after several generations they will end up looking like that. Dog...basic black...medium sized.

Yes, nature knows best and tries to repair mans damage. We notice on long forest walks with others, we have to stop regularly to let the designer snouts suck in big ones, and wobbly hips regain stability. The black village dogs roaming ahead wondering why.:eek:
Cheers,
Don

dixeyk

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
100% crop

PC170489.jpg_%40_100__%28RGB_8%29-20101217-204757.jpg

Olympus 40/1.4 @2.8 on a cold winter day (during our half hour of sun)

Latest threads

Top Bottom