Olympus 4/3 cameras, do they still make them

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

Do Olympus still make 4/3 cameras or are they now only making m4/3 cameras.

I see on their website that they still list 4/3 lenses but cannot figure out if any of the current lineup are 4/3

Thanks

Paul

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
There are no more 4/3 bodies being made, but you can still get 4/3 lenses (thought they probably constitute old stock).

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
Although the E-5 is not yet listed on the Olympus website as discontinued it is shown as "out of stock". You can pick up a manufacturer refurbished E-3 body on eBay for $399 so it should have a warranty. Basically though, once they're gone they're gone.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Being total new to m4/3 I had been on the Olympus website and having found 4/3 lenses I was wondering where the cameras were hidden.

Paul

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Incidentally, if you have an E-M1, the 11-22 f2.8~3.5 lens is a great wide angle, although the $640 reconditioned price is IMHO, too steep - I bought a mint used one for about $450 about 6 years ago when it was current, and the 4/3 DSLRs were current. IMHO, it's one of the real stars of the 4/3 lens lineup along with the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm SWD. Of course, the pro-class lenses were and are great too, but are quite expensive for what they can deliver on an E-M1 relative to native Micro 4/3 glass.

It focuses really slowly and hunts on any Micro 4/3 camera other than an E-M1, but it focuses like a champ on the E-M1.

Clean used ones sell for well under $400 nowadays, and it's a better, faster lens than the 9-18 (although not as wide). I had relegated this lens to my old gear pile, but now that I have an E-M1, it is back to being in my kit when I don't need to travel light.

lchien

Mu-43 Veteran
I read a Olympus release that the four thirds cameras were to be discontinued but that they would continue to manufacture 4/3 lenses. However they will not be designing any new 4/3 lenses and all the new designs will be micro 4/3, both cameras and lenses.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I read a Olympus release that the four thirds cameras were to be discontinued but that they would continue to manufacture 4/3 lenses. However they will not be designing any new 4/3 lenses and all the new designs will be micro 4/3, both cameras and lenses.

I suspect that they are sitting on a big slug of inventory for several of these lenses. So they probably won't actually make any more of these lenses, because they don't have to - they can probably continue to sell many of them for the foreseeable future.

Latest threads

Top Bottom