Olympus 4/3 cameras, do they still make them

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Hi all

Do Olympus still make 4/3 cameras or are they now only making m4/3 cameras.

I see on their website that they still list 4/3 lenses but cannot figure out if any of the current lineup are 4/3

Thanks

Paul

OzRay

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ray, not Oz
There are no more 4/3 bodies being made, but you can still get 4/3 lenses (thought they probably constitute old stock).

kenez

Mu-43 Regular
Although the E-5 is not yet listed on the Olympus website as discontinued it is shown as "out of stock". You can pick up a manufacturer refurbished E-3 body on eBay for $399 so it should have a warranty. Basically though, once they're gone they're gone.

Paul80

Mu-43 Veteran
Being total new to m4/3 I had been on the Olympus website and having found 4/3 lenses I was wondering where the cameras were hidden.

Paul

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
Incidentally, if you have an E-M1, the 11-22 f2.8~3.5 lens is a great wide angle, although the $640 reconditioned price is IMHO, too steep - I bought a mint used one for about $450 about 6 years ago when it was current, and the 4/3 DSLRs were current. IMHO, it's one of the real stars of the 4/3 lens lineup along with the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm SWD. Of course, the pro-class lenses were and are great too, but are quite expensive for what they can deliver on an E-M1 relative to native Micro 4/3 glass.

It focuses really slowly and hunts on any Micro 4/3 camera other than an E-M1, but it focuses like a champ on the E-M1.

Clean used ones sell for well under $400 nowadays, and it's a better, faster lens than the 9-18 (although not as wide). I had relegated this lens to my old gear pile, but now that I have an E-M1, it is back to being in my kit when I don't need to travel light.

lchien

Mu-43 Veteran
I read a Olympus release that the four thirds cameras were to be discontinued but that they would continue to manufacture 4/3 lenses. However they will not be designing any new 4/3 lenses and all the new designs will be micro 4/3, both cameras and lenses.

dougjgreen

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Doug Green
I read a Olympus release that the four thirds cameras were to be discontinued but that they would continue to manufacture 4/3 lenses. However they will not be designing any new 4/3 lenses and all the new designs will be micro 4/3, both cameras and lenses.
I suspect that they are sitting on a big slug of inventory for several of these lenses. So they probably won't actually make any more of these lenses, because they don't have to - they can probably continue to sell many of them for the foreseeable future.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom