Olympus 4/3 cameras, do they still make them

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by Paul80, Aug 4, 2014.

1. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Hi all

Do Olympus still make 4/3 cameras or are they now only making m4/3 cameras.

I see on their website that they still list 4/3 lenses but cannot figure out if any of the current lineup are 4/3

Thanks

Paul

2. OzRay

OzRay Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jan 29, 2010
    South Gippsland, Australia
    Ray, not Oz
    There are no more 4/3 bodies being made, but you can still get 4/3 lenses (thought they probably constitute old stock).

3. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Thanks

Paul

4. kenez

kenez Mu-43 Regular

Apr 18, 2012
    Although the E-5 is not yet listed on the Olympus website as discontinued it is shown as "out of stock". You can pick up a manufacturer refurbished E-3 body on eBay for $399 so it should have a warranty. Basically though, once they're gone they're gone.

5. Paul80

Paul80 Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 6, 2014
    Being total new to m4/3 I had been on the Olympus website and having found 4/3 lenses I was wondering where the cameras were hidden.

Paul

6. pman

pman Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 17, 2014
    Behind an MMF-3 adapter. :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  7. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    Incidentally, if you have an E-M1, the 11-22 f2.8~3.5 lens is a great wide angle, although the $640 reconditioned price is IMHO, too steep - I bought a mint used one for about $450 about 6 years ago when it was current, and the 4/3 DSLRs were current. IMHO, it's one of the real stars of the 4/3 lens lineup along with the 12-60mm and the 50-200mm SWD. Of course, the pro-class lenses were and are great too, but are quite expensive for what they can deliver on an E-M1 relative to native Micro 4/3 glass.

It focuses really slowly and hunts on any Micro 4/3 camera other than an E-M1, but it focuses like a champ on the E-M1.

Clean used ones sell for well under $400 nowadays, and it's a better, faster lens than the 9-18 (although not as wide). I had relegated this lens to my old gear pile, but now that I have an E-M1, it is back to being in my kit when I don't need to travel light.

8. lchien

lchien Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 7, 2014
    Texas
    I read a Olympus release that the four thirds cameras were to be discontinued but that they would continue to manufacture 4/3 lenses. However they will not be designing any new 4/3 lenses and all the new designs will be micro 4/3, both cameras and lenses.

9. dougjgreen

dougjgreen Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 5, 2013
    San Diego
    Doug Green
    I suspect that they are sitting on a big slug of inventory for several of these lenses. So they probably won't actually make any more of these lenses, because they don't have to - they can probably continue to sell many of them for the foreseeable future.

1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.