1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 4/3 14-54mm 2.8-3.5 Zuiko lens- Wont it make perfect everyday lens?

Discussion in 'Panasonic Cameras' started by Bhupinder2002, Oct 31, 2011.

1. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have one MMF2 adaptor and the new Olympus 4/3 14-54 2.8-3.5 II ZUIKO lens is available for 459 at B&H. I was wondering if this lens can replace ur panny 20mm 1.7 , Olympus 45mm and ur kit lens . If anyone is using this lens please share ur views .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder

2. robertro

robertro Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 22, 2010
    I had that combo for a while on my E-PL1, and enjoyed it. It was superb in quality and focused perhaps the same or a bit slower than the 20mm lens or the original 14-41 kit lens (which is to say quite slowly). For me, it didn't work out because I was seeking a compact system, and this is a large and heavy lens_adapter combo.

3. flash

flash Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 29, 2010
    1 hour from Sydney Australia.
    Gordon
    The 14-54mkII is my standard zoom on my GH2. Optically it's better than any of the m4/3 zooms. Focus is accurate but a bit slow (like the 20mm). Overall I'm very pleased with it.

Gordon

• Like Like x 1
  4. Van

Van Mu-43 Regular

Apr 10, 2011
    To jump on the bandwagon, I'll third the recommendation. If you don't mind the extra size and weight (the lens isn't much bigger/heavier than a 14-140), it's a fantastic lens. Autofocuses as quickly as a 20/1.7 (which is to say, slow, but faster than you might expect from a 4/3rd lens) and the IQ is spectacular.

(I used mine with a GH2. They pair well together)

5. hkpzee

hkpzee Mu-43 All-Pro

Sep 5, 2011
    Hong Kong
    Patrick
    I use a 4/3 14-54II as my primary zoom lens on my E-P3 these days. Even though the range is lacking compared to my Oly M.ZD 14-150mm, it is usable in more situations due to its larger aperture, and like what others have said, it produces excellent quality images, and focuses sufficiently fast, unless the primary targets of your photos are kids, pets, or other fast moving objects...

Having said that, I am still using my PL25 and Oly 45mm more often because of their lightening fast AF speed, and larger aperture...

6. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    +1
    if only they are produced with m4/3rd mount!

7. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Replace? No.

F/2.8 <> f/1.7 - not by a long shot

I have the Panasonic-Leica "version" and it's OK, but will definitely get replaced when a native mount comes out

8. shnitz

shnitz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Aug 25, 2011
    Austin, TX
    It's pretty much already all been said, but if you're willing to put up with the size, weight, and slower focusing, it's a solid choice, since there aren't any midrange zooms in our format, besides the various kit lenses, many 14-42mm plus the 14-45mm. Optically, zoom lenses pretty much never hold a candle to prime lenses, and then there's the aperture difference. The 20mm is clearly optically superior to the 14-54, and it is 1.5 stops faster. The 45mm is clearly optically superior to the 14-54, and it is almost two stops faster.

If I were getting the 14-54, I would just consider adding a 4/3 body instead of the mmf adapter. You'd think that by now, Olympus or Panasonic would have something like the 12-60 or 14-54, but in m4/3 mount.

• Like Like x 1
  9. snkenai

snkenai Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 5, 2010
    I have been out with my 14-54 on a E-520 today. It is a great lens, if a bit large for my preference. I have bought another body (E-420) with the 25mm pancake lens. Be here in a few days. Wanted to try it. My thinking included the likely-hood of getting another m4/3 body eventually, and use the 25mm with adapter.

10. dhazeghi

dhazeghi Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 6, 2010
    San Jose, CA
    Dara
    It all depends on your use. The kit all the lenses you mention have significantly faster AF than the 14-54II. If AF speed matters, it won't replace them. Moreover, the prime lenses are 1.5-2 stops faster, so for low light and shallow DoF, the primes will offer better performance.

OTOH, the 14-54 is a stop faster than the kit lens, substantially sharper at the long end, and has better close-focus abilities.

If you shoot mostly stationary items in okay to good light, and don't care that much about shallow DoF, the 14-54 is a good replacement for the others. Otherwise, I think you'll find yourself missing the fast AF and fast apertures of the micro 4/3 lenses.

DH

11. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    The 14-54mm is one of my standard commercial lenses for both the PEN and E-System, and I use the original version. The Mark II version is even better for a PEN. It's a classic design and a wonderful piece of optics. For a lens of its specifications, it's also extremely compact. You won't find a nicer physical fit for the PEN in a standard fast zoom. The optics are very good, and the Micro Four-Thirds system does not have any fast zooms.

As far as replacing two prime lenses, that's entirely up to your own shooting style. Usually the question is whether fast primes can replace your fast zoom, not the other way around... Which is best for you depends on your own needs and style. A fast zoom is slightly slower, while a fast prime is normally slightly sharper. A quality fast zoom however can usually keep up quite well in lens speed and optical quality. The 14-54mm is one of those better zooms... moreso in optical quality than lens speed.

12. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

I was also thinking of getting this lens and an adapter for my G1, but the guy at the camera store told me it would not auto focus on my camera.

13. jim_khoo

jim_khoo Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 9, 2010
    Kuala Lumpur
    not sure about G1 but the 1454 II does AF on both my Pen when
    used with a panasonic adapter.

14. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    Nope. G2 or newer only.

15. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Pavel
    14-54 f/2.8-3.5 II is CDAF optimized and focuses on all Micro 4/3 bodies, including 1st generation Panny G-series cameras.

16. RDM

RDM Mu-43 All-Pro

So i guess its the 14-54 f/2.8-3.5 MK I that wont work.

17. Dede

Dede Mu-43 Regular

Oct 10, 2011
    Hey,

I'm thinking about getting this lens for my Olympus E-PM1 right now. I wouldn't mind the extra weigt and size at all, as long as I would still be able to shoot comfortably with it freehanded. Does anyone have a E-PM1 or a similar sized camera with this lens and can say something about the handling? I don't really care about the AF, when I want fast AF I just use the kit lens, but this lens should perform better in low light and in overall quality.

Also, there are some rumors about Panasonic coming out with some faster kit lenses for micro 4/3, do you guys think I should wait for these lenses? I mean, as I said I don't mind the extra weight, as long as I can shoot comfortably. Do you guys think the new Panasonic faster zooms would perform as good in overall quality as this lens does?

Thanks in advance

Edit: I also read about a quality lost which occurs due to the adapting lenses, is this true and noticable? If yes, does it make any major difference?

18. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    I have the Leica version mounted on my G3, and have found it's a bit better to hold the camera by the lens in the left hand, then bring the right hand up to shoot (instead of the other way around)

It will get replaced when the fast native zooms come out.

I have never heard of quality loss when using the 4/3 to m4/3 adapter. When using OTHER adapted non-digital lenses, there can be some loss of image quality either by reflections off the sensor and lack of coating on the back side of the lens, vignetting, etc.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Bhupinder2002

Bhupinder2002 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I have ordered this lens and will see how I go .
    Cheers
    Bhupinder