Olympus 4/3 11-22/2.8-3.5 at 20/3.5 compared with the Panasonic 20/1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by manypix, Mar 31, 2016.

1. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi folks,

I have the Olympus 4/3 (not micro 4/3) 11-22/2.8-3.5 lens that I use on me E-M5. This lens one of my all-time favorites, there's just something about it that's special, even though the focusing isn't fast. I've been wondering about the Panasonic 20/1.7 ever since I got the camera years ago, and since it fits in the focal length range of the 11-22, I wonder how different it is, compared with the 11-22 at 20.

Obviously the f1.7 wide-open lets in a lot more light than the 11-22 can, with f3.5 the widest it goes at 20mm. And the Panasonic probably focuses faster too, even though I've heard it's slow compared with, for example, the 45/1.8. Does anyone have both the 11-22 and the 20? Aside from the light-gathering capabilities and focusing speed, how do they compare? What are the image quality and image character differences?

Thanks!

2. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi folks,

Does no one have both of these lenses?

I'm primarily interested in the differences in image quality and image character. Even a short reply could be useful.

Thanks!

3. nstelemark

nstelemark Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 28, 2013
    Halifax, Nova Scotia Canada
    Larry
    I have seen a comparison of the 14-35f2 and the 20f1.7 but never the 11-22.

4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These lenses are so different in all aspects and rendering differences are so subjective and situational. People generally would not use the 11-22 for the same kinds of shots they would the 20mm f1.7, even though both can do 20mm. Both lenses are very sharp and give great image quality, so probably best just to peruse the 20mm sample threads and draw your own conclusions on the subtleties based on what you are seeing vs what you know the 11-22 can do.

5. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Hi, I have both of these lenses and enjoy them both.

Honestly, I would say that in terms of optical characteristics, they are more similar than they are different, despite vastly different form factors. They are both very sharp, contrasty, with great vibrant colours.

I can't really comment on cross-frame sharpness, both are pretty decent but not exceptional in the corners. I would say the 11-22mm probably has slightly worse CA than the 20mm/1.7, and neither are great when it comes to handling flare. Distortion is never really something I've paid attention to with my M4/3 lenses. The 11-22 is better "out-of-the-box," but isn't perfect. The 20mm/1.7 gets autocorrected for distortion and is very good as a result.

Obviously they handle totally differently, and are used in totally different ways, though. I use my 11-22 when I want ultrawide, and I find a composition while I'm out that works best for 20mm, that's where it ends up. But the 20mm is on my camera when I want something tiny, for low light, for walking around, for environmental portraits, or just for when I feel like a sharp normal lens.

I also almost never manually focus my 20mm/1.7, while I'm sure you're used to doing so almost exclusively with your 11-22 on a CDAF body, as I am. If I'm feeling really lazy I'll let it do its 5 second hunting thing, but most of the time I prefer MF.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  6. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    The 11-22 looks good, but man is it huge. My current walk-around lens for my E-M1 is the Olympus 4/3 14-54 Mk II. According to the specs listed at four-thirds.org, the 11-22 is 2 oz. heavier and about 1/2" longer. I also have the 20/1.7, but there are times it just isn't wide enough for me.

TT

7. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The 14-54 and 11-22 are near enough to identical in size, realistically, especially when you add in the size and weight of the adapter. The 11-22 is 4mm longer and 45g heavier on a combination that is already 110mm long and almost 500g. Carrying either one is a commitment. The 11-22 is wider, the 14-54 II is longer and focuses much better on CDAF bodies. Pick your poison!

Last edited: Apr 4, 2016
  8. tonyturley

tonyturley Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 19, 2014
    Good point . . . what's another ounce or two? :) I am wondering if I would see a lot of difference between the 11mm FOV and the 14mm FOV. Just out of curiosity, I ran the four-thirds.org simulation on the Olympus 7-14mm Pro, and it is even bigger.

TT

9. DoofClenas

DoofClenas Who needs a Mirror!

Nov 9, 2012
    Traverse City, MI
    Clint
    I think the "slow" focusing of the 20 1.7 is over rated. It's still pretty quick, especially when compared to 4/3 lenses that are not Pdaf optimized. When I first started using m4/3 I shot almost solely with the 20mm on an epm2. While I never owned the 11-22, I have owned several other 4/3 lenses and I imagine that it functions a lot like the 14-54mk1, 7-14, 8mm, and 25mm. The best thing about the 20mm, besides how sharp it is, the very compact size.

10. manypix

manypix Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2013
    Portland, OR, USA
    Hi folks,

I have both the 11-22 and the 14-54 II. I use the 11-22 frequently, and the 14-54 almost never. The 14-54 definitely focuses faster on my E-M5, but I've frequently been disappointed by the quality of the images. With the 11-22, I've almost never been disappointed, even though I've had to manually focus 80% of the images from it.

Carrying either is a commitment, the difference for me is that I feel like the price I pay for carrying the 11-22 is usually worth it, and the (almost identical) price for the 14-54 isn't.

The 11mm FOV is hugely different than the 14mm! It's the difference between getting half of a small room in-frame, and getting 1/3 of it. It's the difference between seeing the whole pyramid in context, or not.

-manypix

• Informative Informative x 1