1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 35-100mm on OM-D

Discussion in 'Olympus Cameras' started by jgregs, Feb 2, 2013.

1. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Anybody have a picture so I can get a rough size comparison? I haven't been able to find it anywhere, also can't find a general comparison between this and the native Panasonic 35-100mm

2. Armanius

Armanius Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 23, 2010
    Houston
    Muttley
    Use the Micro Four Thirds or actually Four Thirds' website's matching simulation. On my phone now, so don't know the actual link.

3. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012
    Australia
  4. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    Don't have the 35-100, but do have the 150 f2, similar size. They end up about 4" diameter, 9+" long with adapter. Weight is around 4.5#. Frankly, there is no comparison to the Panasonic as the Olympus is a professional lens. You carry this setup by the lens. It's worth it if you don't mind the weight and size.

You don't carry these lenses unless you need the highest IQ possible and DOF.

• Like Like x 1
  5. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Thanks for the help everyone

Yeah, I figured there wouldn't be a comparison, but saying as I found one for the 45 vs 35-100, it was worth a shot. But yeah Haans, I'm leaning towards the Oly since buying the Olympus lens used puts it at ~$300 for the extra quality that comes with it. And honestly, I'm tired of having to take a bunch of primes with me and considering selling everything that this lens would replace. Any more input from anyone would be greatly appreciated.

6. Promit

Promit Mu-43 All-Pro

Jun 6, 2011
    Baltimore, MD
    Promit Roy
    Just remember it's a monster and the AF will probably not be useful.

7. aloysius

aloysius Mu-43 Regular

Dec 18, 2012
    Nevada City, California
    My real name is unreal
    ED 35-100 on E-M5

Here's the combo:

120904_8933-L.

I've used this setup a lot at concerts. AF is too slow to be practical, but I found MF with the automagic magnification of MF Assist works easily and well. In fact, my keeper rate improved using MF because AF accuracy declines in lower light, for both the E-M5 and the E-30.

• Like Like x 1
  8. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well, its huge, but it looks absolutely awesome.

9. Bravin Neff

Bravin Neff Mu-43 Regular

Sep 25, 2011
    Detroit
    Bravin Neff
    I'm thinking both those SHG lenses look killer!!!

10. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    I am fortunate to have the 35-100 Panasonic for a carry 'round, and the 150 for IQ and DOF. As action is not my forte, the autofocus works just fine, thankfully, the SHG's are not SWD.

flr.

Remember this is about IQ and DOF, not johns - eh, testosterone. Carry one of these a few miles and you will wish it was the Panny...

11. jgregs

jgregs Mu-43 Regular

Nov 21, 2010
    Southern Ontario
    Well considering it'll let me downsize my normal kit that I usually have with me by a lot, I probably wouldn't notice much difference once I sell all the primes I won't need

12. danska

danska Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2012
    Portland, OR
    Joe
    Is there any conclusive evidence of this? Just curious.

13. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    Well there's this:

Olympus Lens: Zooms - Olympus 14-35mm f/2 ED SWD Zuiko Digital (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

vs.

Panasonic Lens: Zooms - Panasonic 12-35mm f/2.8 ASPH POWER OIS LUMIX G X VARIO (Tested) - SLRgear.com!

Note: as far as I know both these tests are from JPEGs not RAW files, so CA is corrected on the Panasonic lens, but not on the Olympus--i.e. the 12-35mm is going to have more CA than what's reported here.

14. gsciorio

gsciorio Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 29, 2011
    Miami, FL
    So loose the fast AF and wide angle plus lug around a massive lens that used is more then the 12-35/2.8 Panny new? Am I missing something?

Not trying to be a smart a$$ I really want to know. Would be amazing if the glass was native micro 4/3 but even at that price I can't see spending about twice as much when the Panasonic fast glass is superb.

15. MAubrey

MAubrey Photographer

Jul 9, 2012
    Bellingham, WA
    Mike Aubrey
    As far as I've seen, the Panasonic can be described as adequate or decent. I'm not sure I'd go with superb.

In any case, you get a larger aperture, better resolution across the frame, and less CA, too for the cost of $$ and weight. Both lenses are compromises. It's just a matter of which compromise you prioritize.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Haans

Haans Mu-43 Regular

Feb 18, 2012
    As I said, I have both lenses, and I find personally, the Olympus is in a totally different class than the Panasonic. I'm not much for pixel peeps, shooting brick walls, stats, etc, but I can easily see that the Oly is supurb, the Panny is VG.
    I addition, if DOF is important to you, the Oly has it. This is a case where the lens is more important than the OMD system. The OMD is arguably the first Olympus camera that can handle the capabilities of the lens.
    Fast AF is not one of my priorities, and I have the Panny if I would need it. I got my 150 for LESS than the Panny. I bought it used. If I could afford both, I surely would get the 35-100. All this said, most important is to use what you have. There is no perfect lens or camera. It's about becoming fast friends with your cameras and lenses.

My priority at this time is a Nikon Coolscan... :biggrin: