Showcase Olympus 35-100mm f/2.0 ZD 4/3

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
The Kymlinge subway station (where the tracks disappear in the far end of the picture) was never completed. The plans for building a suburb around the station were cancelled, but the platform and some other concrete structures in the subway station had already been completed and were sealed off to prevent the public from accessing it. Today, it's a reasonably popular, and forbidden, urban exploration destination in Stockholm. I didn't try to get in, instead I did what I have long wanted to do: shoot the station from the opposing hill with a telephoto lens. 100 mm, f/2.2, 1/640 s, ISO 200.

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
There exists some folklore around the Kymlinge station, sometimes called the "ghost station". One story tells of an unpainted train traveling the Stockholm subway net, its motionless, blank-faced passengers being the recently deceased. Eventually the train stops at Kymlinge, and all the passengers disembark and vanish into thin air. If the train stops at any of the normal stations, any person embarking the train is never to be seen again.

The train heading toward Kymling in this picture is a completely normal train, though. 44 mm, f/2, 1/1000 s, ISO 200.

vjung001

Mu-43 Regular
Picked this lens up earlier this week. Love it already.

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

vjung001

Mu-43 Regular

Real Name
Paul
Picked up one of these uncomfortable hunks of metal from the Borrowlenses sale last month and shot with it yesterday. This thing is huge and unwieldy on my M1mkI, although the battery grip helps somewhat. Still, the SHG goodliness is something to behold and it's worth the trouble. Can't wait to get more experience with it.

I had an EX-25 macro extension tube kicking around in my junk drawer, so I played with it in the backyard. Interestingly, both the 35-100 and the 150 ended up with nearly identical framing at the closest focal distance. Although both were shot at the same fstop, the 150 called for a slower shutter speed and still ended up darker than the 35-100. I can see this having a place, but I'm not very likely to pick this for macro over my 60 or 30.

Next are some shots of my lab and her brother. My girl doesn't like to swim yet, so she lets her brother do the work while she jumps up and down in the shallows. I found that the lens worked well with low FPS shooting. Love the rendering- these SHG lenses are truly special.

Real Name
Paul
A couple more muddy dog pics- my lab and her brother

Real Name
Paul
Watched our Public Works urban forestry folks practice their aerial rescue skills.

The local newspaper sent an intern, so we put him up in a tree to get some shots. He wanted a photo of himself for his internship portfolio, so I was happy to oblige

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
No one ever said this lens lacked image quality. But it gets a bad rap for lack of close focusing, a shortcoming that is easily fixed with the Olympus EX-25 extension tube, and some technique.

For this shot, I started without the extension tube, in manual focus, in order to rack the focus all the close as it can get. This lens has multiple floating elements, and I wanted all of them to be set to their closest focus position.

Then I inserted the EX-25 extension tube. Then I moved back and forth to get the fuzzy composition about how I wanted it, then I actually used the zoom ring to focus! There's a benefit to not having a parfocal zoom sometimes.

I have not been able to do any manual focus at all with the EX-25 attached, which is somewhat disappointing. The biggest thing I hate about this lens is the "focus by wire."

EDIT correction to above: I cannot get manual focus to work with both the EX-25 extension and the EC-14 teleconverter attached at the same time, which was perhaps a foolish thing to try. With the EX-25 alone, manual focus works. But you can use the above technique to use the EX-25 and EC-14 together; you just won't have any way to change focus other than "shoe leather." I still think having the lens set to closest focus may have some benefit, but I have no evidence except that's how floating elements behave on my OM System lenses.

While playing with getting macro to work, the mist started to roll in, and I got distracted.

Back on task: "you're supposed to be picking raspberries, not goofing around with your camera!" the spouse in my head said. For this shot, I manually set the lens as close as it would go, without the EX-25, then moved back and forth to focus.

The other thing people attack about this lens is its size and weight. But it is so damn sharp, I call it my "bag of primes." If I had to pack a 35/2, 50/2, 75/2, 100/2, and a 150/2.8, I'm sure I'd be packing more size and weight.

All of these shots were right out of the camera, with no post-processing.

Last edited:
Real Name
Jan Steinman
Not to highjack this thread, but what do people use the four buttons in the front for?

I've read the manual, which says it stops auto-focus and puts the lens in manual, but on the E-M1.2 (at least) this only works on "SAF+MF" mode. I was sorta hoping it would switch to manual, no matter the camera's focus mode.

I would love it if these buttons put the lens in manual focus any time you pressed them, but that does not appear to be the case.

Do your buttons work differently than mine? If so, I'll see if I can get the seller to pay for repairs. If not, I guess I'll just suck up having a hassle to get into manual focus on this lens.

Rasmus

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Not to highjack this thread, but what do people use the four buttons in the front for?

I've read the manual, which says it stops auto-focus and puts the lens in manual, but on the E-M1.2 (at least) this only works on "SAF+MF" mode. I was sorta hoping it would switch to manual, no matter the camera's focus mode.

I would love it if these buttons put the lens in manual focus any time you pressed them, but that does not appear to be the case.

Do your buttons work differently than mine? If so, I'll see if I can get the seller to pay for repairs. If not, I guess I'll just suck up having a hassle to get into manual focus on this lens.
IIRC they won't set the camera in manual or anything, the only thing they do is turn off the AF motors so the lens stops focusing until the button is released. I guess you can use it a bit the same way you use back button focus IE you can temporarily make it stop focusing when something in the foreground temporarily obscures your subject so the AF won't do a huge refocus.

Brian Miller

New to Mu-43
I have the Olympus 35-100. I mostly use it for theatrical production photography. I have no trouble at all with AF speed on my E-M1s (both mk1 and 2), and am totally thrilled with it. www.brianmiller.biz/Crucible.htm for samples. Last year I got the 14-35 as well, and use it on the mk1, while the 35-100 is on the mk2. Hit <Previous> on that page to see the more recent examples.

Real Name
Paul
My brother is on the local sheriff's volunteer dive team, so through them I've been asked to take in-water photos of the Special Olympics Polar Plunge the last few years. Yesterday, I thought I'd try shooting two bodies- a M5mkII with the PL 8-18 attached to a retractor and my trusty M1mkI and 35-100. Standing in waist-deep water, I wasn't about to let the rig just dangle so I got to handhold that heavy hunk of metal and glass- I see why so many of you have switched from bigger systems to M43 (my first ILC was in the format). Anyways- the timing of the event is such that the sun is directly in my face; bad enough in previous years with cloudy skies, but yesterday's bluebird day was a challenge.
I like the out-of-focus mallard in this one
Waiting for the event to start

The glare!

41-degree water would make you levitate, too

Real Name
Paul
Who wants to see some dog pics?

My pup is in the middle, my brother's labs are on either side. His pup Cannoli on the left is the litter mate to my Anne; he liked having a lab so much he got a chocolate pup last fall (Dina on the right).

My girl get's lots of exercise and is very very fast; her tubby brother had a head start and she still passed him by like yesterday's egg salad.

Action shot! Cannoli's extra buoyancy pays off in the swimsuit competition, where we need to entice Anne with treats to get her past wading depth.

I thought the white lab thing was hard enough to photograph, but my other brother had to put things into perspective by getting a springer pup to highlight dynamic range.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
Two of our farm volunteers, enjoying a fire — thanks to our unseasonably cool and wet summer, without which, we'd be under a burn ban by now.

The combination of bright ƒ/2 focal ratio and IBIS makes for wonderful available-light shooting!

Top Bottom