Olympus 30mm f3.5 macro

Lee Johnson

New to Mu-43
I have recently purchased an Olympus em10 Mark iii it came with the ez pancake kit lens . I was also able to claim the 45mm f1.8 free from Olympus UK.

My plan is to have a set of prime lenses 17mm f1.8 and something in the middle.

My original thought was the 25mm f1.8 but I’m now debating the 30mm instead

Wondering if others use the 30mm f3.5 as a general use lens with the benefit of its macro capabilities?
If so what pros and cons etc?

ScottinPollock

Mu-43 Veteran
It's small and cheap and a good macro lens, but has no bayonet for a hood. So no lens hood unless you want to mess with a third party, screw on (via filter threads) model.

Because of that I rarely use it for regular outdoor stuff.

thazooo

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Dana F.
I use mine regularly. Mostly Close Focus rather than macro, and as a short Tele. I have my low end covered with a Pan 14, Sig 19, and the 30. After that I jump to zooms.
The 30 is a nice lens. The only down side I find is that I have to throw a little flash in sooner than I'd expect.

Zairski

Mu-43 Regular
It’s light and sharp and had threads for filters. Good makeshift standard lens but not fast for low light. There is an image thread on here take a look.

mawz

Mu-43 Regular
How much macro do you do?

If macro really isn't a need, then the Sigma 30/2.8 is cheaper, faster and very sharp. But it isn't really a close focusing lens (1:7.4 or so magnification, fine for flowers but not real macro)

I saw the title of the thread and took a photo in the front yard of some barrel cactus flowers. My experience with this lens is that it focuses quickly without searching back and forth.
I have a UV filter and a collapsible rubber lens shade on mine. I like how light and small this lens is.
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

and a tight crop to show detail
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Lee Johnson

New to Mu-43
How much macro do you do?

If macro really isn't a need, then the Sigma 30/2.8 is cheaper, faster and very sharp. But it isn't really a close focusing lens (1:7.4 or so magnification, fine for flowers but not real macro)
I’ve been using a Canon G1x ii for a few years so never had a proper macro lens. To be honest I’m not sure how much macro I might do but thought it might be fun to give it a go!

If I don’t go with the 30mm I think I will stick with Olympus and get the 25mm

x_holger

Mu-43 Regular
It's small and cheap and a good macro lens, but has no bayonet for a hood. So no lens hood unless you want to mess with a third party, screw on (via filter threads) model.

Because of that I rarely use it for regular outdoor stuff.
I purchased mine recently, so I didn't get a chance to use it outdoors yet.
But from what I can see in these test pictures https://www.lenstip.com/494.9-Lens_review-Olympus_M.Zuiko_Digital_ED_30_mm_f_3.5_Macro_Ghosting_and_flares.html
the lens only flares when the sun/light source is inside the frame.
As soon as you move the light source outside the frame the lens stops flaring.
So there doesn't seem to be much reason to add a lens hood .... + the front lens is rather small and not very prone to flares.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Not a very fast lens for everyday use compared to a 25mm, plus you have a 45mm.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
I don't own the lens, seems it's one of the few I haven't :oops:. But I did look into it seriously last year. Th only negatives I found were the obvious that it's slow for a daily use prime and that 30mm for a macro might be a bit short. A 60mm eq macro doesn't leave you much working distance and can be an issue for lighting.

Otherwise all the reviews said it was sharp and quick to focus. And quick to focus and macro lens aren't things you normally hear in the same sentence.

If you don't really need the macro I'd look at the Oly 25, it's truly wonderful lens. If price is an issue then I'd look at the Sigma 30mm f/2.8. Not quite as good as the Oly 25, but it is a bargain for sure.

x_holger

Mu-43 Regular
My Olympus 3.5/30 Macro was actually cheaper than the Sigma 2.8/30 .... There was an Olympus summer promotion that saved me 100 Euros on the lens, so it was only 159,- Euros incl. shipping.

Lee Johnson

New to Mu-43
So I purchased the Olympus 30 over the weekend for £225 (Jessops) so far so good. Thank you for all the replies

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom