Showcase Olympus 30mm f/3.5 Macro

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by didin21, Oct 15, 2016.

1. didin21

didin21 New to Mu-43

Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 21
    • Winner Winner x 5
    • Wow Wow x 1
  2. didin21

didin21 New to Mu-43

Oct 11, 2016
    • Like Like x 25
    • Winner Winner x 2
  3. Amazing images, congratulations.

4. Vinod Menon

Vinod Menon New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2016
    Vinod Menon
    Amazing snaps...
    How close were these subjects from the lens?? I anted to get to macro photography and would really appreciate your guidance.

Last edited by a moderator: Oct 21, 2016
  5. theoldsmithy

theoldsmithy Mu-43 Regular

Mar 19, 2013
    Hereford, UK
    Martin Connolly
    Were those just with this lens or did you use a raynox or similar too? I'm looking for a macro lens for a reasonable price and these look great.

Last edited: Oct 25, 2016
  6. mjgraaf

mjgraaf Mu-43 Regular

Feb 9, 2014
    Netherlands
    Menno
    Why did you not use the 60mm macro? Seems to me a bit more applicable for macro insect shots because you can stay further away from the insect....

• Sad Sad x 1
  7. didin21

didin21 New to Mu-43

Oct 11, 2016
    Can't tell exactly how close it was. Very close anyway!

I used just the lens with no additionnal element. I tried a raynox dcr250 once and the subject is hit at highest magnification.

Yes, you are right, the 60mm is generaly more suitable for bugs because of longer working distance but I did not feel so limited with the tiny 30mm.

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. Rambling Sam

Rambling Sam Mu-43 Regular

May 27, 2016
    Reading, Berkshire, UK
    Sam
    A bit like swings and roundabouts; the 60mm means you don't have to get in so close, whilst the 30mm will give you deeper DoF, when both lenses are used on the same f-stop. I don't think the 30mm has a 'distance limiter' controller built into it, which to me is a very useful feature. Since the images shown, employ focus bracketing, it's not possible to say which lens is better optically. Personally, the 60mm suits me better.

9. didin21

didin21 New to Mu-43

Oct 11, 2016
    pics shown in my second post are not focus bracketed. This 30 mm has an impressive sharpness and I am used to use macro lenses from 28mm to 150mm.
    The 60mm is probably a better tool for bugs hunting but if you want a more versatile focal length that is also a very competent macro tool then this 30mm is to be considered.

• Like Like x 3
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    At the same magnification, at the same f-stop, your depth of field will be, wait for it...the same. You'll be closer with the shorter lens, your perspective will be different, but DoF will be exactly the same.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. Snowonuluru

Snowonuluru Mu-43 Veteran

Great shots! I'm perplexed as to why there are not more pictures in this thread. Is it a less popular lens for any reason?

• Agree Agree x 1
  12. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Hi, it's new, and short macros can be hard to use for things that get scared (bugs) due to short working distance. It's really a niche lens.

13. Snowonuluru

Thanks! I read a review by Robin Wong, he mentioned the same issue. However he did go on to say that because of the greater magnification factor, one could get a good sized image from a farther distance. Would really like to see others experience on this.

14. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler Subscribing Member

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
    Robin says:
    "I also acknowledge that the longer 60mm macro lens will provide significantly better working distance for shooting insect macro."
    Robin Wong: Olympus M.Zuiko 30mm F3.5 Macro Lens Review

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I'm also surprised. I know the 60mm is the king of Oly M4/3 macro right now, but those first shots are pretty great—definitely beats the other macro 'option', the 12–50. I had taken this lens off my wish list based on some comments, but I'm going to do a little more research. I like the occasional bug but I'm mostly flowers and other stuff. Seems I might need to reconsider the 30mm for the price.

My biggest concern would be the lack of focus stacking. But for half the price, I can focus bracket myself. :D

Last edited: Apr 14, 2017
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  16. Snowonuluru

Haha, I've been holding back on the 60mm hoping to see some pictures using the 30mm lens in this forum. One other good thing with the 60mm is that it is weather proof, a consideration for shooting outdoors and in moist environment I guess.

• Agree Agree x 1
  17. Web-Betty

Web-Betty Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jun 16, 2013
    Denver
    Melissa
    I have several other weather sealed lenses and for my needs, don't think this is worth the cost of the 60mm; but it's definitely a consideration for others.

18. Rasmus

Rasmus Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Nov 16, 2013
    Stockholm, Sweden.
    Aren't short macros also rather useful for underwater photography? Of course, underwater is also quite a niche...

19. Andy H.

Andy H. Mu-43 Regular

Just got my 30mm Macro today and took this pic at 12cm distance. Purposely took at a skewed angle to see DOF difference.
    dmSLtne.

• Like Like x 4
  20. Christian Braun

Christian Braun Mu-43 Regular

Feb 21, 2017
    Flims Waldhaus GR, Switzerland
    Christian Braun
    Dandelion
    blob.
    Olympus PEN-F, Olympus 30mm 3.5 Macro, HDR with Photomatix, 5 exposures, Tripod

• Like Like x 12
    • Wow Wow x 2