Olympus 300mm Pro listing of reviews or user experiences

Nawty

Mu-43 Regular
I guess this will impress you. Much better pictures than any of the review websites. I'm inclined to buy it now.

Fleming Photographic

Without teleconvertor
9d6a0c_a85103bb932d49539936cca01457892c.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

With TC

9d6a0c_5f3d50d8675f4ba8969a5a732d2901ec.jpg

Some of those are stunning but the one with the OOF eagle in the background has properly fugly bokeh. Not all of them do though so maybe something to do with the TC an certain conditions.

hoodlum

Mu-43 Top Veteran
This was from one of the review but I though it would be useful to post on it own.

mzd-300-f4-is-pro-presentation-220.jpg

mzd-300-f4-is-pro-presentation-230.jpg

Lcrunyon

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Loren
That table shows some older cameras will also get a fw update for Sync IS. I guess Oly looks at the need for this differently as (I am assuming) the Body/Lens IS conflict means they won't work together at all.

Interesting that you can't have one IS on and the other off (though I can't think of any reason why I would want to).

Ranger Rick

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rick
A thought on pricing:

"Gorgeous Nikon AF-S NIKKOR 300mm f/2.8G ED VR II lens for sale. Used several times only, excellent condition.
B&H sells these for $5497, i offer great discount - $4500 net to me, PayPal accepted."

Jonathan F/2

Mu-43 Legend

maritan

Mu-43 Veteran

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
I assume this is the dot site referred to in the review. EE-1 Dot Sight | Olympus

At the December meeting of one of our photo clubs a well known outdoor photographer gave tips about landscapes and wildlife shooting. One of the tips about shooting animals, especially birds, is to use a dot site with a long lens. Too often it can take too long to find the animal, especially a bird in flight, via the lens. This tip would apply to using any camera system (35mm FF, 35mm crop, 43, M43) with long glass. So for those getting the 300Pro or the Leica 100-400 it something to consider.

mcasan

Mu-43 All-Pro
Original lens review in Japanese. 伊達淳一のレンズが欲しいッ!:M.ZUIKO DIGITAL ED 300mm F4.0 IS PRO - デジカメ Watch
Google translation: Google Translate

I asked a native Japanese speaker on another site to translate and summarize the main points of the original Japanese version:
1. The 6-stop equivalent of 5-axis image stabilization is only possible on E-M1 and E-M5 MkII (with the firmware 4.0 and 2.0 and later, respectively). On other Olympus bodies, you can only select "either" in-lens or in-body IS. On Panasonic bodies, you can only use the in-lens IS. (I'm not sure about the compatibility with GX7 and GX8)
2. The tripod colar has an integrated Srca-Swiss compatible foot.
3. The decoration ring to replace the tripod colar accompanies the package. I don't like the idea of "decoration rings" incorporated by both Oly and Panny, though. Anyway, the removal or tripod colar reduces the lens by 200g.
4. The lens weighs 1.475g (with the colar) and 1,270g (without the colar), which is roughly the same as the non-PF AF-S Nikkor 300/4.0.
5. The lens is superior to the Zuiko 300/2.8 for the 4/3 mount stopped down to f4.0, in terms of the contrast, the resolution and the image quality into the peripheral areas, according to Olympus.
6. The sample images of the part of Tokyo Sky Tree are shot with Oly E-M1 and Panny GX8. The order is (from top to bottom): E-M1 images: the center with the lens only, the top right corner with the lens only, the center with the MC-14 teleconverter, the top right corner with the MC-14 and GX8 images (the same order). Bare in mind that the photographer suspects the influence of the atmospheric haze may affect the contrast especially when the teleconverter is attached..
7. The blue patches of the sky are the test images for the light fall-off. The three patches below are the results with MC-14.
8. AF is faster and more accurate on E-M1, thanks to its phase-detect photosites. According to the general impression of the tester, 70% of the images shot with E-M1 was of 80-90 point (out of 100) quality, whereas those shot with GX1 was of better than 95 point quality when focus was spot on, but the success rate was as low as 30%.
9. The EVF on GX8 make it easier to chase the subject than that of E-M1. Also, the "Touch Pad" function on GX8 made easier to change the AF point around with his tumb on the touch-sensitive LCD by keeping looking intot the EVF.
10. The tester recommends the "Dot SIte" EE-1 to get the subject back into the frame when you lose it. He uses the additional brackets to place EE-1 so that you can keep looking into the EVF with the right eye while looking in to EE-1 with the left eye. The sample images of flying seagulls and a flying butterfly were shot this way.
You should be able to see the shooting data (shutter speed, aperture, exposure comp., and ISO). The first batch was shot with E-M1 and the latter batch, with GX8.

Latest threads

Top Bottom