Olympus 300mm Pro listing of reviews or user experiences

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mcasan, Jan 5, 2016.

1. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Last edited: Jan 7, 2016
    • Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  2. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    What a gorgeous lens! I'll probably never own one, but I love that Olympus keeps doing awesome things!

3. Robstar1963

Robstar1963 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 10, 2011
    Isle of Wight England UK
    Robert (Rob)
    Looks like an astonishingly good lens from the SLR-gear review
    Incredible "Sync I.S", incredibly compact (by comparison) and incredibly sharp - what more could you ask for ?
    Look out for a glut of DSLRs on the used market perhaps ? as more users switch to M43 and perhaps for new users as this brings super telephoto to those who might otherwise not be willing or able manage to handle such large focal lengths from the DSLR ranges
    Like lowrider I will probably never be able to afford to buy or justify owning one but it gives me something to dream about - I like to have something out of reach sometimes - something elusive !
    I know that M43 has its issues such as shutter shock and parts falling off here and there but the system does sometimes seem to be leading the way in terms of technological advances and innovation
    Long live M43 !!!
    Regards Rob

Last edited: Jan 6, 2016
    • Agree Agree x 1
  4. Klorenzo

Klorenzo Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 10, 2014
    Lorenzo
    "Adding the 1.4x teleconverter, you can further enhance the macro shooting capabilities, boosting the magnification ratio to 0.67x"

"he saw 100% of shots rated "Good" down to 1/15s"

"built-in Arca-Swiss-compatible dovetails along the base of the tripod foot"

"includes a three-way slider switch for limiting focus (1.4-4m, 1.4m-infinity, and 4m-infinity)"

https://mirrorlessons.smugmug.com/O.../Olympus-300mm-Pro-review-image-samples-9.jpg
    https://mirrorlessons.smugmug.com/O...Olympus-300mm-Pro-review-image-samples-16.jpg

:)

• Like Like x 1
  5. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    • Agree Agree x 1
  6. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I've posted here about using silent mode when using the 75-300, and it also helps shorter lenses. There will probably still be people who don't believe in SS.

7. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    I guess I assume there must be a drawback, not knowing much about it. I'm going to start trying it.

8. Speedliner

Speedliner Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 2, 2015
    Southern NJ, USA
    Rob
    More reviews than I expected so far.

Mirrorless Lessons dinged it for bokeh quality and CAF performance. Guess it's up to the e-m1mk2 to improve both.

Looking forward to more reviews, especially comparisons with alternatives like the PL100-400, 50-200 with TCs, and metaboned Canons.

9. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

I haven't tried it on Olympus, but for Panasonic it involves the electronic shutter which can mean odd scanning distortions with fast moving objects. It can be problematic for wildlife or airplanes for that reason. Maybe someone with more experience with Olympus' implementation can say if the same is true on their cameras.

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  10. Nathanael

Nathanael Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 12, 2015
    It's the same on Olympus. Google "rolling shutter" for a number of sites that explain the phenomenon. Here's one example The Math Behind the Rolling Shutter Phenomenon

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    Over on the f1.2 thread, I said:

In an earlier thread, I discussed Oly's strategic approach to lens making before we got the details on the 300. The 300 f4 did everything I suggested Oly would have to do - complex design, superior IQ & all that translates into more metal, weight & cost. :bravo-009::clapping::clapping:

I expect Oly will do the same w/ the f1.2 primes & hopefully some of those will be WA.

As the owner of the amazing ZD 300 f2.8, hearing that the f4 pro is even sharper is truly stunning. There is no 300mm lens on the market w/ 17 elements & 4 different kinds of glass. It will be interesting to learn if the Oly 300's resolution per picture height can challenge the legendary Canon EF 300mm f2.8 II, 16 elements & all.

Now Oly really must fix the OMD CAF tracking performance.

• Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  12. tradesmith45

tradesmith45 Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 13, 2012
    Oregon
    BTW, since I own the ZD 300, I've been telling myself that I'll wait awhile to buy the MZ300 f4 so the production kinks get worked out.

The more I look at images from this lens, I'm wondering how long I'll be able to hold out!

13. jdthebigj

jdthebigj Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2012
    Fremont, CA
    JD
    I guess this chart says it all. The new lens is really sharp, much more than the Old

upload_2016-1-6_19-38-41. upload_2016-1-6_19-39-2.

Personally I'm awaiting the equivalent of this chart pasted below. IF Olympus has been able to design the lens to work with TC1.4 without causing much degradation then I'll surely be in favor of purchasing the lens. I hope they design a 1.6 TC which is especially made for this lens as EC20 was made for the ZD300. That'd make my day.

upload_2016-1-6_19-43-51.

Attached Files:

• Agree Agree x 1
  14. 50orsohours

50orsohours Mu-43 All-Pro

Oct 13, 2013
    Portland Oregon
    Not impressed with those 2 mirrorlessons shots. I guess you don't have to be a great photographer to yak about camera gear.

• Agree Agree x 1
  15. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    Just like you don't have to be a mechanic to be a good driver.

• Agree Agree x 2
  16. jdthebigj

jdthebigj Mu-43 Regular

Aug 28, 2012
    Fremont, CA
    JD
    I guess this will impress you. Much better pictures than any of the review websites. I'm inclined to buy it now.

Fleming Photographic

Without teleconvertor
    9d6a0c_a85103bb932d49539936cca01457892c.

With TC

9d6a0c_5f3d50d8675f4ba8969a5a732d2901ec.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 4
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1