Olympus 300mm f4 - What am I doing wrong?

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
More test! (Sorry sorry)

Test 7 - 4 pictures. SAF, IBIS on, Single AF placed on birds head, Low Seq, Anti Shock Off.

40-150, 40-150 w/ MC14, 300, 300 w/ MC14
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Test 8 - Same lens setup (300 + MC14). Testing SAF v CAF with and without IBIS

A - SAF - IBIS On

B - SAF - IBis OFF

C - CAF - IBIS ON

D- CAF - IBIS OFF

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Final test (I promise)

BIF - CAF - 5 point Focus - IBIS on

40-150 without MC14

40-150 with MC14

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Looking through the tests today looks like the MC14 is a little off focus at times. And when shooting long-distance, birds say 20 meters away, the focus looks to front focus.

@Phocal with that software, do you test and do micro-adjustments at multiple distances? The Heron that filled the frame looks good across the board, it's just BIF and birds that barely fill the center box that focus is off.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
Looking through the tests today looks like the MC14 is a little off focus at times. And when shooting long-distance, birds say 20 meters away, the focus looks to front focus.

@Phocal with that software, do you test and do micro-adjustments at multiple distances? The Heron that filled the frame looks good across the board, it's just BIF and birds that barely fill the center box that focus is off.
The error in PDAF for mirrorless is in the lens and lens error will vary by distance. It's why I say to do the micro adjustment for the distance you mostly shoot. Now it is possible to have more than one micro adjustment for a lens and you could do a short/medium/long range adjustment. But you would have to select the one you want to use and could lead to a lot of confusion and wrong adjustment selected.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
The error in PDAF for mirrorless is in the lens and lens error will vary by distance. It's why I say to do the micro adjustment for the distance you mostly shoot. Now it is possible to have more than one micro adjustment for a lens and you could do a short/medium/long range adjustment. But you would have to select the one you want to use and could lead to a lot of confusion and wrong adjustment selected.
good to know, thank you.I’ll do the tests and go from there.

AlexMachine

Mu-43 Veteran
@AlexMachine interesting you don’t use IBIS with BIF? Is that because you’re using fast shutter speeds don’t need the IBIS support?

You also mention em1.1 - the 1.2 replaces myset with custom modes 1-3 on the dial, right? I remember my em5 had myset but not seen them on the em1.2
Don’t know about em1.2, sorry.
I have tried with IBIS on different modes and BIF without has been best, for me, and yes fast shutter speeds.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
I recommend reading this post I did about doing a Micro Focus Adjustment because it goes into a lot more detail. Short answer is for mirrorless the error is in the lens and will be different for each and every lens. It's why I recommend doing/checking every lens you will use CAF with. For DSLR's they also have to contend with there being error in the camera because the two sensors (image and focus) are not parallel. This error will be there for every lens plus a DSLR still has the lens error to worry about.

Also of note is that error in the camera (DSLR only) will be the same regardless of focus distance. Error in the lens will vary by focus distance. It's why I recommend doing the adjustment at your typically shooting distance.

any other questions don't hesitate to ask
So today was the day I took Focus Tune and Lens align out the box and spend the weekend doing adjustments.

However, their software is 3 years out of date and doesn't work on the latest macOS 🤦‍♂️

So I guess its going back.

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
So today was the day I took Focus Tune and Lens align out the box and spend the weekend doing adjustments.

However, their software is 3 years out of date and doesn't work on the latest macOS 🤦‍♂️

So I guess its going back.
Contact them as ask about it. He is super responsive and immediately fixed a problem with the EM1mk2 when someone reported it.

mrjoemorgan

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Joe M
Contact them as ask about it. He is super responsive and immediately fixed a problem with the EM1mk2 when someone reported it.
I've dropped him an email, will see what he comes back with. Also surprised by the lack of instructions or walkthrough of what you're supposed to do, or does that come with the software? Your instructions are way more comprehensive, he should hire you 😉

Phocal

Mu-43 Legend
I've dropped him an email, will see what he comes back with. Also surprised by the lack of instructions or walkthrough of what you're supposed to do, or does that come with the software? Your instructions are way more comprehensive, he should hire you 😉
Thanks, I believe there are some videos you can watch on his site. Pretty sure that is how I figured it out initially, plus a lot of trial and error to really fine tune processes.

@Phocal the 8.2ft distance per 100mm is that 35m equiv?

For the 300mm + 1.4x that's 70 feet which is about 20 meters
I do my lenses at 50 feet, feel that is about perfect for my typical shooting. Now that I am in Alaska I may have refine that, time will tell.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom