Showcase Olympus 300mm f/4 PRO

pondball

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Arrived home the other night (late afternoon) from a 3 hour drive and while we were unpacking and dragging stuff back into the house my wife noticed this "little" guy on the wall (outside). At first, due to its size, we thought it was a bat. It was pretty dark under the porch soffit so we couldn't tell for sure. I figured the easiest way was to get out my 300/4 and get a close up. As it turns out the porch wasn't wide enough and I had to either lean back over the railing or stand on the steps. I tried both, handheld and was able to get some shots as low as 1/15th (who says its one of the focal length eh!) but was happier with this shot, cropped to 16:9. I seriously didn't think it would turn out very well as the lighting was so poor. Hoped the moth would be there the next day in better light but he/she obviously had other ideas and took off sometime through the night. I should have shone a flashlight or something on him but really didn't have time. The travel coffee was calling!
btw... the bricks are standard size house bricks (sideways)... and the moth really was about the same size as a bat that often frequents our porch at night.

Moth0001.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
Arrived home the other night (late afternoon) from a 3 hour drive and while we were unpacking and dragging stuff back into the house my wife noticed this "little" guy on the wall (outside). At first, due to its size, we thought it was a bat. It was pretty dark under the porch soffit so we couldn't tell for sure. I figured the easiest way was to get out my 300/4 and get a close up. As it turns out the porch wasn't wide enough and I had to either lean back over the railing or stand on the steps. I tried both, handheld and was able to get some shots as low as 1/15th (who says its one of the focal length eh!) but was happier with this shot, cropped to 16:9. I seriously didn't think it would turn out very well as the lighting was so poor. Hoped the moth would be there the next day in better light but he/she obviously had other ideas and took off sometime through the night. I should have shone a flashlight or something on him but really didn't have time. The travel coffee was calling!
btw... the bricks are standard size house bricks (sideways)... and the moth really was about the same size as a bat that often frequents our porch at night.

View attachment 763818
Maybe the bat got it.

RR Jonny

Mu-43 Veteran
With the 300mm + MC-14. This subject was very cooperative and appreciated the space provided by the long reach of the combo.
P7290122.jpg
P7290136.jpg
P7290190.jpg

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Testing out my MC20!
Little Pied Cormorant at Sandy Camp Wetland, Brisbane.

48444585297_6e85c13239_z.jpg

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Intermediate Egret

20190803 - 154.jpg

Last edited:

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
Rainbow Bee Eater

20190727 - 057.jpg

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I just got this lens and took it to Nickerson Beach to photograph sea birds as the day ended. I've been to this beach with the 50-200 SWD, Lumix 45-175, and the Sigma APO 300mm f4 Tele Macro.

I've never had so many keepers in one sitting. It is sharp, easy to focus, and produces stunning colors and bokeh. The CAF on this lens ROCKS!!!

_SBA5811.jpg
_SBA5510.jpg
_SBA5438.jpg
_SBA5426.jpg
_SBA5393.jpg

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
Traffic Pattern
1908_untitled_013_DxO.jpg

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
_SBA6546.jpg

Bristolero

Mu-43 All-Pro
1908_untitled_125_DxO.jpg

Last edited:

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Angus
20190803 - 178.jpg

Latest threads

Top Bottom