Showcase Olympus 300mm f/4 PRO

Angus Gibbins

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Angus
Pair of Rainbow Bee Eaters at Sandy Camp Road Wetlands Reserve

I've been wanting this short for ages and on Sunday the patience finally paid off!

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
I'll never understand why somebody would have their horse wear a halter on the pasture, though. But I admit that this is off topic here and certainly not the lenses fault.
But the lens did bring the issue sharply into focus!
Brian

Ruairi

Mu-43 Rookie

The lens that keeps on giving.

Carbonman

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Graham
This first establishing shot was taken to show the relative magnification of the 2 images following:

25mm Point of View of 440 Foot Tele Shot
by Graham Moore, on Flickr
This is an uncropped but resized image shot hand held with the 300mm Pro and MC-20 teleconverter. As captioned it was at a distance of about 440' (134m) from my office.

440 Foot Uncropped Resize
This is a full size crop of the image above. You can read the words 'BITE ME' on his tape measure. I was stunned at how sharp this combination of lens and teleconverter is across the entire image.

440 Foot No-Resize Crop
None of the pictures have had any sharpening, color, contrast, exposure or other adjustments. They were exported from OV3.

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
From yesterday, Rosefinch (crosspost with Share Birds thread)
@f4 & MC-20

rfortson

Mu-43 Veteran
@ripterr How does the MC-20 compare to the MC-14? I'm wondering if it's worth it to buy the MC-20 or if cropping with the MC-14 will give similar sharpness.
I just picked up the MC20. I've had the MC14 for a while. The MC14 is okay (seems to work better on the 300 than the 40-150 for me), but the MC20 seems noticeably better than the MC14 so far. I just got it yesterday so I haven't done much testing, but the quick shots I took yesterday looked really good. I plan to get out this weekend and shoot some comparisons.

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I just picked up the MC20. I've had the MC14 for a while. The MC14 is okay (seems to work better on the 300 than the 40-150 for me), but the MC20 seems noticeably better than the MC14 so far. I just got it yesterday so I haven't done much testing, but the quick shots I took yesterday looked really good. I plan to get out this weekend and shoot some comparisons.
I have both as well but haven't done any real pixel peeping comparisons, would be interesting to see :) My experience is that it definitely provides more detail than cropping from using MC-14, I'm actually really surprised to see how good it can deliver in the right conditions when using low ISO and with no camera shake blur though there's clearly a higher risk of that even if the stabilization system is impressive. It's also easier than I thought to find the subject in the viewer though the really long reach...

PeHa

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Whatever the future is for Olympus gear, I'll just proceed shooting with mine, just now I can't see anything better for my needs as when shooting small birds.
The bokeh doesn't suffer much IMO with the MC-20 as I've seen with some other teleconverter combos.
Yellow Wagtail standing on a footbridge rail
50062385562_678e020fdb_o.jpg

Whinchat
50062385852_edfafe123a_o.jpg

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom