Showcase Olympus 300mm f/4 PRO

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Tifoso

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Giuseppe
with MC20 on M1x

woollyback

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Rob

Hendrik

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Hendrik
Where I normally go walking, I don't typically have the luxury of birds that have any interest in anything other than keeping a healthy 50 meters distance from me. Not so Norumbega. The geese see you and think, "There's a likely mark," and head straight for you. Not so much the mallards, but they tend to mingle with the geese and pay no mind to the humans on shore. I was curious what sort of results might be forthcoming from the 300 Pro + MC-20 if my only problem was keeping the subject from intersecting with the frame edge on all sides. A shout-out to Oly Sync-IS: being able to shoot reliably at a shutter speed of 1 over 1/3 the effective focal length is insanely great.

Canada Goose:

Mallard:

Attachments

JayZay87

Mu-43 Regular
So I recently decided to upgrade from the 40-150 Pro to the 300mm f4 Pro. As much as I would have loved to have both, financially it wasn't an option for me. Most of the stuff I shoot consists of either small birds or distant wildlife, and I tried the 40-150 Pro with the 1.4x tele with decent results (really an exceptional lens for that particular zoom range), but really wanted the extra reach since I was almost always using it at the long end of the zoom range.

Thanks to the rain easing off this afternoon I was able to get outside and test the new lens out. I have to say I am very impressed with the image stabilization considering the effective focal distance of 600mm, and blown away by how sharp this lens is. I did as much research as I could on this lens as I do for all equipment purchases, but I am even more impressed than I thought I would be after using it. I just find myself staring at this lens a lot, it's just an impressive piece of engineering in design and function.
This may be my only M4/3 lens now, and deep down I do wish I had the flexibility of a zoom, but I have no regrets and perhaps I'll be able to acquire a 40-150 Pro again down the road which would make an excellent all-round wildlife kit.

Below are some sample images, cropped a little and with minor edits. It was relatively dark and overcast and I shot mostly wide open.
Thanks for looking!

Mule deer​

Black oystercatcher​

Killdeer​

Belted kingfisher​

Belted kingfisher​

Double-crested cormorant​

Barrow's goldeneye​

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom