1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 25mm or 35mm for E-PL1?

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by MacBook, Dec 28, 2010.

1. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I am interested in these lenses for slightly different reasons. I have a couple of questions about them.

1. Is there a difference in IQ? The 35mm seems well-regarded. I haven't read quite as much about the 25mm.
    2. Do they both autofocus on the E-PL1 (with the adapter)?

Thanks for any information.

2. ~tc~

~tc~ Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 22, 2010
    Houston, TX
    These aren't "native" lenses ... wrong section.

3. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Magically, the thread is now in its proper forum!:biggrin: So on with the discussion!:wink:

4. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    Thanks for the correction. Perhaps they could be called adopted lenses in the adapted lenses forum.

5. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

:wink::tongue:

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    two very different lenses

I dont have the 35mm - but it is slower at f3.5, and its primarily a macro lens, and physically larger.

I have the Oly 25mm - which I havent used on a micro 4/3 - but did use for a while on my E-510. Just tried it on an E-P1 and it seems to focus - though not as quickly as on the 510. It looks like its a nice fit on the smaller camera even with the adapter

Havent really used it much since I now have the Panasonic 25/1.4 which is a different beast altogether, plus the Panasonic 20/1.7.

Really depends on what kind of shots you are planning to take

this is the only shot i have handy taken with the 25/2.8 - on a 510

3617097215_c703be1e77_b.jpg
    Ou est Notre Dame? by kevinparis, on Flickr

cheers

Kevin

7. I'm the opposite of Kevin - have the 35mm, not the 25mm. The 35/3.5 is a nice, sharp lens with true 1:1 macro capability. AF is fast enough on an E-410 SLR, but SLOW on an E-P1. It's comparable with the other early 4/3 lenses, although it the AF zigs when it should have zagged it has a long focus travel to cycle through. AF may be slightly faster on an E-PL1. It does not have a lot of glass in it (front element is barely half an inch diameter) so it is light for its size and doesn't feel unbalanced on a Pen. It's small but not m4/3 small, and probably at least twice as long as the 25/2.8.

8. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I like the B&W shot, and also think the smaller and somewhat faster focusing lens would be more interesting to me. The macro is not important. I think the 50mm equivalency would be a nice one. I am going to try to find a used one over the next several weeks to fit on the E-PL1 as the walkabout lens instead of the 14-42 kit.

By the way, Kevin, I viewed your Aperture video and it was quite nice. I have been using Aperture 3 for awhile, but got more insight into using it from the video.

9. If you don't need/want macro, definitely get the 25/2.8.

10. et100

et100 Mu-43 Regular

Feb 15, 2010
    Chicago area - USA
    i used to own the 35mm and used on E-PL1 but the focus is very slow and even misses sometimes :-(
    otherwise i like the lens for its macro capabilities and you could also use it for general photography or certain types of portraits (given the 70mm equivalent)

11. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    macbook... thanks for the kind words.... must get around to doing some more of those Aperture videos :)

remember if you are looking into using 4/3 lenses and dont have a 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter from Olympus or Panasonic, then you have to factor in that cost... which is probably going to be $100 plus.

personally if i was looking for a walkaround prime I would look at the Pana 20/1.7 - its a better, faster and smaller lens

here is a set of my recent shots with the 20/1.7

Panasonic 20/1.7 - a set on Flickr

cheers

K

12. MacBook

MacBook Mu-43 Regular

Jul 24, 2010
    South Carolina
    I actually have the 4/3 to micro 4/3 adapter from Olympus so that would not be a problem. I thought maybe the 25/2.8 or even both the 25/2.8 and 35/3.5 macro would be useful, especially if there ever is an e630 that I buy. :rolleyes:

I prefer both those focal lengths to the Panny 20/1.7, but the definition of the Panny lens is impressive. If it has higher IQ and focuses significantly quicker, then together with its greater aperture it might be the right lens for now.