Olympus 25mm F1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4

Olympus 25mm F1.8 vs. Panasonic Leica Summilux 25mm F1.4 vs. Panasonic 25mm F1.7

• Olympus 25mm F1.8

Votes: 19 33.3%
  • Panasonic Leica 25mm F1.4

Votes: 35 61.4%
  • Panasonic 25mm F1.7

Votes: 3 5.3%

• Total voters

bogdanvalentin

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bogdan
I searched and couldn't find this, and it's very strange since it's the same focal length for the standard focal length options of MFT (1.2 PRO not included, as anyone agrees everywhere, that one is an alien).

So, size and sharpness from the start across the frame vs. slightly faster & smoother bokeh at wide open vs. price (from what I've read in other comparison reviews)?

Last edited:

bogdanvalentin

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bogdan
That one didn't come up in the searches. This one is good to be closed (deleted)

SVQuant

Shooting by numbers
Real Name
Sameer

Vivalo

Olympus loser
25mm 1.7 if you want cheap, 25mm 1.8 if you want small, 25mm 1.4 if you want more bokeh, 25mm 1.2 if you don't want cheap or small.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
For me it came down to size. The OOF blur difference isn't huge and sharpness is a wash. A great image will be great whichever you choose.

bogdanvalentin

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bogdan
I'm inclined to go for size too. And the price is pretty sweet too on ebay for oly 25mm 1.8

wjiang

Mu-43 Legend
Actually, I forgot what really bugged me... the PL has a noisier AF motor and clackity aperture blades. I'm not talking about rattlesnaking, even when it is behaving it is much louder. When it's very quiet and I am using silent shutter the PL is kind of a no go...

Hamsong

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bradley Hanson
I have the Olympus 25 f1.2 and f1.8. They are both great. The f1.2 is, quite possibly, the best designed lens I've ever used. Sharp, fast AF, creamy bokeh. I use it professionally but consider it slightly too large for day to day photography. The 25 f1.8 is 90% of the same thing, with first-rate bokeh and character and only 1 stop slower. For most people, that will be more than enough. The f1.2 allows me to use ISO3200 rather than 6400 at weddings, it allows faster shutter speeds, has weather sealing, PRO build quality, but the 25 f1.8 is still a great lens by standard. Truly a bargain. Using the f1.2 actually reminded me how good the f1.8 is, too. Don't be fooled by the small size and plastic barrel. It's a great design like the 17 and 45.

dissembled

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
A. Alabanza
I also own both the Leica and the Olympus 1.8. I prefer the quality of the bokeh of the Leica as it's slightly creamier. However, I gravitate more towards the Olympus overall because of the smaller minimum focus distance which makes it ultimately more efficient at macro photography.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Off to buy a lens or two tomorrow. I either buy the PL25 or the P25 AND P42.5 for the same price. I have the PL15 and it is a fine lens. Money is not a problem, but the PL42.5 is over £1100 and heavy. I shot with one and found it too cumbersome, really heavy. I could just get the PL25 but it is almost twice the weight of the P25, plus expensive and noisy? Am I doing the right thing? Anyone going to talk me out of my purchase? I dont intend carrying these lenses around much, but just for specific purposes. I must say my P14-140Mk.II did a great job in China, some great low light action shots.

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
f1.4 is nice. Take a look at the Sigma 30/1.4 too. It's a very nice lens and delivers excellent subject isolation. It's larger than the O25, PL25 or P25, but it's not too heavy. Dependent on what you plan to use it for, you may be able to get by with that alone and not buy the P42.5.

Hamsong

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Bradley Hanson
Do what's best for you. For my money, the Oly 25 f1.8 is even sharper than the Oly 25 f1.2, and the PL 25 f1.4 makes noise focusing and feels flimsy and insubstantial. If you have a Panasonic body, the PL 25 f1.4 might work better than it does on Oly bodies. If you have an Olympus body, the 25mm f1.8 is the best deal in optics. I got mine used for $150 and it's probably my most used lens along with the 17 f1.8. The 25mm f1.8 has very smooth bokeh and is shockingly sharp and comes with a hood!

Stanga

Mu-43 All-Pro
I received my Panasonic 25 f1.7 yesterday and gave it a quick try to make sure that it was OK. First thing that I noticed was how loud the focusing mechanism is! I won't be using it for video with that level of noise, that's for sure. The actual focusing speed even under street lighting was a pleasant surprise. Far faster than any of my zooms. I hope to put it through its paces this weekend, but the initial test shots that I made did show up something that I can't get with any of my zooms: a nice image in the EVF that looks far sharper and detailed. There was more shine on leaves and wooden surfaces.

kiwijinxter

Mu-43 Rookie
Off to buy a lens or two tomorrow. I either buy the PL25 or the P25 AND P42.5 for the same price. I have the PL15 and it is a fine lens. Money is not a problem, but the PL42.5 is over £1100 and heavy. I shot with one and found it too cumbersome, really heavy. I could just get the PL25 but it is almost twice the weight of the P25, plus expensive and noisy? Am I doing the right thing? Anyone going to talk me out of my purchase? I dont intend carrying these lenses around much, but just for specific purposes. I must say my P14-140Mk.II did a great job in China, some great low light action shots.

Thanks for the tip Mike. I've been trying to decide which lens to take when going on holiday, and I want to travel light, but while carrying the PL 15 is ideal, it's too limiting for me, and Oly 12-40mm is just a tad bulky. I didn't even consider my Oly 14-140 Mk2 but what surprised me was you mentioned even great low light action shots? Is that possible? If yes, that would be the perfect lens that balances versatility (zoom) and robustness (weather sealed) and goes well with my EM5 Mk2. Did you only use the 14-140 throughout your trip - did it work well indoors?

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
Thanks for the tip Mike. I've been trying to decide which lens to take when going on holiday, and I want to travel light, but while carrying the PL 15 is ideal, it's too limiting for me, and Oly 12-40mm is just a tad bulky. I didn't even consider my Oly 14-140 Mk2 but what surprised me was you mentioned even great low light action shots? Is that possible? If yes, that would be the perfect lens that balances versatility (zoom) and robustness (weather sealed) and goes well with my EM5 Mk2. Did you only use the 14-140 throughout your trip - did it work well indoors?
Really happy with the P14-140 mkII lens. It will work anywhere there is light. I took some great action motorbike shots as they raced up a hillside round the lake. It will take interior shots if you have nothing better, just try and hold it still or put it on a surface and use the 2 sec timer release.

Latest threads

Top Bottom