Olympus 25mm f1.8 vs Panasonic 25mm f1.7

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by GnedTheGnome, Dec 18, 2015.

1. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

As promised, now that finals are over, I've done some more head to head testing of these two lenses. This is by no means an all-encompassing, or perfectly executed test. It's just one amateur's attempt to make a side by side comparison. So far my assessment is: They're very, very similar.

These are all center crops. The pictures were all taken at the same settings, in kind of cruddy light, with +2/3 stop compensation. Looking back, I think it could have used a bit more. Also as requested, I moved the camera back to make them both have approximately the same field of view, since the Oly is actually noticeably wider than the Pana.

23715168632_e66e781ebf_o.
    25mm Sharpness Compare
    by Jamison Sword, on Flickr

I did notice that the Panasonic was noticeably faster at focusing, especially in low light. I'll be going out to Christmas festivities this weekend, and I'll try to do some comparison shots in real-world situations, which should tell us a lot more.

• Like Like x 4
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Patrick T

Patrick T New to Mu-43

Aug 1, 2015
    Canada
    Patrick T
    Thanks for the post, I also did a quick informal comparison between the P25 1.7 and the PL25 1.4 that I own.

Size/weight: They are roughly same size. P25 is much much lighter.
    Build quality: Even though both are plastic, the PL25 feels much better built. The P25 feels a little hollow, more plasticky.
    Sharpness: They are both very sharp as far as I'm concerned (PL25 gets sharper as you stop down, P25 seems not to improve too much as you stop down). I think some people have reported disappointing sharpness with the P25. I think there may be a quality control issue here, since Panasonic seems intent on selling as many as these as possible at a very cheap price. The copy I got however was very sharp.
    Rendering: The P25 renders warmer than the PL25. There is also a little something in the PL25 rendering that makes it more special to me (very subjective!).

I think all 3 25mm lenses for m43 are really good lenses. I would say they are all sharp (although I've never shot the O25), size advantage going to O25, price advantage to P25, and PL25 goes to f1.4 where the others don't. You can't go wrong with any of them.

Of note, i found the speed advantage was actually 1/3 stop from the PL25 1.4 vs P25 1.7, instead of the supposed 1/2 stop... so the speed gains from the PL25 in real life are not THAT significant.

• Informative Informative x 3
  3. danelkins

danelkins Mu-43 Veteran

If you are open to either brand I would recommend the same brand lens as the camera it will be used on. There are usually slight differences in lens to body (brands) in color and sometimes noise, especially when shooting jpeg files. I kave the PL25 f1.4 and I see the differences between using it on my G6 and EM1

• Agree Agree x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. GnedTheGnome

GnedTheGnome Mu-43 Regular

As it turned out, the Christmas festival I went to wasn't really conducive to doing comparison shots. (Too cold, and too crowded to juggle lenses around.) So here are a few shots I did of the Christmas tree. First up, a comparison of the field of view between the Pana, the Oly, and just for kicks, the Panasonic 20mm. All were shot @ f2 for 1/6 sec. ISO 200

23849779412_3a2f75b4c2.
    Panasonic 25mm FOV

23662385830_a945fcf0ef.
    Olympus 25mm FOV

23875529371_ca3ecb6c5e.
    Panasonic 20mm FOV

And here are some pictures to compare Bokeh. I cropped the Oly to make the FOV match, as much as possible. Also shot @ f2 for 1/6 sec. ISO 200

23849778592_702f15a299.
    Panasonic 25mm f1.7

23958047525_9e40325267.
    Olympus 25mm f1.8

• Informative Informative x 2
    • Like Like x 1
    • Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  5. hobbes266

hobbes266 Mu-43 Regular

May 19, 2014
    Gold Coast, Australia
    Thanks for the work people on this thread have put in, and for sharing. Very informative.

6. diselgl

diselgl Mu-43 Regular

Jan 7, 2014
    Philippines
    Arvin
    EM10 Purple fringing with the lumix g 25mm. Sorry I, don't have the oly to compare it with.

PC230102-2. PC230102-2-2.

7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Yes, but if the exposure was set to show some detail in the sky, most, if not all, of the purple would go away. A useful test would be to dark against bright, where the bright isn't completely blown out.

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Thanks for the info! If anyone else has anything to add to this, I'd love to hear it!

9. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    Olympus sensors have a weak UV-cut filter on the sensor stack.

For Olympus users, you should be able to make a lot of that purple fringing go away if you put a Haze 2A or 2E UV filter on your lens.

Unfortunately, it doesn't appear that Tiffen makes one in the 46mm size, so you'd need to get a 49mm and a 46-49mm step-up ring. Annoying, and might preclude the use of the lens hood, which would also be annoying...

Tiffen 49mm Haze-2A Filter