Olympus 25mm f1.8 very tight to get on E-PL6

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Lerxst, May 16, 2015.

1. Lerxst

Lerxst Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2015
    Howdy,

New guy with first prime lens. Seems like the Oly 25 is very tight to turn in to the body of my E-PL6, as compared to the kit kens. Is this normal? Seems to function perfectly.

2. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    The kit lens has plastic mount that's why. The mount on the camera do take time to break in. Should be less tight through use.

3. osterdahl

osterdahl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    Sweden
    Leif Österdahl
  4. Lerxst

Lerxst Mu-43 Rookie

May 4, 2015
    Thanks guys. I was just playing around with it taking some pics of my cat, indoors, with the aperature wide open. Ridiculously crisp shots. Can't wait to get it outside and test it out.

5. Lindsay D

Lindsay D Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 2, 2013
    West Sussex, England
    Lindsay
    Some of my lenses are incredibly tight going onto my EPL5. But they all go on to my EM1 and EM5 with comparative ease.

6. agentlossing

agentlossing Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I really don't understand why this is an issue for people unless you have a hard time physically mounting the lens, which is perfectly valid. My 25mm is tight on my EM10 but I don't feel like it would be tight enough to keep anyone from getting the lens on and off. It won't hurt anything on the camera, if that's the concern.

7. Theo

Theo Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 26, 2013
    Canada
    Theo K.
    My E-M10 mount was incredibly tight when new. It did loosen up gradually after a few months. it's still not as easy to mount on as my E-PM2. Now at least I don't feel I am forcing it like when it was new.

Last edited: May 17, 2015
  8. osterdahl

osterdahl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    Sweden
    Leif Österdahl
    In my case I was afraid to break either the lens or the house-mount. But it was not only the 25 being tight.
    The tip I got in the thread i linked to did the trick.

9. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    I've seen some cases of impact breaking lenses at the mount, but I don't think I've ever heard of mounting/dismounting a tight lens causing any damage.

10. osterdahl

osterdahl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    Sweden
    Leif Österdahl
    Neither have I, but it just did not feel good to apply the force I had to.
    Just wanted to share a tip that I got that solved my concerns...

11. agentlossing

Jun 26, 2013
    Andrew Lossing
    No problem. I would not use "nose grease" though, as it can cause corrosion and attract dust particles.

12. Harvey Melvin Richards

Harvey Melvin Richards Photo Posting Junkie

Feb 15, 2014
    Southwest Utah
    I put my 25 on my E-M10 this weekend, and it wouldn't work. I backed it back to the start and retightened it and it was good. This is the only lens I've had the problem with, and the E-M10 is 15 months old.

13. osterdahl

osterdahl Mu-43 Regular

Nov 8, 2011
    Sweden
    Leif Österdahl
    I would be pretty calm about rustproblems. It is a chromed surface and mine have no rust after six months.