1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 25mm F1.8 first look

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Matero, Jan 29, 2014.

1. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    • Like Like x 5
  2. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    Just read Robin Wong's first take of the lens.

http://robinwong.blogspot.it/2014/02/olympus-mzuiko-25mm-f18-review-part-1.html

Looks very good.

I love the size and the fact that it's super sharp wide open ... and that it can focus 20cm from the tip of the lens, however, I think it's too contrasty and reminds me of the 75/1.8 at first look. When using skinny DOF I find the contrasty look of some of the Olympus lenses off-putting to the background. I usually use one of Huelight's muted type presets in this case to soften the background and paint contrast over the main subject in LR.

Many would disagree we me and like the contrasty look of the new 25/1.8, but I still prefer the rendering of the PL 25. Still, what an amazing format we have in M43 ... so many excellent choices !!!

I love the 50mm perspective and think it's important for any format to have multiple choices in this FL. I'm surprised it took Olympus this long to release this lens.

• Like Like x 2
  3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Darn it - this looks like a lens my wallet won't resist (although I'll wait until I'm passing through the US - it's US$399, but £369 - so at £1 = $1.65 it would be $592).

4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    Wow...I love the samples/100% crops. Looks razor sharp wide open, and I'm a fan of the contrast/saturation! As a big surprise...I think it has waaaay nicer bokeh than the PL25. That is surprisingly smooth bokeh...me likey. Do I like it $400 much, though? I'm not sure...I'll likely wait for the price to go down at least into the $300-ish range before pulling the trigger on this.

5. Jay86

Jay86 Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 26, 2012
    Im getting pretty sold on this lens too even if it is $60 or so more then I would have liked it to be. Had they made this lens a pancake that would have just put me over the moon even at $400.

• Like Like x 1
  6. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Looks good. Based on what I've seen so far I think I prefer the rendering of the Panasonic 25mm f1.4, but not the size or the price. I'll have to weight those characteristics in making a decision.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

7. metalmania

metalmania Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 19, 2012
    NYC
    Those samples really remind me of the 45/1.8 lens!

• Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    They do...actually, the rendering is VERY close to the O75, which is a magical piece of glass! I never quite liked the rendering of the P20 (OOF backgrounds just seemed "busy" and distracting as opposed to smooth and pleasing) and the PL25 does some funky OOF background blurring as well, including some nasty egg-shaped renderings of lights. I wonder how the O25 will do with that, but I have a feeling, it'll be much nicer.

I was in Japan a couple of months ago and played with half a dozen copies each of the P20 and the PL25...the prices were great, and the stores had both in stock. I really, really, REALLY wanted to grab one. But neither screamed "YOU MUST HAVE ME!" the way both the O45 and the O75 have (and now, it seems, the O25 is added to that list).

9. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    To each his own then as I feel quite the opposite - with the Oly lenses seeming clinical and the Pany lenses feeling more organic (if that makes sense). I think it's wonderful there are so many choices. I feel that with my Canon, you basically pick your focal length, but the rendering of the lenses are all similar. If I want something different I have to go the adapted lens route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

10. nickthetasmaniac

nickthetasmaniac Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 11, 2011
    I've been looking for a more compact and 'practical' day-to-day alternative to my Nokton 25mm for a while and Robin's samples have me thinking this is probably it.

Must resist though, after getting the GR I decided no more bodies or lenses for 12 months (oh the withdrawal pains...)

• Like Like x 1
  11. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    For sure, I definitely agree with your points that it's great to have choices, and that the look you find attractive is definitely a personal choice, and there really isn't a right or wrong answer.

I prefer high contrast, high-saturation, high-resolution lenses with creamy bokeh, but it's definitely not for everyone. The rendering on these lenses reminds me a lot of the Canon 135L, which was perfection in my books.

Canon still had some variation between lenses, the 135L, for example was in a league of its own, the 50s looked much different, as did the 85/100 twins.

But yeah, having two major manufacturers playing ball (Panasonic and Olympus) on the same system definitely helps shake things up...I just wish Sigma, Tamron and Tokina took a more active role in M4/3!

12. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    PL 25 @ £429-£369=£60....AND there's a hood with the PL25.

It's a no-brainer, has to be the PL25....IMVHO.

13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Actually, Olympus decided to pack a hood with the 25, just like they did for the 12-40. The LH-49B hood has a circular profile all around, so it may be reversible, unlike the PL25 hood.

• Like Like x 1
  14. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Canada
    I'm so happy that they're finally putting hoods in with the lenses! I hope they're not exceptions, but rather the start of a new trend.

I really want a hood for my O12-50, and my O75, but forget it...I'm not paying their ridiculous prices for it.

15. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer

What about a JJC knock-off version? They make clones of all the Olympus hoods I believe. It's pretty much same thing, at a quarter of the price of the Olympus one.

Find the LH-55C equivalent (JJC LH-J55C) for the 12-50, it's a reversible petal hood rather than non-reversible rectangular like the LH-55B.

• Like Like x 1
  16. deang001

deang001 Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 16, 2013
    Hong Kong
    Dean
    True … not for me at all. High contrast OOF areas look vile IMO. Needs to be decimated softy like a 135DC. Pana seems to be more subtle and attractive.

Again … great to have choices but this new 25/1.8 seems to have a typical in-your-face rendering like the 75/1.8 & 45/1.8.

I'll keep using my PL 25/1.4 :smile:

• Like Like x 1
  17. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    I stand corrected, still a no brainer IMVHO.

18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Sort of a 'Zeiss' vs. 'Leica' microcontrast argument going here? (where I prefer the Zeiss to the Leica look, owning both...)

19. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    This lenses with quite different flavours is a cruel thing for my bank balance it just leads to the overwhelming desire to have both.

20. Mellow

Mellow Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 27, 2010
    Florida or Idaho
    Tom
    As you say, IYVHO. It's all about priorities, and it's great to have choices.

Bigger, heavier, faster, different rendering, slightly more expensive: Panny 25mm f/1.4
    Smaller, lighter, slower, different rendering, slightly less expensive: Oly 25mm f/1.8

To me, it's all about how you value the different adjectives.

• Like Like x 1