Olympus 25mm f1.8 coming next year?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by speedandstyle, Dec 12, 2013.

1. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

2. Dangermouse

Dangermouse Mu-43 Rookie

Oct 20, 2010
    If it is anything like the Oly 45 then it will be fab and I might even consider selling my P20 ;-)
    • Like Like x 1
  3. SpecFoto

SpecFoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 28, 2012
    So Cal
    This is a 50mm I just might buy, depending upon how good the optics are. Even though I just bought the 12-40 mm f/2.8, a wonderful lens, a semi fast 50 is something I miss in my portrait work. I tried 2 copies of the PL 25 f/1.4 with my EM5 in the last year, but neither worked out for me. Constantly focusing, and draining the batteries, plus the rattlesnake noise, it drove me to send both back. Never had this issue with my 5 oly primes. So while the f/1.4 aperture might be preferred, the 50 f/1.8 will work for me.
  4. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    I'm not a huge fan of the focal length, BUT...this would be an awesome option to have out there. As said above, if they take the 45 1.8 approach to it (small, light, affordable, great performer), I think we might just have another awesome lens coming our way. :)
  5. demiro

demiro Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 7, 2010
    I agree with Lowrider. Not my favorite FL, but if it is cheap and good like the 45 it will be hard to resist.
    • Like Like x 1
  6. mfj197

mfj197 Mu-43 Regular

Aug 20, 2012
    Guildford, UK
    I love the PL25 on my E-M5, but I do find the size a bit of a pain. It means I normally only take the 12 and the 25 with me. If this one is a reality, optically good and small I'll probably change.

Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
  7. jamespetts

jamespetts Mu-43 Top Veteran

May 21, 2011
    London, England
    This looks like the sort of lens that Olympus will sell as a kit lens - to the EM-5's replacement, I wonder? Or maybe even to the E-PL5's replacement? Olympus would do very well to make something in the E-PL series very popular indeed (to get lots of people into Micro Four Thirds, some of whom will then trade up to more expensive models), and a lens like this (if it meets expectations) is a good start.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    If they do end up selling it as a kit lens (sounds like a probably idea), there will be some cheap copies floating around in no time! ;)
  9. LowriderS10

May 19, 2013
    Oh...and I forgot to say...hurray for another pancake!!!

Sure, the Pan/Leica 42.5 may be a good, fast lens...but most of us got into this system for the size/weight advantages...great to see Oly catering to that market! I don't have a pancake lens yet (was about to buy a 20 1.7 when the "new" version with its unreasonable price came out), but this may just be it! :D (Even though I don't like the FL, I do like pancakes, so if it's cheap and good...why not? :D )
  10. Dave in Wales

Dave in Wales Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 5, 2011
    West Wales
    Hope so, I don't need f1.4 and the expence, a f1.8 would suit me down to the ground.
  11. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    I'll believe it when I see it. The Olympus 25 mm is a rumour that has been floating for a pretty long time.
    • Like Like x 1
  12. hazwing

hazwing Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 25, 2012

The cynic in me agrees.
  13. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Well I just ordered the PL25 and even paid a few dollars extra to ensure it will be in my grubby hands before my family holiday get togethers begin. So, when I first heard this rumor I wondered if I made a mistake, but then I thought of all the photos I'll be taking with it instead of waiting on a rumored lens, and I knew I made the right decision.
    • Like Like x 1
  14. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    I think this is too late. needless to come, can't out perform PL25 1.4, and the only thing it can be is cheaper and smaller, however anyone seriously thinking about getting this FL, will buy PL25 1.4 for not much higher price, used PL25 1.4 here is about as low as 450 Dollars
  15. broody

broody Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 8, 2013
    Well, you're right, but this is true of the 50mm 1.8 vs 1.4 dilemma in Canikon land as well. I think this lens may find a home in lower-end kits. Olympus's other primes are too expensive to be put in a value kit, except for the 17mm 2.8 which is awful.
  16. darosk

darosk Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 17, 2013
    Kota Kinabalu, Malaysia
    It has to be punch really hard in the price/performance ratio. If priced like a nifty-fifty, this would sell. I somehow doubt it, though.
    • Like Like x 1
  17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Depends on how good it is and how expensive. If nothing else it will force Panasonic to bring down the price on the 25mm f1.4.
    • Like Like x 1
  18. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    If it comes in at the same price as the 45/1.8 it would be very interesting indeed. Pricing on the 45/1.8 here in NL is oddly low; retail is 235 euros, so even with 21%, less than B&H charges. First time I've ever seen that happen for any camera related gear.
    • Like Like x 1
  19. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    My favourite angle of view, so how good will it be that is the 50,000 $ question? I would buy one in a heartbeat if it is near the PL 1.4 in iq and significantly less money and smaller. Ok I would probably buy one as well if it was a lot smaller lighter i.e. pancake, as long as the iq is there. Given that it is in theory easier to design a good 1.8 over 1.4 so it could be interesting and could be good, it would be interesting is it had a more Zeiss type of rendering too. Oh dear I am just looking for lots of reasons to get multiple 50's again (had 6+ for my old M3).
    • Like Like x 1
  20. mrjr

mrjr Mu-43 Top Veteran

Sep 25, 2012
    Rumors like this are almost infuriating to me. I want this lens to be released, both for my bag, and for the good of the system (I could much more easily recommend the system if a fast, budget-friendly standard lens existed.). But this lens has been rumored for so long with no indication that it'll actually come to market that it's just taunting me, now. I can't be excited about the rumor at all.
    • Like Like x 1