1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 25mm F1.8 Black UK

Discussion in 'Hot Deals - Find a Great Deal? Share It Here.' started by WasOM3user, Feb 21, 2014.

1. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Not really a hot deal but SRS Microsystems have some in stock as of this morning.

Disclaimer - I have nothing to do with SRS but have ordered one having spotted they show in stock and rang to confirm.

• Like Like x 1
  2. plutoniumhunter

plutoniumhunter Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2011
    Maldives
    Pricey brand new though - just a touch cheaper than the 17mm f1.8.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Oly UK pricing on this lens is madness. I looked at prices in Japan, US and UK. Converted to US $, this is how it shakes out:

- Japan $312
    - US $399
    - UK $592

Not even our rip off VAT rates can account for this difference. Opportunism - I sort of hope Oly sell very few until they repent!

4. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Its mad I can get the so called premium Pan_Leics for £30 more, thats both new and the Oly 25 is supposed to be at the same level as the 45 i.e. the good value range, someone is having a bubble bath.

5. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

It's ridiculous. I won't be buying one until it comes down in price by at least £100. The 45mm f1.8 is available from several outlets for £210. Anyone know how much the 45mm cost in the UK when it was first released?

6. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    I agree the pricing is crazy compared to Japan or USA (it's even cheaper in the EU than the UK) but when I have tried to purchase from these sources they either say "no" (e.g. Amazon US :frown:) or put a significant handling cost onto it so that you end up after duty and tax at the same point :dash2:- couldn't find any stock in EU yet::eek:

I've been holding off purchasing a 25mm for three months now to make up my 14/25/45 trinity and it's killing me with GAS.

OK it's only 10% cheaper than the PL in the UK but last weekend I was at a family 60th party (fancy dress!!) where my 45 mm was managing to get focus lock despite the almost pitch blackness (much to my sister in law's husbands frustration as the "official" photographer - his Canon would not lock 95% of the time [F3.5 zoom]) and good though the 45mm is I really could have done with a 25mm as well because my 12-50 zoom was struggling.

However I realised during this event of just how nice the handling of the EM-5 and 45mm combination was - I even let Tim (Canon man) have a go and he was blown away just by the views on the OLED:biggrin: (I'll continue to try and convert him even if it's a long process - I've already convinced his wife just by asking her to "hold" my camera whilst I adjusted my costume)

Having looked at the (all too few) available reviews it appears to be as almost as good as the PL (even better in some aspects, worse in others, but a slightly different mix of performance overall) with the handling of the 45mm - when I saw them in stock my intentions of "waiting for the price to drop" evaporated - Sorry I am just a weak willed photographer.

7. chipbutty

chipbutty Mu-43 Veteran

I had the chance of buying a mint second hand PanLeica 25mm for £250 last week. Didn't have the funds. I've never seen one go that cheaply. Gutted!

• Like Like x 1
  8. WasOM3user

WasOM3user Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 20, 2012
    Lancashire, UK
    Paul
    Very true - most are that expensive you might as well buy new for the warranty.

9. alex66

alex66 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jul 23, 2010
    Well I noticed on Digital Rev's site the Pan Leica is £355 including postage, they cover the costs of duty so the premium line product can be had for less.

10. Levster

Levster Mu-43 Top Veteran

It does seem like madness this pricing, but then hopefully after a few months sanity will creep in. You can get the 17mm f/1.8 brand new on EBay for around £340 from UK sellers, which is arguably a more premium lens. Second hand Panasonic 25mm should be had for between £300-£330.

11. rparmar

rparmar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Limerick, Ireland
    Well, you know. Lenses always cost more on first release when everyone wants them. And UK prices are always higher. But then VAT is backed in. And free health care.