1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Olympus 25mm f/1.8 discussion thread

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Amin Sabet, Feb 12, 2014.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I moved a bunch of posts here from the image thread so that that thread can better serve it's purpose.

2. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    I wish someone can do a comparison with Pann 25mm 1.4. Still debating whether I should switch to 25mm 1.8 for more portability.

• Like Like x 1
  3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    It would also be nice to see some real size humans shots as pictures of small objects might be misleading.

4. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    • Agree Agree x 1
  5. penfan2010

penfan2010 Mu-43 All-Pro

Nov 12, 2010
    NJ, USA
    I owned the Panny 25 before; the Oly 25 appears to render a touch softer than the Panny, but that's based on what I see on the monitor; I do not pixel peep or read much about test chart comparisons. I am sure tons of side by sides will be coming out soon. Like I mentioned above, the Oly's portability makes it a better choice for me. If you are happy with the Panny and not bothered with the size, stick with it. I liked mine a lot when I owned it.

• Like Like x 1
  6. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    I like my Pan 25 a lot, plus it is a bit faster. But for a m43 body (EM5 for me), I still think it is too big and too heavy. I wish to see some comparison on low light performance.

7. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Well, the Oly will be 2/3 of a stop slower, but probably a bit sharper wide open. What more do you need to know ? :smile:

8. oldgarfield

oldgarfield Mu-43 Rookie

Feb 10, 2014
    I don't know... Maybe just try to find an excuse to stick to Pan 25 1.4...LOL

9. CarlG

CarlG Mu-43 Regular

Jun 6, 2013
    Tampa, FL
    Carl
    none of these images make me want to switch...

• Like Like x 2
  10. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    I had the opposite reaction - they look great, show shallow enough DOF, and the lens is a good bit smaller and lighter than my PL25. Not sure I'll switch, but tempted.

11. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    Agreed. These look pretty darn good to me and even better when you consider the size advantage the Oly 25 offers.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

12. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    Something I noted from Wong's samples and the one published here - it has a swirly bokeh in the corners akin to 17 mm lens (something that 45 lens doesn't do)! It's a plus for me as it makes pictures more interesting, with a character.

13. tjdean01

tjdean01 Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 20, 2013
    Look good! Any side-by-side with the Sigma 30?

I have a the 30/2.8 and the Vivitar 28/2. This lens looks darn good. I don't know why I'm liking more than the 25/1.4 pics but I am. Maybe because it forces the photos to be sharper (I mean, if you have 1.4 you're going to use it, right!)

14. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Not convinced it's any better than PANNY 20MM F1.7...apart from focus speed...Anyway the plus i see is that with all the gas and everyone buying this new toy...PANNY 25mm might drop in secondhand market enough for me to buy again! i have toyed with the idea to buy the panny 25 again...but it needs to drop in price to justify me selling my beloved 20mm

15. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    Scott there was a PL just gone on TP Forum, £250 delivered! :eek: I didn't buy it 'cos I quite like my 20mm and mine has no problems on my e-pM2 ... so this new Olympus is interesting, new and cool, but doesn't yet grip me.

• Like Like x 1
  16. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    Yeah..i had a chance on picking one up for just under £300...sadly it wasnt enough to sway me to sell the 20mm...£250 might have done!
    And i agree ...never had any issue with either of the 2 x copies of 20mm i have owned....Had the pl25 and sold it less than a week later...apart from big and ugly...picture quality wasnt a leap of any kind....So I guess Bloody GAS trying to tempt me again!
    tHANKS for reminding me how good 20mm is...I wil stop listening to that siren call in my head!
    Just bought another cheapie ...never heard of MITSUKI 135 F2.8 gonna give that a spin this weekend...couldnt say no to £16 quid.

17. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Nice review here: http://www.thephoblographer.com/2014/02/14/review-olympus-25mm-f1-8-micro-four-thirds/

I have one winding its way to me. I love 50mm equiv lenses and have looked at the the Pany 25 a few times - but its size and price has deterred me. Mind you, I think the Oly pricing in the UK is crazy - £360. That significantly above used Pany 25 prices. The launch price in the US is $399 which us more like £250 and I think that is nearer to how it should be. I can see used copies settling down at the £200 level, close to the 45.

In any case, looking forward to mine. The next decision will be whether I keep the 17 I already have...

18. DynaSport

DynaSport Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 5, 2013
    Dan
    I think choices are great. If this lens had been out when I bought my PL25 it would have been a much more difficult decision. As it was, I had a hard enough time deciding between the PL25, P20, and O17. I probably would have bought the P20 if it wasn't for the slow focus issues I read about. I really like a quick focusing lens for those fleeting unexpected moments. I have not regretted the PL25 purchase in the least and feel no desire at all for the O25. But I am still glad it is available and a choice we can have. The size of the PL25 doesn't bother me at all and I smile when I read people complaining about the weight. I can't tell the difference in the weight of my camera/lens combo whether I have the P14 or PL25 on it. Maybe if I held it and really concentrated I might could, but regardless, it is certainly not something that ever enters my mind. And the photos from it are fantastic. So, enjoy your O25. I'm sure it is a great lens. If it is like the O45, I know it will be.

19. scott2hot

scott2hot Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2012
    west yorkshire
    scott
    I agree any of these choices of lens will deliver the goods (no doubt) But like the pl25 the new oly is just a touch too big for pocketability...although slower to focus 20mm is razor sharp and will go in a loose pocket on any small M4/3...this for me is the 20's crowning glory! Still tempted though after seeing phoblogs review of oly 25.