Showcase Olympus 25mm f/1.2 PRO

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by m43happy, Oct 26, 2016.

1. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Top Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    Got this lens in today at work, but I won't be able to put it through its paces until this weekend since I work late. Anyway, here's a couple test shots I took in my hotel room (currently on the road for work).

All test shots taken at f1.2.
    i-RLVb7Nc.

i-R6sBHWS.

i-jN48J7D.

First impressions/small review: I didn't look at the tech specs, but the lens is a little heavier than I expected. By hand it feels almost as heavy as the Nocticron! Size-wise it feels almost the same as the 12-40mm Pro on my camera (albeit a touch heavier than that lens, and more solid feeling). AF speed is fast and silent. In comparison to my old old PL25, it definitely feels snappier point to point. The focusing distant is much closer than the PL25 as well. It terms of sharpness, from my own eye cropping in at 100%, it looks sharper wide open at 1.2 compared to the PL25 at 1.4. Not by much, but it feels noticeable. That's not to say that I felt the PL25 I had was not sharp wide open (wouldn't have kept it for 4 years had it not been). It just doesn't seem as sharp wide open upon my first impression of the O25 Pro. I'll definitely be taking more shots in the next week or so to see if my first impression holds up. Build quality between the two 25's is night and day. The Olympus feels like a tank compared to the Panasonic-Leica. Lastly, I must say the bokeh is smooooth on this lens!

I know the price is expensive. It's definitely not for everybody. The optical gains over the PL25 I had before it are not drastic, but AF speed (to me) and the build quality is. The weather sealing is a plus too. I've fully committed to the m43 system though, so when this lens was announced I knew I was going to pick it up. I sold my PL15 and PL25 to help offset the cost, and after my first impression, I do not regret that decision. :) 

Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
    • Like Like x 17
    • Informative Informative x 1
  2. Ulfric M Douglas

Ulfric M Douglas Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 6, 2010
    Northumberland
    That is the freakiest laptop/keyboard setup I have ever seen ... is it for long-sighted use to keep the screen high and away from you while using the extra keyboard? (Good to see a proper mouse)
    And what's the orange thing?

3. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold
    The stand is a https://www.amazon.com/Roost-Laptop-Stand-Productivity-Lightweight/dp/B01C9KG8IG/ . I own one too, and it's a life-saver for craned necks.

The orange thing is a https://www.amazon.com/LaCie-Rugged-External-Drive-301558/dp/B0058VIWTM/

• Informative Informative x 3
  4. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
    The stand is the Roost Laptop Stand (like astrostl mentioned above). At home I use it to prop up my laptop to match the height of my external monitor since it's adjustable, but it's portable so it's perfect for travel. The keyboard is a cheap bluetooth one that's about the size of a smaller tablet so it fits in my backpack w/ the laptop. Orange thing is a Lacie rugged thunderbolt external hard drive.

5. fishone0

fishone0 Mu-43 Regular

Jan 15, 2016
    thank you for your impute--Mine is on it's way--I know it was a lot of money and I sure hope I didn't waste it. Hope it is as good as the 12mm f/1.4 I just love that lens

6. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    For those of you that have the lens already, did any of you get the hood? If so, can it be reversed to save space?

7. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Yes, it is included with the lens and can be reversed.

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  8. DanS

DanS Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 8, 2016
    Central IL
    Thanks man!

• Appreciate Appreciate x 1
  9. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Is the manual focusing clutch accessible with the hood reversed?

10. m43happy

Feb 18, 2012
    Technically yes, you can pull back the clutch with the lens hood on, and manual focus, but the markings are covered by the hood.

• Like Like x 1
  11. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    • Like Like x 9
  12. Broddan

Broddan Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2015
    Hi!

Nothing special with these first shots but i get a good felling about this lens. I just had about 10 min outside today. These outside shots are at iso 800 at 1.2 with slow shutter speeds, its really dark outside only some street lights..

Really good build quality and fast af.

One thing that seemed strange (have to test more carefully before i can say for sure) is it seems that af has a closer mfd than mf?! Have anyone else with this lens noticed this?

1611_namnlöst_001. 1611_namnlöst_004. 1611_namnlöst_003. 1611_namnlöst_002.

• Like Like x 8
  13. mister_roboto

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    I just tested it out, and yes can confirm that AF does have a shorter mfd. Like by about an inch or so.

• Agree Agree x 2
  14. spatulaboy

spatulaboy I'm not really here Subscribing Member

Jul 13, 2011
    North Carolina
    Vin
    Can't wait to see more shots from this lens!

15. alex g

alex g Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    • Like Like x 10
  16. ILIKEBWFILM

ILIKEBWFILM Mu-43 Regular

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    Got mine yesterday ,these are out of camera jpg, very sharp wide open , fast focusing used first model EM5 , very well build as good as a Leica Summarit lens or slightly better . Seems even a little sharper than my Nocticron. Worth every penny. PB020153.

• Like Like x 6
  17. ILIKEBWFILM

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    PB020169.

• Like Like x 8
    • Winner Winner x 2
    • Wow Wow x 1
  18. ILIKEBWFILM

Nov 11, 2012
    USA
    PB020211.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Broddan

Broddan Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 18, 2015
    I have not yet had time to do any serous testing of the lens. But on the way home from work, I met my brother who works as a carpenter in a new building in my area.
    We met and chatted briefly and I took a picture of him after a tough week at work.

Then my cat met me on the stairs at home.

Both at 1.2 and first at Iso 500 and second at Iso 800.

Nothing special but the lens feels really great so far...

1611_namnlöst_001-2.

1611_namnlöst_002-2.

• Like Like x 9
  20. Indianpeaksjoe

Indianpeaksjoe Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 1, 2012
    Colorado
    Couldn't resist the 1.2, first afternoon with it and I definitely like it. Pictures are just messing around shots.
    PB040076. PB040067.
    PB040017.

Last edited: Nov 4, 2016
    • Like Like x 9
  1. This site uses cookies to help personalise content, tailor your experience and to keep you logged in if you register.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our use of cookies.