1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 25mm f/1.2 PRO event

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mjw, Oct 11, 2016.

1. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    A couple of days ago, there was a Drink & Click! meet up at Pike Brewing in Seattle hosted by Glazer's Camera and Olympus. Olympus reps were on hand with a big stack of loaner cameras and lenses. I mostly went to get a feel for how the E-M1 mk1 handled since I'm considering getting one once the mk2 comes out and prices drop, but I also got a chance to try out a bunch of lenses I wouldn't ordinarily have. At one point during the evening, an Olympus rep stuck a 25mm f/1.2 on my camera and made me promise not to bolt.

Disclaimer: I'm at best a mediocre photographer and I was using an unfamiliar camera using mostly stock settings. These are the JPEGs that came out of the camera (we were allowed to bring our own SD cards). I haven't done any post on these and probably won't.

• Like Like x 6
    • Agree Agree x 1
  2. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Drink and click sounds like a great night out. Wish Olympus organised something like that in my city/country/continent.

Now for the big question: did you bolt? :blush:

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. MRM

MRM Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Lens looks special. Has that great look of high contrast and great Focus fall off. I need to start going to events in Seattle. expecially drinking ones with Olympus reps.

• Funny Funny x 1
  4. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    Sadly, no. They had my ID and I wasn't done with my beer yet.

• Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  5. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    I can appreciate a man with priorities in his life...

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. mister_roboto

mister_roboto Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 14, 2011
    Seattle, WA, USA
    Dennis
    Seattleite here: I had no idea that Glazers has those events! .... I gotta get on a mailing list.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. mjw

mjw Mu-43 Veteran

Sep 23, 2013
    Seattle, WA
    Matt
    I think this was a one-off thing they did. I only noticed because I follow Glazers on Twitter.

8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator; Photon Wrangler

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    Barry
  9. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    I need to see if there are any in Los Angeles Area. I want to check out 12-100 and 12/1.2

10. m43happy

m43happy Mu-43 Veteran

Feb 18, 2012
    25mm pro in stock and ordered! Hopefully I'll get it by middle of next week. :eek:

• Like Like x 2
  11. alex g

alex g Mu-43 Top Veteran

Mar 30, 2016
    New York / Bath
    Had a quick play with the 25 and the 12-100 at the NYC Photoplus show today, and was impressed by both. As far as I could tell from a fairly brief inspection, both have excellent AF behaviour on the E-M1 and handle very nicely indeed. The 25's focus ring is deeper than those of most of the other "clutched" Olympus lenses, and so feels more substantial and precise. Lots of clarity and depth available, and no noticeable bad manners when wide open.

The 12-100 also feels generally more substantial than the 12-40, even when fully extended. I have to say I really liked the 12-100 — playing with it made me realize how useful that focal length range is. As far as IQ goes, the impression it gave me was fairly typical of recent Olympus lenses — very precise, transparent and neutral. I confess to not having been as systematic as I might have been in my assessment, but I rather think more attention may have been paid to the subjective quality of the in/out of focus transition areas — despite the relatively limited maximum aperture, subject separation was good and background blur may have looked more natural and discreet than that of the 40-150 Pro, for example.

Here's a crummy pic courtesy of my ancient iPhone (cameras were in the process of getting a free GearCheck from Olympus techs!) of a 25 Pro pretending to be half a lobster. Not much free space inside, is there? :)

IMG_1943.
    And here's the nice man from Olympus guiding a skillful brush around one of my dust-encrusted OMDs. I barely recognized them by the time he was done!

IMG_1949.JPG

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  12. absolutic

absolutic Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 21, 2011
    12-100 is quite a useful range, even at F4. I know because I had Fuji 18-135 when I had Fuji system, and that 18-135 got a lot of use. Also a Weather Resistant lens and has quite a close MFD for macro. Of course 18-135 cost half of 12-100.....but perhaps 12-100 will go down in price with time, or will receive heavy discounts when bundled with bodies.
    as long as it is not a prohibitively heavy lens.....

13. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    When I gave it a go at Photo Plus as well, it felt really nice on a E-M1. It's about a inch longer than the 12-40 but of course it extends much more. I'm more impressed with the 25, for the size (almost the same as the 12-40 and weight as well). I'll be getting one and the E-M1 II. Combining with the two 12-40 and 40-150, it'll make a nice 3 lens bag.