Olympus 25mm...anytime soon?

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Aldredge, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Hey guys!

Do you think Olympus will be releasing a 25mm prime in the near future?

I was all ready for the rumoured Olympus 25mm, when they released the 17mm f/1.8 instead. Then, I was extremely close to buying the P20 f/1.7, but a few issues like slow focus/focus hunt in low light etc. made me rethink my decision. It is also a little too close to my Panasonic 14mm. I wouldn't mind going for the PanaLeica 25mm but there seems to be small issues like rattlesnaking on Olympus cameras that bother me. I just figured if you're going to front $500 on a lens it should be free of these little annoyances (or maybe I'm being too picky?).

I just started getting into street photography, and the lack of a "normal" lens is really hurting me. The P14 f/2.5 is great, but I don't have the courage to get that close. My portrait lens is an OM 50mm f/1.8, with which I'm also left wanting in street shots.

Should I just bite the bullet and get the PanaLeica 25mm or should I wait for Olympus to release a fast 25mm?

2. carpandean

carpandean Mu-43 Top Veteran

Oct 29, 2010
    Western NY
    If you want to use it any time soon, then go for the PL25. The next announcements probably won't be until March or April, and even then, you have to wait several months before it's actually available.

Have you tried the Oly 45mm f/1.8 instead of the OM 50mm?

• Like Like x 1
  3. Kilauea

Kilauea Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2012
    Canada
    Nicolas
    I'm not aware of what is coming or not, but granted the quality of the 25mm, I wouldn't wait for an option from Olympus to come soon. The issues you speak about seem to occur in limited cases (but then again, I have not done extensive research about it).

• Like Like x 1
  4. Ned

Ned Mu-43 Legend

Jul 18, 2010
    Alberta, Canada
    Yes, you are being too picky. The Leica 25mm f/1.4 Summilux is a fine lens on any :43: body, as is the Lumix 20mm f/1.7.

• Like Like x 2
  5. Pecos

Pecos Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 20, 2013
    The Natural State
    What Ned said.

6. Vivalo

Vivalo Olympus Loser

Nov 16, 2010
    Finland
    Sigma 30mm 2.8, or maybe legacy Canon/Oly 28mm??? I have good experiences with Canon FD 28mm 2.8 even wide open.

• Like Like x 1
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    I have the Sigma 30/2.8, 25/1.4 & 20/1.7 (I like normal lenses)

The Sigma is about the size of the 14-42 zoom. Very sharp wide open and has much faster focusing than the 20/1.7, but not as quick as the 25/1.4. This makes it a good street lens. The only issue I have with it is there is some chromatic aberration by the edges.

FWIW, if Olympus came out with a 25/1.8, and it had comparable optics to the 12/2 and 75/1.8, I'd get that and sell my 25/1.4 in a heart beat, to get a smaller lighter lens.

• Like Like x 1
  8. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

If a 25 is what you want then get the Panasonic. You can always sell it when{if} Olympus puts out one if you want it instead. I have the 20mm and 30mm plus legacy 24mm so I can wait.

• Like Like x 1
  9. riverr02

riverr02 Mu-43 Veteran

May 2, 2011
    New York
    Rafael
    Agree with Ned. It's a great lens- on any body. I use mine often, and it's one of my favorite lenses.

10. PaulGiz

PaulGiz Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 3, 2013
    Rhode Island, USA
    Don't let the perfect be the enemy of the great.

The 20 is a fine lens. The slow focus and "hunting" are only relative to newer, faster lenses. It is still quite usable, especially if you are looking for a "walking around" lens.

The 25 is an epically sharp, well-made lens. It's image quality and light-gathering ability make it worthwhile despite the occasional rattle. Tax refund comes, I'm getting one. After seeing images shot with this lens, I'd still get it if it slapped me in the face after every exposure.

In a few years, there will be newer, faster, better stuff. How many pictures do you think you might want to take between then and now?

Just sayin'.

P.

• Like Like x 2
  11. phigmov

phigmov Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Apr 4, 2010
    I guess people might have been hanging out for a slightly slower 25 - like a f1.8 built in the same style as the 45 (ie cheap but effective).

The PL25 pictures look lovely but the price is eye watering compared to other vendors nifty-fifties (which have traditionally been cheap 'n cheerful).

I keep forgetting about the Sigma 30 - I might have to add it to my 'buy' list - it seems like a bargain for the price and the pictures look pretty good too.

12. Chrisnmn

Chrisnmn Mu-43 All-Pro

Apr 26, 2012
    Auckland, New Zealand
    Chris
    what PaulGiz, Riverr02, Pecos and Ned said.

13. SkiHound

SkiHound Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 28, 2012
    I have the PL25 and get some rattle snaking. I just ignore it. Otherwise the lens works flawlessly on my E-M5. Really nice IQ. It's also available at about the same price as the 17mm f/1.8 so I doubt that an Oly 25 would be appreciably less expensive.

14. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge

I think you hit the nail on the head hear (and Ned too ;))

After a bit of research, it looks like I will be going for the PL25.

Thank you all for your replies, I guess I just needed the push to get the damn lens and stop waiting for the "perfect".

15. mattia

mattia Mu-43 Hall of Famer

May 3, 2012
    The Netherlands
    Um, not really. New pricing on 50/1.4 glass with autofocus is not that far off the PL25 (see Canon, Sigma, Pentax or Sony. Nikon is cheaper, Zeiss is pricier and MF only). The PL is not a 'nifty fifty' in the Canon mold, seems closer to Sigma's (fantastic) 50/1.4.

Sure, there are a lot of bargains in the second hand manual focus/adapted glass market, but the 25 isn't stupidly priced for what it offers.

• Like Like x 1
  16. redington

redington Mu-43 Regular

Apr 28, 2012
    I think that many (including me) look at the 50mm/1.8 going for $100 and are jealous. The closest we can get are those Sigmas that can be found on special at $99 and are f2.8.

17. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    I totally agree. This is one aspect that I did not consider when going with the :43: system: the lack of cheap primes.

Sometimes I get jealous of my friends who all have bought into CaNikon, but overall I'm very satisfied of :43: in general.

18. Livnius

Livnius Super Moderator

Jul 7, 2011
    Melbourne. Australia
    Joe
    When considering the price of the PL25 (or ANY lens for that matter) do take into account how much use you will get out of it. Is it going to be a specialty lens that you put to use on the rarest of occasions ? Is it the sort of lens that is limited to use in good light yet you are a 24/7 shooter ? Is it an odd focal length for your tastes ? Answer yes to any of these questions and the $500 PL25 suddenly becomes expensive.

But if the PL25 is of a focal length that you enjoy using and you can use in a variety of situations (low light, street, portraits, landscape)....$500 doesn't seem so much to pay now.

I paid $300 for my Oly 45mm and $500 for my PL25....the Oly is the cheaper of the 2 lenses dollar for dollar, but one look at my Lightroom catalogue and you would clearly see that for every 1 shot I have taken with the O45 I probably have 10 or 15 with the PL25. I consider the $500 I paid for my 25 to be an absolute bargain !

Don't wait for a lens that doesn't exist.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Same here. The PL25 was relatively expensive, but in terms of the use I have gotten out of it the value for money has been immense, better than a lot of cheaper lenses that I own or have owned. I have paid a lot more in the past for very good telephoto lenses (for example) and hardly ever used them. I try not to make that mistake any more.

There is probably room for a smaller, cheaper, slower 25mm Micro 4/3 lens, but even if it were to exist in the future you'd have to pry the PL25 out of my cold, dead hands.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Aldredge

Aldredge Mu-43 Regular

Jun 12, 2012
    Toronto, ON
    Aldredge
    Just ordered the PL25...the wait begins!