Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs Panasonic 25mm 1.7

Discussion in 'This or That?' started by djchexxx, Aug 23, 2016.

1. Olympus 25mm 1.8

2. Panasonic 25mm 1.7

1. djchexxx

djchexxx New to Mu-43

Aug 18, 2016
    Los Angeles
    Has anyone here tried both? Which one did you prefer and why?

I've been doing some research and mainly found comparisons between the 20mm 1.7 and oly 25 1.8 but never the Pana 25 1.7 so I thought I should ask here.
  2. doogie

doogie Mu-43 Regular

Jun 9, 2016
    I have the Olympus 25mm but from what I've read, picture quality is pretty similar. If you have an Olympus body like me, that might sway your decision.

The Panasonic is generally cheaper, but it's larger than the Olympus. Although they are both supposed to be 25mm I believe one is slightly wider in reality, I think it was the Olympus.

I love my 25mm lens.
    • Like Like x 1
    • Agree Agree x 1
  3. FXA2k

FXA2k Mu-43 Rookie

Jul 24, 2016
    I have been using the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 for two weeks now and it's a great lens, especially for the price.
  4. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

The Olympus 25mm is one of the best lenses I have used. I rank it up there with my 75mm f1.8 (other than plastic build). At the current $299 sale price it's honestly a no-brainer.

The Panasonic is a "good lens for the price". The Olympus is simply a great lens, period.
  5. Jonathan F/2

Jonathan F/2 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 10, 2011
    Los Angeles, CA
    Optically I found the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 better than the 25mm 1.7. The Oly 25mm 1.8 is about equal to the 20mm 1.7. Both are very sharp!
  6. stratokaster

stratokaster Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    Both lenses have their pros and cons.

I believe Olympus is slightly better optically. Panasonic is a tad soft in the corners wide open (in the center it's always very sharp), and it vignettes pretty heavily at f/1.7.

Panasonic on the other hand has noticeably faster AF. Don't get me wrong, Olympus is fast, but Panasonic is instantaneous. But obviously you won't get any improvement in AF speed if you're using an Olympus body.
  7. tkbslc

tkbslc Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Would you say the Panasonic 25 focuses significantly faster than the 15mm f1.7 and 42.5mm f1.7? Because my Olympus 25mm is as fast or faster than those two and definitely "instantaneous" as well.
  8. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    I have not tried 42.5/1.7 yet, but 25/1.7 definitely is a bit faster than 15/1.7.
  9. spdavies

spdavies Mu-43 Top Veteran

Apr 9, 2013
    I'll post a link to the full article, but here are a couple of comparison notes from the SLRGear/Imaging Resource review:

In a word: exceptional. The Lumix 25mm ƒ/1.7 provides sharp images straight out of the gate at ƒ/1.7, and while stopping down technically provides statistically sharper images, you'd have to peep pretty closely to see any kind of practical difference.

Panasonic 25mm ƒ/1.4 ASPH LEICA DG SUMMILUX ~$600
    It may cost a little more, but if you want or need the extra partial stop of light-gathering ability, it's worth it. It's only slightly larger and heavier, and where the two lens overlap in aperture settings, the 25mm ƒ/1.7 version is slightly sharper; however, you would have to peep very closely indeed to see the difference. Really, it is all about needing or not needing the ƒ/1.4 aperture.
    (25 1.7 slightly sharper than the PanLeica?!!!)

Olympus 25mm ƒ/1.8 M.Zuiko Digital ~$400
    While the design is very different, the two lenses are very similar in their test results; however, the Olympus has a bit more distortion, but less corner shading.
    (Seems like they see a tie here, but I would prefer a little more vignetting to more distortion . . . )

Full review:
    Panasonic 25mm f/1.7 ASPH LUMIX G Review
    • Informative Informative x 1
  10. stratokaster

Jan 4, 2011
    Kyiv, Ukraine
    To sum it up: all three lenses are very good optically, but the Panasonic 25/1.7 is the cheapest (Olympus is almost 2x as expensive and PL25 is almost 3x as expensive).
  11. cptobvious

cptobvious Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 8, 2013
    It seems there's some sample variation with the 25/1.7. Some reviewers/owners say it's very sharp and others say it has good but not great resolution. I haven't used it myself. I did own the 25/1.4 and that was a sharp lens in the center wide open and sharp across the frame stopped down.

The 25/1.8 is very sharp from wide open, but every copy I've tested recently has decentering along the left side that doesn't go away when stopping down. May not matter if you use it only for portraits but I've seen out-of-focus left sides for landscape use.
  12. speedy

speedy Mu-43 Regular

Nov 27, 2015
    For the price I got my Panasonic 25 1.7, it can't be beaten. (free bonus) AF is instant, & accurate on Panasonic cameras. I guess if you zoom at 100-200% & pixel peep, you might see differences to other lenses. But that's nothing to do with photography.

[​IMG]Smiths by Andrew, on Flickr.

[​IMG]Happy 2 HD by Andrew, on Flickr

[​IMG]Classy by Andrew, on Flickr
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2016
    • Like Like x 1
  13. grcolts

grcolts Mu-43 Regular

Feb 1, 2010
    My Panasonic 25/1.7 is very sharp and is one of my favorite lens.
  14. astrostl

astrostl Mu-43 Veteran

Oct 4, 2014
    St. Louis, MO
    Justin Honold