Olympus 25mm 1.8 vs Panasonic 25mm 1.4

Discussion in 'This or That? (MFT only)' started by cginex, Sep 13, 2017.

Tags:
  1. mrfizzed

mrfizzed Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2017
    New Jersey
    So with this outlet sale going on now the Olympu 25mm 1.8 is on sale for $159.99. I have the Panasonic 20mm 1.7 but find its AF to be quite slow and have read that both of the lenses in my title are pretty darn good. My question is, for $300-350 for the Leica 25mm 1.4, is it worth the difference over the now on sale $159.99 Olympus 25mm 1.8. I love bokeh and have Olympus bodies FWIW. Thoughts?

2. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Owned the Olympus 25 first, sold it and got the PL25. Sold it and got the Voigtlander 25. Still have the Voigt 25, but recently picked up an Olympus 25 as well.

The PL25 is a great lens, as is the O25. The O25 is sharper across the frame at wide apertures than PL25. The PL25 gives you slightly shallower DoF at f/1.4 vs f/1.8, which may be evident in some shots, and indistinguishable in others.

At basically half the cost, the O25 is a far better value. In fact, I recently purchased one to use on my E-M5 II when traveling at the races because of how compact it is (much more compact than the PL25). Given the current pricing, I'd pick up an O25. If you don't like it, you'll end up making money on it (with taxes from Olympus you'll pay ~$170. Used O25's go for ~$220, which after deducting PayPal and shipping fees, leaves you with ~$200). It's essentially like a free rental, where you make money by selling it if you don't like it. If you do like it, you keep the lens and paid roughly half what you would for a used PL25 (and the PL25 is not twice as good).

• Agree Agree x 5
  3. demiro

demiro Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Nov 7, 2010
    I slightly prefer the P25/1.4, but at half the price the 25/1.8 would be an easy choice for me.

• Agree Agree x 3
  4. JamesD172

JamesD172 Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Aug 18, 2016
    James Dolezal
    I've mentioned this in other threads as well, just be aware of the risk of getting a decentered copy when ordering from the Olympus Outlet. Apparently decentering isn't something that can be fixed at the factory for the smaller m43 lenses, so poor copies that are returned end up getting "refurbished" but not fixed. After returning 2 refurbished lemons, I settled on the PL25.

5. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    IMHO the O25/1.8 is an absolute steal at $159.99....and if I needed one I'd get it. I had one for a while years back, but got the ZY optics Speedmaster 25/0.95 instead and have been loving it.

6. DenverDutchman

DenverDutchman Mu-43 Regular

Jul 10, 2013
    Colorado, Denver area
    The Oly 25mm f1.8 is a no-brainer at $159 plus tax. Yes, the PL 25mm f1.4 is a slightly better lens, but it is a lot larger and will cost you twice as much. Buy the Oly and you will love it!

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. dirtdevil

dirtdevil Mu-43 Veteran

Apr 9, 2017
    I know the PL is more expensive, but wow in 6 years it has never disappointed me. The colors, the contrast, the lightning fast focus, everything just seems like it was fine tuned during the fabrication of the lens. It just doesn't have OIS (but now with my G85 it's stabilized).

• Like Like x 1
  8. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    between f1.8 and f1.4 there is really not much of a difference. at leat not worth double the price. and 159$ for oly is really tempting.

sadly really fast primes are all manual focus, and the wider you get, the less options you have.
    mitakon has both 35mm and 25mm f0.95 versions, which are still in the price range of 25mm f1.4. also you get same performance using 50mm f1.4 or even f1.2 adapted on speed booster.
    i´m still waiting for cheap 17mm f0.95 from mitakon.

9. mrfizzed

mrfizzed Mu-43 Regular

Sep 6, 2017
    New Jersey
    What if I said I could get a pl25 for 250? Is that worth the $80 over th ol25? In your opinion?

10. Pav

Pav Mu-43 Regular

Apr 8, 2014
    Gold Coast
    I have the PL25, and with the hood its pretty big for a 50mm equiv, pop a smaller hood on there and its a bit more 'micro' but honestly, is the size difference THAT great? people keep saying how big it is, but the PL25 and em5mkii are still much easier to carry around than a D700 and 50mm f1.4G.

as for image quality, the PL25 is lovely, never once disappointed with the colours, the rendering, the bokeh, or AF speed. you can always stop down to f1.8, but with the OL25 you cant go to f1.4.

• Like Like x 1
  11. TheMenWhoDrawSheeps

TheMenWhoDrawSheeps Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 15, 2016
    In my opinion, might be well worth. Consider extra stop + bit extra quality vs extra size and weight. Price point shouldn't be consideration at this point.

12. Saledolce

Saledolce Mu-43 Regular

Apr 17, 2017
    Italy
    Get 'em both, and send me the one you don' t want to keep:)

• Like Like x 2
  13. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    Do you foresee a need for the extra light the 1.4 would give you? If so, $80 more might be worth it.

14. 2112

2112 Mu-43 All-Pro

I was looking at both of those when I was shopping for a 25mm lens and ended up with a Panasonic 25mm 1.7 new for $147.99 from B&H a few weeks ago and is still selling for that price.

I'm very happy with it and its been used more than any of my other glass since then.

Panasonic Lumix G 25mm f/1.7 ASPH. Lens H-H025K B&H Photo Video

15. Egregius V

Egregius V Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 14, 2015
    Massachusetts, USA
    Rev. Gregory Vozzo
    Today, I pulled the trigger on a refurbished Oly. 25. I already have the PL 25/1.4, obtained new before its competitors showed up. While I like it, I'm not getting a good keeper rate with it for indoor portraits with AF. The small size and small price of the Oly. finally became irresistible. I'm expecting good sharpness and close-focusing from it. If it's noticeably decentered, I'll make do with the PL. Otherwise, I might end up keeping both.

Last year, I bought a 7-14 PRO refurbished and discounted. It is just slightly decentered in one corner, like many of my zooms. I've only noticed the problem in extreme testing - not in real use. If that's why it ended up cheap on the refurb line, I can't complain. :dance2:

16. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    Crap! I just went to Olympus's site and the 25mm F1.8 lenses are gone. That is the lens I have been looking for.

17. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    Create a WTB add in the Buy/Sell section. I did hat a few days ago, and had multiple people PM me with offers. All were right around $220.

I literally posted the WTB add, and had paid for a copy of the lens in less than 24 hours.

18. JoJo Gunn

JoJo Gunn Mu-43 Regular

Feb 13, 2016
    Dan Gunn
    $220.00 is quite a bit more than the Olympus sale plus the Olympus refurbs come with a warranty. Any time you buy a used lens, you gamble.

19. Biro

Biro Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

May 8, 2011
    Jersey Shore
    Steve
    Just about everything except the E-M1 Mark 2 is gone. I haven't needed anything from Oly's refurb sales for a while now.

20. ijm5012

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    After tax, it comes out to a $50 difference.

As for the "gamble", I'd argue there's more of a gamble coming from Olympus, because the copy you're buying from a user can be verified prior to purchase for things like decentering. You can't do that with Olympus, and there have been a few reports of refurbished copies of the 25 showing up decentered from the refurb store. If that's the case, enjoy dealing with returning the product to Olympus. There are numerous complaints about the length of to receive a refund from them.

Personally, the extra $50 to verify that the lens I'm receiving is not decentered is worth it over gambling on the Olympus refurb item, and then having to deal with the whole return process.

FWIW, I've purchased 8 m43 lenses used from sellers over the years, as well as 3 gray market lenses, and 5 used m43 cameras, none of which had any optical or electronic issues where I would have needed to use the warranty.

Do as you wish though. I suppose you'll be waiting until the next sale in a couple months, and hopefully you'll be quicker on the draw.