Olympus 25mm 1.2 or Panasonic Leica 1.4

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by Peter Bond, Dec 20, 2016.

1. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    I want to purchase a fast, high quality 25mm for my EM5 Mark 2 and would appreciate members' comments on their experiences with both lenses.

Last edited: Dec 21, 2016
  2. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Both are high quality 25mm lenses that will work very well with that camera. The Olympus is a bit faster aperture, is weather proof, and renders differently. The Panasonic is smaller and lighter. Both are very sharp and fast focusing.

If I were going to have one 25mm lens, it would probably be the Panasonic 25/1.4 due to the compromise it strikes with regards to size and weight. But if I were going to choose two 25s, it would be Olympus (love the rendering and speed) plus the Panasonic 25/1.7 (love the rendering and size). If size, weight, and cost are not major issues to you, I would choose the Olympus 25/1.2 over all the rest.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Informative Informative x 2
  3. jbravo14

jbravo14 Mu-43 Regular

Nov 18, 2013
    Thanks for sharing this insight. I first got the 25mm 1.2 then got the 25mm 1.7 with the recent sale.

25 1.7 will probably be glued to the gx85 and 25 1.2 with the E-m1

4. JYPfoto

JYPfoto Mu-43 Veteran

Aug 27, 2013
    On the E-M1 and GH4 I had the 25 1.4 and with the E-M1 II I now have the 1.2. I liked the 1.4 but there were a few things I didn't like about it. The non standard hood that you couldn't reverse to save space. The fact that on the E-M1 it would make a rattling sound. The lack of weather sealing didn't bother me as much since I less weather sealed than most of my gear.

The 1.2 I just picked up this past week and I like it a lot. It's bigger than the 1.4 but about the same size as the 12-40 which I find to be the ideal size of a lens. Not too big where carrying it around one handed is tiring. Also balances very well. The smaller 1.8 primes are very light but at times they feel too light, sometimes I do a double take to make sure a lens is mounted on front.

I like the pull back focus for video and the hood design is very nice with a lock clip that won't come undo as easily as the 12-40.

• Like Like x 1
  5. datagov

datagov Mu-43 All-Pro

Dec 2, 2012
    New York
    Also check out the Sigma 30mm 1.4 and the Samyang 35mm 1.2

• Like Like x 1
  6. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I love the PL25 optically but boy does the aperture and AF get on my nerves - it's rather loud for m4/3 standards so when I'm trying to be super discrete with silent shutter it is a no go.

• Agree Agree x 1
  7. robcee

robcee Mu-43 Veteran

Jan 10, 2016
    Toronto
    Rob Campbell
    I think we've talked about this before, but I believe you've got a bad copy. I know other people have complained about "rattlesnake" with the PL25 but mine's quiet. I wouldn't necessarily use it for video (though, on manual, with a stuck aperture, it'd be fine), but wouldn't hesitate to use mine in a quiet place.

I love my PL25 1.4 for its sharpness and rendering. I would like to spend a little time with the O25mm f1.2, but for the extra cost, I'm just not sure it's worth it. Would weather sealing make a huge difference for me with a prime lens? Probably not as I'm not going to shoot something like that in inclement weather. Maybe for astrophotography, but it's generally clear and cool when I'm outside doing that. Then again, maybe I'm missing out...

HMMM...

(no)

• Agree Agree x 1
  8. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
  9. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

I know about the rattlesnaking, it's not that... just that the lens mechanicals become the loudest thing in the system - other newer lens designs are almost completely silent. When focussing stills it goes cli-clack, the strange thing is that it's perfectly smooth and quiet during video focussing.

• Agree Agree x 1
  10. ean10775

ean10775 Mu-43 All-Pro

Jan 31, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    Eric
    I inquired about that with a forum member I knew had the lens when I purchased my used copy. It seemed strange to me as I hadn't seen it discussed, but he indicated that it was normal. I found no difference between using it on a Panasonic or Olympus body either.

11. evilnim

evilnim Mu-43 Veteran

Mar 27, 2012
    Birmingham
    All these things boil down to personal preference really don't they. I had the PL25 for years, and it is a great lens. Really liked the rendering, reasonably fast to autofocus, my copy did rattlesnake from time to time but not badly enough to upset me (not my stealth lens and not a movie shooter). I ended up selling a bunch of stuff to get the Oly 1.2, and I'm glad I did. I really like the lens. I prefer the rendering to the PL, and I prefer the bokeh too. The autofocus is super fast and very quiet. Works well with the em-1 body. Ended up selling the PL. They are both excellent lenses. In my opinion, if you can afford to, I'd get the Oly 1.2. If you're on a budget, then the PL is a fine lens, capable of producing stunning images. There's basically no losing side in this choice, which is a pretty cool place to be at :thumbup:

• Like Like x 1
  12. wimg

wimg Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 10, 2016
    Netherlands
    I agree with Amin, and own both the O25 1.2 and P25 1.7. Having tried all other mft P and O options, plus the V 25 0.95, I reckon the Oly 1.2 is the sharpest wide open, across the entire field, and whereas all the others have busy blurred foregrounds in the unsharp areas to a larger or lesser degree, the Oly 1.2 has a beautifully rendered back- and foreground in the OOF areas. Similarly, the transitions from in focus to OOF are very gradual, something which not many fast digital lenses do show.

All the other lenses also need to be stopped down to be their best, while the Oly 1.2 is excellent from wide open. IMO, the P25 1.7 is second best, but I guess it depends a lot on your preference with regard to rendering, and this particular aspect is where I personally like the Voigt the least.

My personal order for image quality, bokeh and rendering therefore would be
    1. Oly 25 1.2
    2. Panny 25 1.7
    3. Panny Leica 25 1.4
    4. Oly 25 1.8
    5. Voigtländer 25 0.95

I did not rate the Oly 25 pancake, as I don't particularly like it based on the tests and reviews I read.

Anyway, the Oly 25 1.2 I use for low light shooting, general photography, landscapes, street, portraiture and semi-macro, the Panny 25 1.7 when I want to travel really light.

HTH, kind regards, Wim

• Informative Informative x 3
  13. Peter Bond

Peter Bond Mu-43 Rookie

Sep 27, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Peter
    Thanks everyone for your comments and suggestions.

14. Ziggy

Ziggy Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Sep 21, 2016
    Melbourne, Australia
    Good luck with your choice.

FWIW I find 25mm or 50mm FE boring as batshit ;-}

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  15. mprazoff

mprazoff New to Mu-43 Subscribing Member

Oct 5, 2014
    Kailua HI
    I only have the 25 1.4. There is a fix for the rattlesnake effect. It apparently is to do with the aperture changes as the camera moves from light to dark areas or vice versa. It is helped by turning off Flicker reduction: Custom Menu - Area D - Second Screen - Flicker reduction to off. Have done this on my E-M10 and have never heard this noise from my PL 25mm. Hope it works for you.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Agree Agree x 2
  16. Hamsong

Hamsong Mu-43 Regular

Dec 15, 2016
    Minneapolis, MN
    Bradley Hanson
    Although I already had the 25 f1.8, I bought the Oly 25 f1.2 specifically before two extremely low light weddings, the first an elopement lit only with candlelight. I was BLOWN AWAY with the quality of the 25 f1.2, and the f1.8 was already extremely good. The extra stop is worth it for low light, or keeping you at 3200 rather than ISO 6400, and it's TACK SHARP WIDE OPEN. I love the rendering, and can't say enough good things about it. As good as any Leica lens I've owned, and dead silent AF. Balances nicely on the EM1. Would probably recommend the HLD-8G if you are using it with the EM5II as the weight with the standard grip might feel front heavy. My only wish for the lens is that is was slightly shorter and fatter, but optical design comes first, and it's a world class lens.

• Like Like x 2
  17. CyVan

CyVan Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Mar 9, 2016
    Jamaica
    Any example shots from those weddings?