Olympus 25 vs Panasonic 25 (f1.7)

ektar

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Don
TBH, I've adapted to shooting 90% of the time with zooms. The purist (and leftover 35mm guy) in me understands the draw of primes. Like other OGs who spent time learning photography on a limited budget, I spent a lot of time shooting with just the "standard" lens. So, for reasons I can't really explain, I keep looking at the less-expensive 25mm standards for m4/3. Can any of the collective offer opinions or comparisons between these two "standards" for m4/3? Shooting with Olympus bodies.

Or, just to be contrary, should I go to the 45mm lens for "portrait" length? Thx!

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
I have not shot with the Olympus 25, but I can attest to the goodness of the Panasonic 25mm f1.7. However, as far as the Olympus 45mm f1.8, I can say it is the only mft lens that has ever been a disappointment in it's lack of clarity wide open. The Panasonic 42.5mm f1.7 is a better lens, in my opinion. Attached are two examples of the P25.
061716_6497_Newark Penn Station.jpg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
092918_7590_Montauk.jpg

RyanM

Mu-43 Veteran
I'd summarize the general consensus around here with the following points:
- both are excellent lenses and produce great images; if you like shooting with a 25mm prime, you will likely enjoy either
- the sharpness and aperture differences (if any) are essentially insignificant
- some have reported noticeable focus shift with the Pan 25mm f/1.7, i.e. the focal plane shifts when stopping down. There is a relatively simple fix for this on Panasonic cameras (as I understand) but not Olympus. That being said, I shoot with this lens on an Olympus all the time and haven't found it to be a significant issue.
- the Oly 25 is significantly more compact
- Overall, given that the Oly is smaller and avoids the focus shift issue, it's a marginally better lens if you don't mind spending the extra $50-100 (depending on whether you're buying new or used and what promotions are on at any given time), but both are great

cdmicha

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Chris
I've got both the Oly 25 1.8 and Pana 25 1.7, and they are both good lenses. The Oly is better built and smaller, which I like, but the Pana can focus with dfd on the newer panasonic bodies... So honestly it's a wash. I use both wide open 99% of the time, and while there is a subtle color difference between them, I can use them pretty interchangeably.

Regarding the 45, it's the first lens I purchased for m43 years ago, and to this day I still love shooting with it (I don't have an issue with it wide open). It's compact, gives fall off due to the focal length, but be aware- it is a slower focusing lens, compared to the 25's. It's not bad, just not as good.

dunsun

Mu-43 Regular
Hey, I have owned all existing AF 25mm m43 lenses.

Olympus 25mm 1.2 - is bit softer wide open but produces very smooth images including a bit weak contrast (which is a good thing for portraits) It is a fast focusing lens.

Olympus 25mm 1.8 - visibly more contrasty than a 1.2 lens. Very sharp wide open. Sharp across the frame when stopped down (I would say it's even sharper than Oly 1.2). Nice thing about this lens is that I have not obtained a bad sample of it yet (decentering was minimal for all of them. That can not be said about Leica lenses ...).

Leica 25mm 1.4 - softer wide open but good enough. Stoped down very sharp. Wide open it's a bit less contrasty. Stopped down it produces amazing shots. It is that special something that makes it the best rendering 25mm AF lens (at least for me). Though I had to sell it (for the second time) because it does lnot ike Olympus cameras (back focusing, not accurate AF).

Leica 25mm 1.7 - had it just for a short time. There is a problem called focus shift when stopped down. That is not nice for Olympus cameras.

As for the sharpness and other stuff - I have owned many samples of each lens so I think I'm pretty accurate in my findings. The first thing I do when the lens arrives to my stock is that I get it, check it and shoot a red hurt that consist of some very fine details.

Conclusion:
If you shoot Panasonic camera get and grab that amazing Leica lens. For Olympus shooters I would recommend Olympus 25mm 1.8 or 1.2 if you are OK with it's large weight/size/price.

Last edited:

dunsun

Mu-43 Regular
However, as far as the Olympus 45mm f1.8, I can say it is the only mft lens that has ever been a disappointment in it's lack of clarity wide open.
I have owned at least 5 samples of 45mm 1.8 lens. That lens is amazing BUT you have to get the right one. If you have the right sample it can produce excellent centrail sharpness. I was really amazed how close it was when compared to my sharpest lens (75mm 1.8 - by the way even for that one you can get a lemon).
Though yes it lacks the contrast especially when shooting against the Sun.

Cheers

Mike Peters

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Real Name
Mike Peters
I have owned at least 5 samples of 45mm 1.8 lens. That lens is amazing BUT you have to get the right one. If you have the right sample it can produce excellent centrail sharpness. I was really amazed how close it was when compared to my sharpest lens (75mm 1.8 - by the way even for that one you can get a lemon).
Though yes it lacks the contrast especially when shooting against the Sun.

Cheers

I guess I had a lemon!

mauve

Mu-43 All-Pro
You can manage the focus shift of the P25/1.7 between 2 and 5.6 by dedicating a button to depth of field preview on an olympus if your body doesn't have one. It's just a matter of focusing with the DoF preview engaged. It's a bit of a drag, but in a hurry you won't really notice the softness, and if you have time you can be pin sharp. For 100 bucks, it's a steal.
M.

Real Name
Curt Schimmels
I echo the sentiments on the various 25mm lenses as posted above. I have the 45mm F1.8 (and the 45mm F1.2) and am very happy with my copy.

The one additional thought I have is to consider the 17mm F1.8 Olympus lens. For me, this is the lens that stays on my Pen-F all the time.

jhawk1000

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Mel
I have the Panasonic 25mm 1.7 and use it on a Panasonic G5 and on Olympus Em-1, Em-5ii, and Em-10. No problems of any kind and the lens I used the most while on my trip to Ireland. Can not compare to Olympus since I do not have that one. I also have the 12-40mm 2.8 and at 25mm, it is hard to see much difference in the two lenses.

D

Deleted member 20897

I've owned both the O25/1.8 and the P25/1.8.

If I were to buy again from those 2, it would be the Oly.

Even with that said, I'll throw 2 additional options out there too.

If you don't mind manual focus, the Mitakon Speedmaster 25mm f/0.95 is a great lens. Acceptable wide open and pretty darn awesome at 1.2.

Then, with just a little bit more reach, the Sigma 30mm f/1.4 is a good option for the money. A little tighter field of view, but nice to have 1.4, which is sharp wide open.

Last edited by a moderator:

Mu-43 Legend
You can see my 25 and 45 choices in my sig. I made these choices based on al the reasons already covered

I will say I have found the O25 af to be fine on my pant body. I don’t know if it’s dfd or not but it’s been plenty fast.

I also like the O25 because the FOV is just a bit wider, which I prefer.

The P42.5 1.7 is a killer lens IMO and I HIGHLY recommend that one

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I had the Oly have the Panasonic, if I lost the Panasonic I would buy the Olympus there is just something I preffer about the images from it. That being said they are both really nice lenses so you can't go wrong with them at all and if one is significantly less than the other then it may make sense, though I am more tempted now to get the 1.4.

Martin11er

Mu-43 Regular
My 45 1.8, that I have owned and appreciated for many years, is pretty sharp even wide open. My 25 1.7 on the other hand is quite difficult to get sharp images from. It is sharp enough if focused manually though, so it is probably due to focus shift. I use it on Olympus cameras, but I am considering to let it go because of the focusing issues. It is a shame since it would be a fantastic bargain if only it worked well. As it stands it is now my least used lens, even though I see myself as a 50 mm (eq.) kind of man..

AVG

Mu-43 Rookie
If you can find a Olympus 4/3's 25 mm 2.8 it is some hell of a lens. I am using it on a OM-D E-5 ll camera with an MMF-3 adapter. here is a photo for you.
P2010003.JPG

phigmov

Probably Not Walter Kernow
While the AF is glacial, the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic is fantastic and compact with a little extra width to it - the pancakes don't get as much love as they used to but they're the lenses that help make the system pocket-able (baggy trousers/shorts or shirt/jacket) in a way that other systems can struggle with.

tkbslc

Mu-43 Legend
While the AF is glacial, the 20mm f1.7 Panasonic is fantastic and compact with a little extra width to it - the pancakes don't get as much love as they used to but they're the lenses that help make the system pocket-able (baggy trousers/shorts or shirt/jacket) in a way that other systems can struggle with.

I find that 20mm is not as close to 25mm as it sounds. 20 and 25mm are very different lenses. 20 is much more like a long 17mm than it is a short 25mm. At least that is how I justify owning the 20mm f1.7 AND the 25mm f1.4. :)

Latest threads

Top Bottom