Olympus 20mm F1.4 PRO released

Sample gallery is up at dpreview.
Personally, I found the samples pretty underwhelming.
Especially compared to the Nikon 40mm f2 samples over here.
That lens is lighter, smaller, and incredibly cheap (not just for Nikon).
I have not craved a Nikon system until now. @pdk42 please cure me?
Here: https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-40mm-f2-review/2/

Looks like Nikon had to cut a few corners to keep it compact and I expect OMS 20 f1.4 to be a better performer.

DPReview lens galleries are not the place were I would seek inspiration ;)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Simple - the guy with the Nikon is a better photographer. I strongly suggest the difference is nothing to do with the camera or lens!

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
so far (from dpreview's raw files), this lens got some abberations party, not that different from that pancakey f1.7...
even i do love 40mm efl lens, and the rendering of oof area of this bigger 20mm is nice, i may not buy this faster 20mm new... (waiting for a good deal of a used one at the corner).

edit: i always have and always will appreciate anyone that reviewing something and telling about any serious flaws about what they reviewing... and here's some pic's from dpreview that i played a lil bit with...
Untitled.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

(no corrections applied, except aberrations and some adjustement on hms)
it will always be a scene like this to see how good optical corrections (not the software one). and for me, i will always avoid scene like this for my photography...

and sharpness test...
Untitled.jpeg

(no corrections applied, except aberrations, my usual sharpening, a bit local contrast and some adjustement on hms)
all in all, definetly will wait for a good deal for a used one.
(eventough i already have quite many of 40mm lens that covering ff sensor, i will buy that nikon 40mm for my z7, maybe new one but definetly not po-ing)

Last edited:

greensteves

Mu-43 Enthusiast
I have to agree that the Nikon images had more punch, and that's at least partly due to more punchy subject matter. The OM System had very nice bokeh. This just my subjective impression, but the OM System's subjects in-focus seemed a bit soft to me. It's hard to say if it is purely the subject matter offering insufficient contrast, the rapid fall-off of focus with the narrow depth of field, or if the lens also contributed. Possibly some post-processing could fix this. I'd also like to see more objective tests from Lenstip, PC Magazine, etc. So far, the tests given show good sharpness, but they don't have quite the rigor that I'd like to see, given the impression of softness that I'm getting.

Update: There are interesting comments under the DPReview gallery. Someone has reprocessed the raw images in Lightroom, and gotten much better results. Also, there is some indication that Capture One may be less than optimal for converting Olympus Raw images.

Update 2: I took the leaf foreground with bicycle background image through DXO Photolab 4 using the Clearview Plus effect on the leaves, and then through Topaz AI Sharpen, again on the leaves. The end result was significantly improved, though I had hoped for something closer to it without all that processing. Partly, the lighting was not optimal to bring out the detail in the leaves. It still may be worth buying, for the total package with weather sealing, light weight, bokeh, and fast autofocus.

Here is another review, from Photography Blog: OM System M.Zuiko Digital ED 20mm F1.4 PRO Review

Last edited:

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
DPReviews image set with the O20 is definitely uninspired. But I don't see anything there that would make me hesitate to take a closer look at the lens.

For me, the key feature on which I would hang a recommendation for this lens is the "feathered" bokeh, and that wasn't well showcased by the test photog. There's only really one photo that showcases the OOF rendering well, but that fact it's shot straight into the sun kinda distorts it.

- K

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
We know that DPReview TV is already recording a review for this lens. I'll wait for their judgement.

greensteves

Mu-43 Enthusiast
DPReviews image set with the O20 is definitely uninspired. But I don't see anything there that would make me hesitate to take a closer look at the lens.

For me, the key feature on which I would hang a recommendation for this lens is the "feathered" bokeh, and that wasn't well showcased by the test photog. There's only really one photo that showcases the OOF rendering well, but that fact it's shot straight into the sun kinda distorts it.

- K
I think a number of the images show good OOF rendering. The Christmas lights test, for instance, shows excellent bokeh at a variety of f-stops.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I think a number of the images show good OOF rendering. The Christmas lights test, for instance, shows excellent bokeh at a variety of f-stops.
Yeah, you're right that those do some some good bokeh. Frankly, I kinda skipped past those in the image set just because they're so uninspired. I guess what I was looking for is more "organic" images showing the OOF rendering.

- K

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
From photographyblog.com

This lens is an outstanding performer optically, proving to be pin-sharp in the centre and at the edges throughout virtually all of the frame, even when shooting wide-open at f/1.4.

Vignetting is a little heavy when shooting wide-open, but sunstars at f/16 are very well defined and flare is not evident even when shooting directly into the sun.

Chromatic aberrations and barrel distortion are well-controlled in both the JPG and Raw files and the bokeh is very nice thanks to the combination of the f/1.4 maximum aperture and 9 rounded and feathered aperture blades.

Im quite comfortable with my preorder. The rendering and colours from various early views look really nice imo. The bokeh in some of PhotographyBlog samples is very pleasing, lacking the busyness I see in a few lenses (such as my 40-150 Pro at times) . An Olympus live stream last week in particular swayed me enough to buy. Boring photos is one thing. I'll attempt not to take boring photos, lol.

And on top of that, it's not JUST about IQ properties. It's fast, it's not huge and it's totall weathersealed and rugged. It seems the long overdue perfect companion to an Em5 series body. A tool for the job. I'm still going to be a poor photographer, but that's not the lenses fault, lol.

Last edited:

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason

The 40mm and 28mm Nikon primes have me considering a Z5 as a step into mirrorless FF . Wouldn't break the bank. But it's not really a solution for an area of photography (general use) that I feel overly lacking in. I'm looking more at sports for a potential second system use. The Z5 isn't really that solution, lol.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Actually, in discussing the O20/1.4 and Z40/2 , photographyblog.com is perfect. Because their last two lens reviews are actually those two lenses. And you can view good sized sample images of the same scene shot with both lenses.

The Nikon combo seems to be a bit warmer and more saturated in colour output (possibly slightly underexposed relative to the Oly) , but in a couple of shots where we can assume the same point of focus I think the O20 is a bit sharper. The F/2 obviously wipes the background a bit more in equivalent framing, but may also vignette more heavily. Minimum focus distance on the Oly would also make it more flexible .

I'd be happy with either if i was in the relevant system. the Z40 seems a no-brainer for Nikon users. But its not remotely equivalent in build quality.

Actually, in discussing the O20/1.4 and Z40/2 , photographyblog.com is perfect. Because their last two lens reviews are actually those two lenses. And you can view good sized sample images of the same scene shot with both lenses.

The Nikon combo seems to be a bit warmer and more saturated in colour output (possibly slightly underexposed relative to the Oly) , but in a couple of shots where we can assume the same point of focus I think the O20 is a bit sharper. The F/2 obviously wipes the background a bit more in equivalent framing, but may also vignette more heavily. Minimum focus distance on the Oly would also make it more flexible .

I'd be happy with either if i was in the relevant system. the Z40 seems a no-brainer for Nikon users. But its not remotely equivalent in build quality.
Now that you mention it, I do remember the PRO lenses being referred to as 'clinical'.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
One thing I haven't seen mentioned either way is whether the 20mm is focus stack compatible. It'd be nice if it was, just to make full use of the Em5.3 features. It's interesting that none of the 1.2 Primes are FS compatible. In fact, only two of my lenses are - the 40-150 Pro, and the 100-400 Tele. It would be nice to have something a little shorter, lol.

One thing I haven't seen mentioned either way is whether the 20mm is focus stack compatible. It'd be nice if it was, just to make full use of the Em5.3 features. It's interesting that none of the 1.2 Primes are FS compatible. In fact, only two of my lenses are - the 40-150 Pro, and the 100-400 Tele. It would be nice to have something a little shorter, lol.
True. That's quite silly how they restrict this artificially. At least we have this: https://www.mu-43.com/threads/modified-firmware-looking-for-users.99804/

greensteves

Mu-43 Enthusiast
DP Review TV reviewed the 20mm f/1.4, and created a whole new set of images: DPReview TV: OM System 20mm F1.4 Pro review . These images look substantially better and sharper than those in the initial DP review gallery, perhaps due to the sharpening applied to them in Capture One Pro, as well as better light on the subjects. The review itself was basically positive about the lens.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Interesting comment from Chris about the lens outresolving the 1iii sensor.

The rendering of the lens looks really good in that gallery.

Real Name
Mike Peters
I'd really be interested in a direct comparo between the OM 20 and the P 20. One of the things that I don't like about the newer O/OM lenses is how they render details. I find them to be almost over sharpened, sort of crunchy looking and blocky. One place where I tend to see this is in eyelashes, and the O-Pro glass I had made it look like everyone had heavy mascara on, while my P/L glass tended to show actual eyelashes with a more delicate rendering. Just as much detail, but with a different idea as to how they should look. I subsequently dumped my O glass, except for my 75 which seems to have been designed differently and more closely matches the P/L look. The P 20 has always been a favorite, but the unit focus needs to be upgraded one of these days.

DeeJayK

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Keith
I'd really be interested in a direct comparo between the OM 20 and the P 20. One of the things that I don't like about the newer O/OM lenses is how they render details. I find them to be almost over sharpened, sort of crunchy looking and blocky. One place where I tend to see this is in eyelashes, and the O-Pro glass I had made it look like everyone had heavy mascara on, while my P/L glass tended to show actual eyelashes with a more delicate rendering. Just as much detail, but with a different idea as to how they should look. I subsequently dumped my O glass, except for my 75 which seems to have been designed differently and more closely matches the P/L look. The P 20 has always been a favorite, but the unit focus needs to be upgraded one of these days.
I agree a direct comparison between the O20 and the ancient P20 would be interesting.

Interesting observations regarding the Olympus Pro lenses as well. I wonder if the difference in the O75 is that it was actually designed (and produced?) by Sigma, as has been rumored.

- K

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
well, from the latest gallery of the not pancakey 20mm... interesting to see, the same aberrations, but seems quite blended nicely, maybe because of the subject of choice? or really did a better culling job? maybe more pp-ing to please some that went on rampage as a denier of the last gallery? funny :D
P1494752_03.jpg

(only playing with highlight, mid, shadow, and aberrations corrections... be damned that sharpening, local contrast, and NR)

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I agree a direct comparison between the O20 and the ancient P20 would be interesting.

As soon as I have mine, I'll certainly run a few comparisons for everyone , but I don't have a P20 in the bag atm. 17 Pro, 15PL, 17/2.8, 025/1.8 I have. I might still have the S30/1.4 which might be interesting, though I was considering trading it in. Maybe I can find / borrow a P20. Any Melbournians with a P20 keen for a comparo, lol?

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom