Olympus 20mm F1.4 PRO released

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
No longer available, does it come with chips? Why would so many U.K. photographers demand this. I do fancy one. Today I was shooting in a 105 year old swimming baths. Lenses used, P14-140. pL15mm and the underused P7-14 which was brilliant on the tripod and with the Godox strobe. Thus 2 slow lenses covering the O20’s focal angle.
15A1F568-BD51-432C-B559-4487B9E08CBF.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
After considering it for a while, I'm going to call into my local camera store today and pre-order the 20mm. I'm not 100 percent certain what my MFT future looks like , but I think it will always be my compact system and thus this lens on the 5iii seems to be a must-have for how I'm looking to streamline my gear.

But it'll mean I'll have to sell a few other bits and pieces as I just can't splurge $1200Au at the moment.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
I just put down a deposit. The Olympus (OM) video with Matt Suess was enough to convince me.

SteveAdler

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
20mm is a fantastic focal length to walk around with. I used the Lumix 20mm f1.7 for years before replacing it with the 12-40, which is bigger, heavier, but with the same IQ at 20mm f2.8. I personally would put a 20mm f1.7 on an EM5 III because with the pancake lens fits in a large coat pocket.

greensteves

Mu-43 Enthusiast
Here's an interesting comparison of 40mm FF equivalent vs 28mm FF equivalent, when comparing the Ricoh GRIIIx (40mm) to the GRIII (28mm): Shooting with the Ricoh GR IIIx on a trip home to England . Main conclusion: "After a couple of weeks shooting only with the GR IIIx, I think I know what my ideal travel camera kit would be. It would consist of two cameras: the GR III for landscapes and general street-style shooting and the GR IIIx for portraits and details." I wonder if OMDS will provide a 14mm (28mm equiv.) Pro lens in the future?

Last edited:

PakkyT

Mu-43 Legend
Main conclusion
If you work with two focal length for a while you do get used to them and they will feel natural. And if you try to use a different focal length it won't seem "right" to what you are now used to. However it could be any two focal lengths. Many Oly users, myself included, have used 17mm and 25mm for a long time and that pair seems "right" and trying to then use a 20mm might seem "wrong". Likewise a Panny user might feel right at home with 14+20 and the 17mm feels "wrong". Some other person might be all about the 25mm+45mm Oly combo. And then there are those weirdos who only leave the house with the 45+75 combo but we don't talk about them. :laugh1:

The point being you need to find out what you find most comfortable with using, determining the limitation of any pair, and if you are ok with those limitations. I wouldn't get too wrapped up in what another blogger wrote about their own experience with a particular pair of focal lengths as being the final word on the two that should work for anyone. Also it will depend a lot on where and what you typically like to shoot. The wilderness hiker and the urban city explorer will likely have needs for very different pairings for example.

Mike Wingate

Mu-43 Legend
Real Name
Mike Wingate
I took the P42.5mm lens with me when I went to photograph Victoria Baths, with a group of photographers. I started outdoors with the P14-140. Changed to the P7-14. Tried to use the P42.5, but just wrong indoors, even for detail shots, of which there were not many. No fancy tiles or cast iron work. Then the PL15mm for the upstairs shots, that was fast and bright on A at 5.6. Then downstairs with the 14-140 again. First time out of the house with the Godox 860 II which was really useful as OCF. The chap I was shooting with also had a GX80, with the P14-140 and a P20mm. It will be good to compare photos.

The Electric Squirrel

Mu-43 Regular
This new lens is quite chonky compared to the good old Pannycake 20/1.7, but now that some initial reviews are in, the rendering seems actually quite nice. Were there to be a Pen F or a GX10 that had an AF-system that could keep up with small kids, I might even splurge some hard cash on such a package...

I really like the 40 mm (equivalent) focal length, and actually I really like the "pannycake", but it's autofocus is a joke, even when compared to say a Panny 25/1.7, let alone my FF gear.

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Lol, I'm getting impatient. The estimate is early December shipping . I can't wait that long!

It's been raining heavily for days in Melbourne, would be perfect to test the IPx1 rating......

So I'm going to amuse myself by fruitlessly speculating on what the next 1.4 lens might be if it becomes the targeted line for Em5 series bodies.

40mm fov isn't hugely common but it's still a traditional focal length. If they try to avoid clashing with the 1.2 Pro's , I wonder if they'd aim for 28mm equivalent? Could a 14/1.4 be made suitably compact without sacrificing pro IQ ? And then maybe a 27mm. 55mm fov was reasonably common in the 70's / 80' s.

Like I said, totally fruitless, lol. Now, where's my 20mm !?

Last edited:

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Veteran
Nice video on using this lens with Frank Smith and Matt Suess: Get To Know the M.Zuiko 20mm F1.4 PRO . I've been mostly a zoom lens guy, but this has convinced me to try using my Pana Leica 25mm f/1.4 more extensively. And if I find that to be helpful, I may consider buying this 20mm prime as well.
I still can’t figure why OM Systems are pushing this lens using wildlife photogs. The lack of enthusiasm from them was tangible. I shoot a lot when I hike or backpack and given weight constraints I only pack the holy trinity. The only time my 17 mm would be useful is by the fire or in the tent.

The 20 mm lens is ideal for street and indoor family shots and, I think, there’s a missed PR opportunity there.

That said, I like the fact, that they started bringing women into conversation - I am referring to another webcast here.

comment23

mu-43 frequent flyer
Real Name
Simon
Lol, I'm getting impatient. The estimate is early December shipping . I can't wait that long!

It's been raining heavily for days in Melbourne, would be perfect to test the IPx1 rating......

So I'm going to amuse myself by fruitlessly speculating on what the next 1.4 lens might be if it becomes the targeted line for Em5 series bodies.

40mm fov isn't hugely common but it's still a traditional focal length. If they try to avoid clashing with the 1.2 Pro's , I wonder if they'd aim for 28mm equivalent? Could a 14/1.4 be made suitably compact without sacrificing pro IQ ? And then maybe a 27mm. 55mm fov was reasonably common in the 70's / 80' s.

Like I said, totally fruitless, lol. Now, where's my 20mm !?
Ok, I’ll play.

One possibility would be halving and doubling. So a 10mm and a 40mm. Wouldn’t directly replicate existing focal lengths.

Alternatively perhaps 14mm and 35mm if it helps keep the size down. Although personally I might find 14mm a bit too close to 20mm, I think.

Jeffcs

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I still think OM needs a wider fast lens as the 20 is equal to a 40 in terms as FF I’d like to see a 10mm so I did get the 8-25 but would love a 10ish fast prime

saladin

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
jason
Pre-christmas stock of this lens is not plentiful. Seems a fair bit of early interest from buyers.

shreebles

Mu-43 Veteran
Sample gallery is up at dpreview.
Personally, I found the samples pretty underwhelming.
Especially compared to the Nikon 40mm f2 samples over here.
That lens is lighter, smaller, and incredibly cheap (not just for Nikon).
I have not craved a Nikon system until now. @pdk42 please cure me?

Tread-Lite

Mu-43 Veteran
Here: https://www.cameralabs.com/nikon-z-40mm-f2-review/2/

Looks like Nikon had to cut a few corners to keep it compact and I expect OMS 20 f1.4 to be a better performer.

DPReview lens galleries are not the place were I would seek inspiration ;)

pdk42

One of the "Eh?" team
Simple - the guy with the Nikon is a better photographer. I strongly suggest the difference is nothing to do with the camera or lens!

ivanbae07

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
I.B.
so far (from dpreview's raw files), this lens got some abberations party, not that different from that pancakey f1.7...
even i do love 40mm efl lens, and the rendering of oof area of this bigger 20mm is nice, i may not buy this faster 20mm new... (waiting for a good deal of a used one at the corner).

edit: i always have and always will appreciate anyone that reviewing something and telling about any serious flaws about what they reviewing... and here's some pic's from dpreview that i played a lil bit with...
Untitled.jpeg

(no corrections applied, except aberrations and some adjustement on hms)
it will always be a scene like this to see how good optical corrections (not the software one). and for me, i will always avoid scene like this for my photography...

and sharpness test...
Untitled.jpeg

(no corrections applied, except aberrations, my usual sharpening, a bit local contrast and some adjustement on hms)
all in all, definetly will wait for a good deal for a used one.
(eventough i already have quite many of 40mm lens that covering ff sensor, i will buy that nikon 40mm for my z7, maybe new one but definetly not po-ing)

Last edited:

Latest threads

Top Bottom