Olympus 20mm F1.4 PRO released

Craig

New to Mu-43
Oof. That's a bit more cash than I was hoping for it to be!

Were we expecting it to come in at around this price?

(1st post. Yay :) )

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Welcome to the forum!

martinkuipers

New to Mu-43
Doesn't look like it has one (from the images).

It is surprisingly small, which I'm really pleased about. IMO micro 4/3 needs to concentrate on high performance and compact lenses, otherwise there is very little advantage to not going for FF.
B&H states that it does have a focus clutch on the spec list, but the official page doesn’t mention it, and I don’t think they would leave out an USP.

But in a few hours we know for shure with the Planned hands on video

Tapper

Mu-43 Veteran

Yeah, I was hoping for $599 but I knew it would be more, so not surprised. I'm sure it will be a very good lens, and one that I will keep an eye on for the future. Certainly more affordable and lighter than the f1.2 primes.

RichardC

Pastafarian minister
Real Name
Richard
B&H states that it does have a focus clutch on the spec list, but the official page doesn’t mention it, and I don’t think they would leave out an USP.

A few desperate youtubers reviewing the lens despite not actually having received one to test :rofl:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran

Where's the hands on video gonna be posted, please?

I could only find this cantonese (HK?) channel's planned hands-on, which I have watched previously despite having to rely on subtitles:

ibd

Mu-43 Top Veteran
These are the current smallest options around that focal length. I've added both versions of the 20mm as the older one is ~15% lighter! ;)

None of them are weathersealed. But the new OM System lens doesn't even come close in terms of compactness and light weight!

1636032642336.png
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

PakkyT

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
I suppose they could just have left the DOF scale off. Who reads it anyway?
Not so mention that back with the 17mm it was reported that the scales were wrong anyway, so kind of useless if you tried to use them.

But the new OM System lens doesn't even come close in terms of compactness and light weight!
Olympus has done some pancakes lenses in the past but I don't feel that they sold well. Mostly because they were "slow" apertures for primes.

In the 4/3rds days there was the 25mm f2.8 which I never heard chatter about so felt like not a lot of people got this one. Part of that might have been Oly dSLRs were so chunky back then, maybe no one really felt a pancake would do much to make a "compact" carry around setup even with the E-4x0 and E-6x0 models.

For m43 they did have a 17mm f2.8 but it was retired some time back and I feel it was probably because at the time everyone was more interested in fast primes like the Oly 17/1.8 and the pancake probably didn't sell well enough to bother making it anymore. Especially when Panasonic also had a fast 20mm f1.7 pancake that was roughly the same sized lens but with more than a stop faster aperture.

Real Name
Cata
These are the current smallest options around that focal length. I've added both versions of the 20mm as the older one is ~15% lighter! ;)

None of them are weathersealed. But the new OM System lens doesn't even come close in terms of compactness and light weight!
m43 system is small/compact as long as you stay away from PRO designation.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
What's with these new Pro lenses with no focus clutch? 12-45, no. 8-25, yes. 20, no. In the non-pro metal lenses: 12, yes. 17, yes. 75, no. I find it irritating that the lens controls vary so much across the lens lineup.

exakta

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I don't think the 75mm is a PRO lens

It's not pro...that's what I wrote: non-pro metal

The 12, 17 and 75 are not pro but not plastic fantastic either. All three have metal barrels, use setscrew (ugh) metal lens shades (instead of plastic bayonet shades) but two have focus clutches and one doesn't.

It's just inconsistent. Personally, the clutch is more intuitive for me than assigning a button to MF. Just my opinion.

Latest threads

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom