Olympus 2017

Discussion in 'Micro 4/3 News and Rumors' started by prophet, Jan 1, 2017.

1. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Any guesses as to what Olympus will release in 2017?

2. probably a boat load of stuff I really don't need... but will crave... and no doubt purchase! :doh:

• Funny Funny x 7
  3. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    I don't think we'll see an E-M5 Mk.III until early 2018, so my guess is we'll see some lenses, likely some additional PRO f/1.2 prime lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  4. joma416

joma416 Mu-43 Regular Subscribing Member

Aug 31, 2014
    Toronto, ON Canada
    John
    They released a ton of new stuff in 2016, so I would expect a fairly quiet 2017. I am guessing it will be very light on new bodies but we should see a few new lenses.

• Agree Agree x 2
  5. prophet

prophet Mu-43 Regular

Aug 10, 2014
    Since the E-M1 II turned out so expensive, I would so like to see the E-M5 III.

• Agree Agree x 1
  6. ijm5012

ijm5012 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Oct 2, 2013
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Ian
    The E-M5 II was released in Q1 of 2015, more than a year after the E-M1's release (Q4 of 2013). It also was released 3 years after the original's E-M5 release (Q1 of 2012). I wouldn't expect to see the E-M5 III formally released in 2017, although I would expect to see leaks about it towards the end of the year.

I'd expect the E-M5 III to be launched in February of 2018, as Olympus wouldn't want to cannibalize sales of their flagship camera this early after launch, plus the E-M5 II is still an exceptionally capable camera.

• Agree Agree x 3
  7. mcasan

mcasan Mu-43 All-Pro

Feb 26, 2014
    Atlanta
    I would seriously doubt E-M1 Mark III :rofl:

• Funny Funny x 3
    • Agree Agree x 1
  8. kreegah bundolo

kreegah bundolo Mu-43 Regular

Mar 25, 2013
    Sweden, north of the dalälv
    Johan
    Only a E-M5 III, maybe a AIR mkII. PL8 is new and so is M1 II, and I have given up hope about a P6, only a M5 III remains.

Lenses though, a really nice 1,8 zoom would do fine, if Sigma can do the 18-36/1,8 so should Olympus, perfect zoomwidth on a 4/3.

• Agree Agree x 3
    • Sad Sad x 1
  9. drd1135

drd1135 Zen Snapshooter Subscribing Member

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Maybe a nice FW update for the Pen F?:biggrin:

• Like Like x 2
    • Agree Agree x 2
  10. Giiba

Giiba Something to someone somewhere

Aug 19, 2016
    Burnaby, BC
    E-M1.1 firmware 5.0!

• Agree Agree x 4
  11. retiredfromlife

retiredfromlife Mu-43 All-Pro

May 15, 2016
    Sydney, Australia
    I would like the TG4 to get an upgraded sensor

• Agree Agree x 2
  12. Repp

Repp Mu-43 Top Veteran Subscribing Member

Jan 27, 2011
    Oak Harbor, WA
    At this point I'd really just like to see price drops on some of the existing lenses... darned expensive hobby.

• Agree Agree x 5
    • Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 2
  13. wjiang

wjiang Mu-43 Hall of Famer Subscribing Member

Only with GAS!

14. zensu

zensu Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Aug 8, 2012
    Alabama USA
    Bobby
    I too wish for the Pen E-P5 be upgraded to E-P6 with all the features of the Pen F but with WR a tiltable EVF and without that creative control dial sitting in the front panel. :hide:

• Agree Agree x 2
  15. drd1135

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    I suspect there would be no great outcry if the creative knob disappeared.

• Sad Sad x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  16. Growltiger

Growltiger Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 26, 2014
    UK
    Pen F Mark II with the same AF as the E-M1 II (but not all the other E-M1 II features that add cost).

And two creative control knobs instead of one. Big ones.

• Funny Funny x 8
    • Wow Wow x 1
  17. drd1135

Mar 17, 2011
    Southwest Virginia
    Steve
    Ahem, the knob could go away or be reassigned to a dial as long as the features remained. I came to like being able to adjust those color and B&W jpegs in camera.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Turbofrog

Turbofrog Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 21, 2014
    The trouble is that Olympus doesn't have a mid-upper-range camera that ticks enough of the boxes that people just expect as par for the course these days. The E-M5 II's sensor was old when it launched, and while the improvements are not massive, the 20MP sensor is an improvement in terms of low ISO detail and dynamic range. Furthermore, the lack of 4K video is an increasingly big stumbling block, since competing Panasonic cameras have had it for a long time now. The AF performance is just straight CDAF that lags behind the PDAF E-M1s and the DFD Panasonics.

The PEN-F sort of fits that mid-range role with the upgraded sensor, but it doesn't have the weather-sealing or EVF quality that many buyers in that price class expect from a work-horse camera. Basically, the E-M5 II doesn't stand above the cheaper G85 in any way, looks distinctly lower-end compared to GX8 for just ~$100 more, and leaves a yawning $900-1100 gap all the way up to the E-M1 II which most buyers are not willing to bridge. Unless you really want weather-sealing or the high-res mode, the E-M10 II looks like way better value for money than the E-M5 II, and like even better value against the PEN-F if you don't care about the new sensor.

Basically, it looks like if you want to buy a new general purpose Olympus camera in 2016 or 2017, you should probably just buy a Panasonic instead. Or a Sony. Or a Fuji. I think there are a lot of original E-M5 owners that still haven't found a compelling excuse to upgrade, and while the E-M5 II is a solid camera, it really feels like it needs a quicker-than-usual iteration to stay relevant. Unless Olympus wants to just keep it on a constant $200-400 rebate cycle to try and look competitive on price, which can't be good for the bottom line.

An E-M5 III with the 20MP sensor, 4K video, and a nice big EVF but without the ludicrous feeds, speeds, and focus tech of the E-M1 II for ~$1200 would put a little bit of air between it and the value-champ G85 and importantly would give buyers a lower-priced E-M1 II alternative that doesn't seem totally obsolete. A bread and butter camera. The PEN-F can stay in the line-up at the same price as a beauty queen and on its own merits, it seems to attract enough people on that basis.

• Agree Agree x 7
    • Wow Wow x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Sniksekk

Sniksekk Mu-43 Veteran Subscribing Member

Apr 7, 2015
    @Turbofrog@Turbofrog and if that camera you describe there has the old flip-up/down-screen instead of swivel-out...
    that would be a camera for me!

• Like Like x 1
    • Winner Winner x 1
  20. pake

pake Mu-43 All-Pro Subscribing Member

Oct 14, 2010
    Finland
    Teemu
    One or two f/1.2 lenses coming this year. That's for sure. I guess they'll introduce a new camera in the 2nd half too (not an E-M5III though since it's more likely to come in spring 2018).

What I hope will happen:
    - Olympus finally realizes that usable AF-C shouldn't be exclusive to its flagship model (other brands have usable AF-C in their EVERY model)
    - TG5 gets released and is equipped with a bigger, better sensor and 4k video
    - Introduction of an f/1.8 or f/2 zoom (any focal lengths would do since that would hint that there's hope for faster zooms like 25-75 f/1.8)
    - And the most important one: they'll leak images of the E-M5III which show its "revolutionary" LCD screen (inspired by Fuji X-T2) :biggrin:

• Like Like x 1