Olympus 20% off Reconditioned- FALLOUTLET

Leo_B

Mu-43 Regular
Real Name
Leo
The sale has been extended through today. At this moment there are no lenses, not counting the 30 macro that is the same price brand new on the new page as the sale price for refurbished so I wouldn't consider that one off the refurb page. The TG5 with float strap and card is still tempting at $264 after the discount.

Salt Spring Island, British Columbia, Canada
Real Name
Jan Steinman
.... just ordered the LS-P4 digital recorder for $114.47 .... great price for an awesome recorder ...
I'm on a strict diet — no more toys over $100 — so I got the VP-10 recorder for $28.57 — over 70% off!
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Now… how to convert speech to text…

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Took advantage of the sale to pickup an E-M1 MK II. My E-M1 Mk I is a refurb and has served me well, and I was mulling over the Mk II and decided to see if it is a keeper for my needs.

The Good:
  • Olympus shipped the body on the same day as my order. That was quite prompt.
  • The body looks clean and only has 300+ shots on the shutter. I know most go through some test shots, and that is certainly a very low number, but I do not know if they do a reset on the count when they refurbish the bodies. Not really an issue as it is warranted and I will probably pick up an extended warranty.
The Bad (or not so good):
  • The battery had no charge on it on arrival. I am not sure if that is how they are shipping them these days for safety, but it is not really ideal for the life of a Lithium battery to sit drained. Most products I receive come with a partially charged battery.
  • The camera did not start from a cold boot up. No date or time was set, but IIRC, I thought there was a splash screen for new and refurbished bodies. Again, no issue at all, just an observation.
  • The MCS code in the hidden menu is slightly different that what biofos.com thought it should be. They show the body as 4183 and mine is showing 4182. Probably no issue at all, but funny that it was different.
  • The body was refurbished in April and is only now making its way out the door. That seems like a long time to be sitting on refurbished merchandise.
  • I wanted to use some discount points with my purchase, but was not aware they could not be combined with the 20% coupon. Now my points have been converted to a credit certificate and I cannot add points to it to make the credit a larger amount. This is frustrating as I believe that I am supposed to receive more point from this purchase and wanted to use all of the points to buy down an extended warranty policy. Not possible as Olympus limits you to one discount per purchase. I was told I could write to have the credit converted back to points, but that seems like a royal pain in the backside.
The Ugly:
  • Olympus shipping policies. I requested 2-day shipping and they use FedEx. No worries. I have a FedEx account and can place a hold for pickup or request a delay of a day if I am not at home. When APS sent me back my D500 after repairs this summer, they used FedEx and required a signature. I placed a hold for pickup since I work most weekdays and did not want to play tag with the FedEx drivers. Very convenient and secure. Olympus locks down their shipping instructions and will not allow ANY changes. While I would say this is not unreasonable, they DO NOT require a signature on receipt. So, I was not able to determine when the body got shipped, I could not request a hold for pickup which required a drivers license match to the package for release, and my package was left on my porch mid-afternoon yesterday. If you are going to lock down the instructions, wouldn't you also require a signature?:hmmm: Thankfully I was able to contact a neighbor who secured it for me as package thefts do occur in our city.
The battery is now charged and I am hoping to run some shots this weekend.

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
All you need to do is email and Nichole will put your reward points back into points status. I made the same mistake on my order from the 20% off sale. Nothing to it really.
That name sounds familiar. I wonder if she has been there for some time. Is there a generic email address that you recommend or should I attempt to pull one from their website?

Thanks,

--Ken

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
All you need to do is email and Nichole will put your reward points back into points status. I made the same mistake on my order from the 20% off sale. Nothing to it really.
One more question. did you pick up points from your refurb purchase? The site indicated I would be getting them, but the FAQ said no. I would have just used the points I converted as the extended warranties were not on sale, but if I picked up more points, that would have made it a much better price.

--Ken

Real Name
Jan Steinman
The body… only has 300+ shots on the shutter.
Of course, that says nothing about how much it has been used. My three-year-old one only has about 1,000 "on the shutter," as I use electronic shutter almost exclusively.

But of course, as a mechanical part, the shutter count is meaningful even in my case, if you intend to use the shutter much. I'm pretty happy with the electronic shutter, although I don't do a lot of high-speed action shots.

Real Name
Jan Steinman
Just the regular orders@olympus.com. Tell them your order number and they'll fix it right up. And no points when buying refurb unfortunately.
I think it is always worth it to use that email address when you have a problem. A lot of the things the OP doesn't like are not so much Olympus policy, but how the website is wired.

For example, the website won't let you use a non-US credit card. orders@olympus.com suggested using PayPal instead, with the same credit card, and it worked fine. (I live in Canada, but pick up stuff from my step-daughter's house in WA.)

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
Of course, that says nothing about how much it has been used. My three-year-old one only has about 1,000 "on the shutter," as I use electronic shutter almost exclusively.

But of course, as a mechanical part, the shutter count is meaningful even in my case, if you intend to use the shutter much. I'm pretty happy with the electronic shutter, although I don't do a lot of high-speed action shots.
It is true that it is not that meaningful, but I am assuming that nobody would be overly happy about receiving a body that had 10K on it, so I am still considering lower better than higher, with the caveat that they certainly could have reset the counter. And just for reference, I looked at my E-M1 which I picked up in 2013. The count was just over 32K, and this is a body that I use with some frequency, so I am certainly not worried about pushing beyond the rated life of the shutter anytime soon.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
I think it is always worth it to use that email address when you have a problem. A lot of the things the OP doesn't like are not so much Olympus policy, but how the website is wired.

For example, the website won't let you use a non-US credit card. orders@olympus.com suggested using PayPal instead, with the same credit card, and it worked fine. (I live in Canada, but pick up stuff from my step-daughter's house in WA.)
And as I mentioned above, I believe that Nicole has been there for some time because I believe that she may have helped me a few years ago. She was quite helpful IIRC.

--Ken

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
It is true that it is not that meaningful, but I am assuming that nobody would be overly happy about receiving a body that had 10K on it, so I am still considering lower better than higher, with the caveat that they certainly could have reset the counter. And just for reference, I looked at my E-M1 which I picked up in 2013. The count was just over 32K, and this is a body that I use with some frequency, so I am certainly not worried about pushing beyond the rated life of the shutter anytime soon.
10k is an infant, and 32k is still a youngster.
My D7200 is over 60k, and I expect it to go to over 120k.

Replytoken

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Ken
10k is an infant, and 32k is still a youngster.
My D7200 is over 60k, and I expect it to go to over 120k.
Yes, they are not high mileage. But I also have two Nikon bodies and a couple of Panasonic bodies that also see duty, so the burden is shared. I shoot heavy at events, but hate culling afterwards.

--Ken

ac12

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yes, they are not high mileage. But I also have two Nikon bodies and a couple of Panasonic bodies that also see duty, so the burden is shared. I shoot heavy at events, but hate culling afterwards.

--Ken
Ha, I know what you mean.
I am not looking forward to culling the 900 shots at the tennis game last week.
And the 700 shots from the football games last night.

popheiz

New to Mu-43
EM1 mkII is $999 after coupon, 40-150 f4-5.6 is $48 after coupon. The 12-100 f4 is tempting at $840 after coupon
I brought the Em1Mk2 for 999.99 plus State tax. I been waiting for the price to go lower than 1000.00. Now my youngest son will become the owner of my D750 with the 28 - 300mm lens.

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom