Olympus 20% Off on Refurb Products

demiro

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Exactly the same as you should here - either get your money back, or ask for a unit in the 'advertised' condition. It's obviously annoying not to get what you ordered, but it's not a difficult situation to remedy. Olympus makes mistakes, same as everybody, but that's not the typical case by a long ways.
I agree. Sometimes brand new gear is defective too, but that generally doesn't prompt anyone to say "I'll never buy a brand new camera again." Not sure why an occasional snafu on a refurb causes such a stir.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I agree. Sometimes brand new gear is defective too, but that generally doesn't prompt anyone to say "I'll never buy a brand new camera again." Not sure why an occasional snafu on a refurb causes such a stir.
I think people expect refurbs to look new. Most manufacturers recondition items to look like new. Oly clearly ships items that qualify as "Used and repaired to acceptable functional condition"

This is where I got my E-PL5. Looked brand new out of the gate.
I've gotten a few gems and one dud from Oly. The dud was a PM1 that obviously was used. The screen was scratched and there were scuff marks. If it wasn't going to be my beater camera, I would have sent it back. For me it was acceptable on a $115 purchase.

shaolinmonk

Mu-43 Veteran
It might work for you but if I pay refurbished price, I expect refurbished condition, not well-used. Besides, $550 is 30-35% more than what they sell for used, on FM. Last one sold there was $400.
I wonder how you'd deal with a seller that instead a brand new product sends you a used one, even if the price was right.
refurbished doesn't mean brand new though, lots of times refurbished things have blemishes etc. anyway not trying to start an argument, it's too bad it didn't work out for you.

yakky

Mu-43 Top Veteran
refurbished doesn't mean brand new though, lots of times refurbished things have blemishes etc. anyway not trying to start an argument, it's too bad it didn't work out for you.
So what is the difference in refurbished vs used and repaired?

shaolinmonk

Mu-43 Veteran
Here is my view
Used can be any condition, functioning or not its just used

Repaired is when something is broken and fixed...only the issues are fixed nothing else is reviewed

Refurbished is something that can be used or repaired but is fixed but also inspected to ensure it meets a standard that is then backed by a brief warranty period. Whether or not that "standard" is acceptable to the customer is another issue though

Sent from my HTC One using Tapatalk

hookgrip

Mu-43 Regular
Oly refurbs are usually in good shape, but not always "like-new" like some other brands' refurbs are (Canon comes to mind).

Just something to keep in mind.

Biro

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Steve
I received my refurbed Stylus 1 early this week but only had a chance to look at it closely today. No bezel crack, no scuffs - it looks brand new. I popped in the spare battery from my E-PM2 and it fired right up. All settings were as if the camera had just left the factory. I just set my day/date and preferences for aspect ratio, jpg and movie quality.

The camera itself seems pretty solid - kind of like a smaller E-M5. The EVF is just fine. My only potential concern is the built-in, self-retracting lens cap. I have the same sort of arrangement on my Fuji X-F1 and it always seemed a bit fragile. But the Fuji hasn't given me any trouble and with any luck the Oly won't either.

One interesting thing: the zoom works noticeably faster if one uses the toggle near the shutter button on the right-top of the camera versus the toggle on left side of the lens. Clearly, the lens toggle is intended for video use.

So far, I'm pretty pleased.

youry

Mu-43 Regular
Almost three weeks later and still waiting for them to refund my money. I just opened a Paypal claim.
Honestly, I'm not even surprised Olympus is almost bankrupt.

BAPHA

Mu-43 Regular
I had to call them twice, they said their claims department was "backed up". It took about a month to get my refund. I strongly suggest calling them.

Sent from my iPhone using Mu-43

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom