1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

Olympus 18-180mm Aperture Glitch

Discussion in 'Adapted Lenses' started by imjustcreative, Jan 31, 2013.

1. imjustcreative

imjustcreative New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2013
    Seaford
    Graham Smith
    First post here on MU-43, so I hope I don't break any rules. :)

The Simple Version
    My 'Olympus 18-180mm Four Thirds Len's mounted via the 'Olympus MMF-2 Lens Adapter' onto my 'OM-D E-M5' is doing a 'funky' thing with the diaphragm when zooming out, or zooming in.

When zooming in, or out, there is a noticeable 'click' which turns out to be the diaphragm attempting to close, now this can happen 2-4 times in one full extension. When I shine a light into the lens barrel I can see the diaphragm trying to close, the movement is slight about 1.5mm then it opens back up again.

Things I have tried
    I have updated camera and lens firmware; cleaned all the contacts; experimented with Manual and Auto focus modes; turned on and off IS, manual focus enlargement, lens reset and camera full reset, and pretty much anything that might have an odd affect on the lens, AF and exposure from the camera.

Only happens when the camera is turned on, but it even happens if the lens is 'locked' as there is still a tiny bit of travel with the barrel which is enough for it to happen.

This is my first Four Thirds lens on Micro Four Thirds body, so have no idea if this is normal, or if it's the adapter, the lens, the body or a combination of 2 of the 3.

I'm half expecting this to be filed under 'no ideas', but I hope to be proven wrong.

Many thanks
    Graham

2. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Canada
    What exposure mode are you in? P?

3. imjustcreative

imjustcreative New to Mu-43

Jan 31, 2013
    Seaford
    Graham Smith
    dav1dz: Currently in Aperture Priority, but I have tested it in all mode: Manual, Shutter Priority and iAuto etc, still funks out.

It really is quite bizarre, and frustrating as I don't have a Four Thirds body to see if it's just something to do with the adapter etc.

4. juangrande

juangrande Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 2, 2012
    COLORADO
    My 14-54 MKII does the same thing. Changes aperture and brightens (ISO changing?) It was not autofocusing either in "A".

5. MeandmyGF5

MeandmyGF5 New to Mu-43

Jul 16, 2013
    First entry ever. Forgive me.

Same lens, on my GF5 by way of a Viltrox JY-43 adaptor (mmf-2 knock off?) in iAF mode, it autofocuses, but only after going through a huge range of focus steps. It might take 5 seconds to find focus, but no strange aperture movements in the process. Still playing around with settings, but a bit disappointed in my new setup. Not a fan of MF...