Olympus 17mm f1.8 mount

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mongol, Mar 11, 2014.

1. mongol

mongol New to Mu-43

Dec 25, 2013
    Bought an Olympus 17mm f1.8 lens yesterday for my E-PL5 and tried using it this morning for the first time. First of this type of lens I've bought. One thing that stood out was that the mount felt very stiff compared to the 14-42 kit lens - I actually didn't have it turned all the way so the red dot was on top, and had a black screen. Reluctantly (due to the already very tight mount) turned it a bit farther and it works, but doesn't have the smooth "click" that you get with the 14-42 when it locks in. Expensive lens, so just wondering if that stiffness is normal, metal effect vs plastic maybe? Or if I'm just being paranoid :). Thanks.
  2. Muntjack

Muntjack Mu-43 Veteran

Jul 26, 2010
    Some Oly lenses are stiffer than others... many complained that the 45mm was extremely stiff. I have both of these lenses and whilst they are stiffer than others I don't find them alarmingly so.
    Great lens..... hardly ever dismount it actually.
    • Like Like x 2
  3. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    The same thing. My Oly 17mm is very stiff as well.
  4. DL Photo

DL Photo Mu-43 Veteran

Nov 15, 2012
    Richmond, BC, Canada
    Interesting. Just got off the phone with Olympus as I received my 17 1,8 on Friday and I have the same issue. Have to really twist it on when compared to the 14-42EZ and the 40-150.....those turn much easier.

I am just wondering if the lens fitting so tightly can cause any damage to the camera. First lens that has ever been this stiff for me.

Olympus will exchange for me if I want......but may not be needed if this is what others have been up against and no harm has been done to the camera.
  5. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Try a little but if light machine oil applied to the bayonet using a small cloth.
  6. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    I think that has to do with the lens construction though as some Oly lenses fit softly. 45mm is rather stiff as well. I been using 17mm for almost year now with no problems to the camera.
    • Like Like x 1
  7. b_rubenstein

b_rubenstein Mu-43 All-Pro

Mar 20, 2012
    Melbourne, FL
    Every camera maker explicitly instructs owners to never do this. Oil will attract dirt and dust, which it will combine with and make lapping compound. Not to mention possibly migrate to electrical contacts and cause poor connections.

The kit lens has a plastic mount, which is relatively soft and has a bit of natural lubrication so they're easier to mount and remove. I also think Olympus has an issue with their mount tolerances; I don't run in to this issue mounting Panasonic lenses on my Olympus cameras.
    • Like Like x 1
  8. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    My Panasonic DMW-MA1 (aka FT-M43 Lens Adapter for full 4/3 lenses) does not mount smoothly on my E-M1, although it is not as bad as your description.

I would be reluctant to add any oil as there's a chance of contaminating the lens and/or the sensor.

I would probably seek an exchange for a new lens (not refurbished) if possible.

9. LowriderS10

LowriderS10 Monkey with a camera.

May 19, 2013
    Eek...there's absolutely no way I'd ever put oil on the mount. The chances of it getting on the sensor (especially on mirrorless), on the lens, or attracting dirt, etc are too great!

Don't worry...a lot of people complain that mounts are too stiff on M4/3. I like it! At first (after moving from Canon DSLRs), I was worried, but now I love the way they feel...secure with no wobbling at all.
  10. ErnieH

ErnieH Mu-43 Rookie

Mar 8, 2014
    Ontario, Canada
    I have an E-PL5 and the 17mm f1.8 as well. The mount is tight and makes a gritty sound when I mount the lens. Not sure if it got better on its own or if I just got used to it. But doesn't concern me now. The 17mm is my go-to lens so it's on the camera most of the time anyway.

Do a forum search for "nose oil". I tried it on an older body once and it works surprisingly well. I would avoid any other type of lubricant.
  11. MaK543

MaK543 Mu-43 Regular

May 1, 2012
    MD USA
    Nothing wrong with tight mount. I rather see a tight mount than wobbling mount. :wink:
    When mounting a lens, hold it near the mount and twist away, all the way to the end. Plastic mounts are always easy to turn because if the mount is too tight, it may crack. Metal mounts don't have this issue, and they are usually built with much tighter tolerance.
  12. marciow1

marciow1 New to Mu-43

May 11, 2014
    My 12 f/2, 17 f/1.8 and 45 f/1.8 are all very stiff to mount/unmount compared to my O14-42 kit lens. I can't unmount the 12 without gripping hard the ribbed area near the mount, so it makes one handed lens changes difficult. I could easily unmount the O14-42 with just the tip of my thumb and index finger. If you do like I did and sell the O14-42, then your 17 will feel normal :smile:.
  13. dav1dz

dav1dz Mu-43 Top Veteran

Nov 6, 2012
    Better stiff than not loose. So...
  14. starcolony

starcolony New to Mu-43

Nov 8, 2013
    My Oly 17mm was VERY snug upon purchase (compared to 12-50mm qnd 45mm oly). It seems to have broken in a bit with use. I'd say your lens is just fine.

I'm OK with the snug fit. I'm hoping that will help keep any dirt or moisture from sneaking in via the mount. I've put a clear filter on the front and may try a bit of bicycle innertube or gaffers tape around the body to complete my 17mm poor man's weather-proofing.

Snug is better than loose. :wink: TR
  15. mario23

mario23 Mu-43 Regular

May 9, 2014
    Same experience with my 17. I'm glad to hear it's more common and not necessarily an issue.

Sent from my SM-T520 using Tapatalk
  16. barry13

barry13 Super Moderator

Mar 7, 2014
    Southern California
    My 17mm 1.8 and 45mm 1.8 are both very tight... previously I though the Pana 4/3 to m43 adapter was tight, but these are much tighter.