Olympus 17mm f1.8 manual focus issue on EM1

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by mqz512, Jun 9, 2015.

1. mqz512

mqz512 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2015
    I am using 17mm f1.8 on EM1 body. Body is at ver3.0 and lens is 1.0 firmware (no updates as I can see)

I have enabled both peaking (white) and magnify options.
    Normally I will set focusing to S-AF+M mode.

Without snapping back the lens ring and just by turning it, I can immediately see manual focus with magnify and peaking color appearing. However once I snap back the ring towards myself, I lose the peaking color and magnify option. (I thought snapping back the ring is the supposedly manual focus activation)

Anyone able to help? is the lens faulty or firmware issue?
    btw I have tried the same lens on another body (ep5) and it is the same.
    Thanks

2. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    I think it is one of those weird Olympus quirks. Once the lens goes into MF via the clutch mechanism, it treats the lens like if it were adapted from another system. You'd have to assign focus assist functions to a physical function button, then press it once the lens gets put into MF mode via the clutch.

• Useful Useful x 1
  3. mqz512

mqz512 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2015
    Any idea if such a glitch occurs on all, or is it specific to certain pieces of 17mm?
    I wonder if bringing to Olympus servicing will help in anything..

4. sfmurph

sfmurph Mu-43 Regular

Jul 4, 2013
    San Francisco
    This is normal. Unfortunately. The snap-back causes the lens to act differently when it comes to those things. It does seem odd though, and doesn't happens with the "Pro" zooms with the snap-back. I don't know if it happens on the 12mm too. The lens is still fly-by-wire in that case, right? I'd think the body would know!

5. mqz512

mqz512 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2015
    So do u guys experience the same thing for this lens? This is quite a buggy issue for ppl who like to snap back the ring for instant switch to manual focus with peaking and magnify function though.

6. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    I use the 17 on the e-m1 a lot... but rarely use MF... dont see the need really... but each to their own I suppose.

I do sometimes use other MF lenses... and I have assigned the front 2 buttons on the body to the right of the lens to switch on peaking and magnification... this works well for me as I can choose to use either focus peaking or magnification or both with minimal finger movement

dont think the behaviour you describe is a bug as such, just a quirk. If it worked as you described I would find it very annoying indeed

K

• Agree Agree x 1
    • Useful Useful x 1
  7. mqz512

mqz512 New to Mu-43

Jun 9, 2015
    Wouldnt you want the features of peaking and magnify (if enabled in menu) to be auto activated once you snap back to manual focus? This is what I see for 12-40mm pro lens and also the 40-150mm pro lens.
    I wonder why it doesnt work with 17mm f1.8, is it because it is an older lens?

8. kevinparis

kevinparis Cantankerous Scotsman

Feb 12, 2010
    Gent, Belgium
    Actually no..... if i ever switched to manual focus on the 17, the last thing I would want was instant magnification and peaking.. would rather switch that on as and when I needed it... but hey we all shoot different

maybe it is a 'Pro' feature.. the 17 isn't branded as 'Pro'

K

9. Aushiker

Aushiker Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Sep 12, 2014
    Fremantle, Western Australia
    Andrew
    Thanks for this. I was getting the same on my EM-1 + O 17mm and also was curious as to how to activate focus assist with a Pentax lens I adapted just light night in fact.

Andrew

10. gryphon1911

gryphon1911 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Mar 13, 2014
    Central Ohio, USA
    Andrew
    You are welcome. Learned that awhile back when I was trying to get the peaking to work on my EM1 and an adapted Tamron 90mm f/2.8