1. Reminder: Please use our affiliate links for holiday shopping!

olympus 17mm f1.8 issue

Discussion in 'Native Lenses' started by 92se-r, Oct 26, 2013.

1. 92se-r

92se-r Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    Has anyone ever had an issue with their 17mm f1.8 clicking loudly? It only happens in CAF in movie mode, set at P priority. The clicking is really loud, and is either from the focus motors or aperture motors. It basically overpowers all the audio in the video. I've already sent it back for warranty and all they did was open it up, clean and calibrate it. When I got the lens back, it seemed to fix it, but now after a couple weeks, it is clicking loud again. I've only had this lens a couple months and it didn't do this when new. Any ideas? Anyone have this issue? Thanks!

2. Matero

Matero Mu-43 Veteran

Jun 22, 2013
    Finland
    Hi,
    No clicking with my 17mm and I've used it a lot. Should have noticed if any extra sounds.

3. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Could it be aperture 'rattlesnaking'? That is, when the camera changes aperture rapidly in response to changing light levels.

4. 92se-r

92se-r Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    That's what I'm wondering. Theres probably only 2 sources of noise, aperture changing and af motor. Ill try it on A priority with caf still on.

5. biomed

biomed Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Aug 22, 2013
    Seattle area
    Mike
    It should be easy to see if the AF motor is hunting and causing the noise. I would think the change of focus would be visible on the LCD or EVF of your camera. Does the lens still click when mounted on another body?

Mike

6. jyc860923

jyc860923 Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Feb 28, 2012
    Shenyang, China
    贾一川
    maybe too bright and the aperture sounds?

7. 92se-r

92se-r Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    So I changed to aperture mode and made it stay at a constant aperture. It for sure is the af motor. It does the same on my buddy's e-m5. What I don't understand is it didn't have this problem when new. I sent it back, and all they did was open, clean, and calibrate according to the warranty paper. What can cause clicking internally like that related to af?

8. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
  9. lwongd2n

lwongd2n New to Mu-43

Oct 21, 2013
    I've also experienced a similar issue. I ended up returning it to Amazon and re-ordering another.

10. Wisertime

Wisertime Mu-43 All-Pro

Aug 6, 2013
    Philly
    Steve
    That's what I was thinking the 25 and 75 both do it. I think the 45 as well, but maybe quieter.

11. 92se-r

92se-r Mu-43 Regular

Oct 26, 2013
    Its definitely not the aperture blades. I purposely closed up the aperture so the video would stay dark and let me know if aperture was changing.

Well that's not good. I had not heard of any other people having this problem and now people are coming out with this problem. Hopefully olympus replaces mine.

12. gochugogi

gochugogi Mu-43 Veteran

I have a 17 1.8 and its extremely quiet on my E-P3: no clicks whatsoever. However, my 14 2.5, 45 1.8 and 60 2.8 all suffer from aperture 'rattle snaking' on the E-P3. Oddly, when I use the 14 2.5 on my GX1 it doesn't click at all, only when used on the E-P3. As I scan across changing light the aperture blades rapidly open and close, causing clicks. I found it odd that the same lens clicks on one camera but not the other.

13. Dramaturg

Dramaturg Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jun 7, 2013
    Ukraine
    Yevgen
    As it has been noted, the problem is not with the aperture blades. The lense makes noise while tracking objects and while focusing, which means there is a problem with focus mechanism. Too bad non of the reviewrs noted this issue. I would never spend $500 on such a faulty lens. My lens has been at Olympus service center in Moscow for four weeks already. This means I missed so many nice autumn shots. What if I was making my living with this camera? There is no way Olympus can go pro in this part of this world if it takes them more than a month to fix the lens. Even with E-M1.

14. granite

granite New to Mu-43

Nov 11, 2013
    I have the same issue, I don't remember it happening when I first bought the lens. I hardly use video and when I initially received it, I took some quick clips as a test. Yesterday I happened to try video again and I hear the loud clicking during CAF/tracking -- the only difference between when I first bought the lens (around the original release date of the 17mm 1.8) and yesterday is the difference in firmware on my E-M5. Will have to try testing the lens on another body. Keep us posted with your repair statuses... thanks!

15. Ramsey

Ramsey Mu-43 Top Veteran

Jan 9, 2013
    Zagreb, Croatia
    Same thing. First autumn with my camera and it takes them 3,5 weeks (and counting) to fix minor issue. I know it's due to centralising the region (all repairs are made in Czech republic and i'm in Croatia) but still... Really unprofessional. They don't even bother to offer you a replacement...

16. Taro

Taro New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    I have the same problem. I didn't have it before but suddenly started to notice it recently.

In A mode it happens when the camera focuses. It's most audible in continuos AF when the camera is trying to find focus. I think it also happens in single AF. I'm sure it's related to the AF motor or something. I hope this is a software problem and not a broken lens.

17. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

These lenses are designed for photography use and thus do not work real well for video. The best solution is to go manual! All professional video work is done this way and that is why they look so good.

18. pdk42

pdk42 One of the "Eh?" team

Jan 11, 2013
    Leamington Spa, UK
    Hmm - the lens is marketed as MSC - Movie & Stills Compatible. However, I agree in general with what you're saying - proper manual focus pulling is the way to go fir truly professional video.

However, having read the replies here, I'm still unconvinced that the problem is anything other than aperture rattlesnaking. Unless you're actually filming in video mode, I think the camera will drive the aperture blades to suit the sensor's sensitivity needs. Using A mode and setting a specific aperture will not prevent this. The aperture you set will only take effect once you release the shutter.

I know from personal experience that this sort of aperture noise is very unpredictable - I'd had my 12-35 for months and thought it did not suffer from rattlesnaking and then one day it did. It all depends on the lighting and how you move the camera.

Anyhow, maybe I'm wrong in this case, but I'm just saying that it's hard to predict when rattlesnaking happens and it can happen in most camera modes.

19. Taro

Taro New to Mu-43

Nov 14, 2013
    Helsinki, Finland
    This is also happening in video mode when aperture priority is selected. So I don't think the aperture blades are the problem. The clicking is a only happening when the camera is changing focus.

Also if you are in manual mode the clicking isn't happening at all.

20. speedandstyle

speedandstyle Mu-43 Hall of Famer

Turn it to manual focus and see if it still does it! If the noise stops then it is the AF and not the aperture. If the noise persists then it is the aperture. I don't own this lens so I can test it myself.