Olympus 17mm f1.8 Acceptable Sharpness???

Aviator

Mu-43 Regular
When I had the opportunity to get my 17/1.8 I was not totally convinced on buying it due to all the bad reviews about its performance.

Anyway I still got it, and I do not regret it, I'm a happy user of the 17mm lens. I think all the problem with this lens goes back to the bad rap on the internet that has prevailed until today, just because it is not as sharp on brick wall shots as their 25 and 45 siblings. But that doesn't mean is a bad lens, in real world shooting is perfectly capable and competent. Your images prove it.

When I got my Olympus 17/1.8 I sold a technically better lens, the Sigma 16/1.4 and I simply don't regret it.

mumu

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I tried a Panasonic Leica DG Summilux 15mm f1.7 ASPH over the past few weeks. It was a nice lens but there was something about its images that just didn't "pop" to me. So far, I prefer the images from the 17mm compared to the 15mm.

This small prime will by far spend the most time on my camera.
I wonder if I just just forget the whole thing and stick the 20mm.
Am I thinking to much about this and just being ridiculous?
You've already found that you prefer the results of the 17/1.8 so I think that answers your question. The goal is to make yourself happy with the results and it sounds like you've done that.

Examples from each lens just because I love photographing her.
She hates it.
452B6DFB-A1AD-4F9A-9D70-93F5B0AA4F0A.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)
EEBDB55B-967A-421D-A954-0EA9C54F160D.jpeg
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

When I had the opportunity to get my 17/1.8 I was not totally convinced on buying it due to all the bad reviews about its performance.

Anyway I still got it, and I do not regret it, I'm a happy user of the 17mm lens. I think all the problem with this lens goes back to the bad rap on the internet that has prevailed until today, just because it is not as sharp on brick wall shots as their 25 and 45 siblings. But that doesn't mean is a bad lens, in real world shooting is perfectly capable and competent. Your images prove it.

When I got my Olympus 17/1.8 I sold a technically better lens, the Sigma 16/1.4 and I simply don't regret it.

I handled that Sigma in store when I went to try the 17mm. The guy kept trying to get me to go with it but the whole point is get something smaller/lighter than my 12-40mm Pro. I just couldn’t see myself really using that one much.

RAH

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Rich
If you decide against the 17mm f1.8, here is an alternative suggestion. Check out the 12-45mm f/4 Pro. Image quality is indistinguishable from the 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro, and it is small enough and light enough that it just might meet your grab-and-go requirements. If it does, trade in your 12-40mm f/2.8 Pro for the 12-45mm f/4 Pro, keep your Lumix for low light situations, and be done!
I agree with @ColorBlind - get the 12-45 F4 Pro, and use the 20mm 1.7 for low-light.

ata3001

Mu-43 Veteran
Not quite a year ago I sold my O 17/1.8 & bought the PL 15/1.7. I found the 15/1.7 to be sharper, & exhibit higher contrast, especially micro-contrast. I've always been & continue to be happy with the 15/1.7 results however lately I've been re-examining the images from my 17/1.8 & find they have a "look" to them that the 15/1.7 lacks. It's hard to explain, but can be seen in side by side comparisons. Images need be sharp, but sometimes that sharp, yet softer looking image is preferred over what some have termed as "clinically sharp" in describing the PL 15/1.7 images. I no longer own the O 17/1.8, but have gained a whole new appreciation for the "look" that this lens gives. I have learned that, ultimate sharpness isn't always going to give you that ultimate image.
I have found a way, in post processing, to give the PL 15/1.7, that same "look" that I used to get with the O 17/1.8. I will add a very slight bit of glamour glow which is available in Nik Software to give me that "look"
By the way, I still love the PL 15/1.7, but the O 17/1.8 is, in no way, inferior.

Last edited:

RichardC

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Richard
I got the f1.2. I thought I would use both, but that never happened, so the f1.8 version went.

From memory, mine performed best at about f2.8-3.5.

Stopping down to f5.6 or f8 is a very hard habit to break, but with the majority of MFT lenses, there is no benefit in image quality - just more DOF on top of the extra DOF you already have.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Forum GIFs powered by GIPHY: https://giphy.com/
Copyright © Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom