Showcase Olympus 17mm f/2.8

BleedingGumsMurphy

Mu-43 Veteran
Does anyone else notice the constant focus motor movement uses battery faster? Only just got mine last night but I can feel it moving a lot. I am 90% sure this is the case, but perhaps my battery wasn't fully charged.

Focus speed is going to take some getting used to: missed lots of shots last night, so switched to manual focus. Today I was just a little more patient with autofocus and that helped, I can't get quick snaps of moving objects like I can with my P25mm f1.7. Loving the quality of the images though, considering it was less than a quarter of the price of the 1.8.

I have only taken a few test shots so far, plus am new to RAW and photo editing, so bear that in mind (I purposely bumped up the sharpness and clarity to see how much detail can be extracted)...

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Debbie.Cato

Mu-43 Regular
I shot an entire 5k race for my company last year using primarily the 17 2.8 and E-M5. Approximately 1000 photos. I turned off all automatic functions that would drain the battery and did not have any issues at all. I used zone focus and photos came out beautiful. I tried to use the 25 1.8 but it was not wide enough. I may sell it and replace it with the 17 1.8. I would still keep the 2.8 though - the pancake form factor is wonderful on the E-PM2 as a small always ready purse solution. I previously tried the 20 1.7 and did not bond with it.

saladin

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
jason

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
Does anyone else notice the constant focus motor movement uses battery faster? Only just got mine last night but I can feel it moving a lot. I am 90% sure this is the case, but perhaps my battery wasn't fully charged.

Focus speed is going to take some getting used to: missed lots of shots last night, so switched to manual focus. Today I was just a little more patient with autofocus and that helped, I can't get quick snaps of moving objects like I can with my P25mm f1.7. Loving the quality of the images though, considering it was less than a quarter of the price of the 1.8.

I have only taken a few test shots so far, plus am new to RAW and photo editing, so bear that in mind (I purposely bumped up the sharpness and clarity to see how much detail can be extracted)...

View attachment 536843
A nice capture.. :)

agentlossing

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
Real Name
Andrew Lossing
I shot an entire 5k race for my company last year using primarily the 17 2.8 and E-M5. Approximately 1000 photos. I turned off all automatic functions that would drain the battery and did not have any issues at all. I used zone focus and photos came out beautiful. I tried to use the 25 1.8 but it was not wide enough. I may sell it and replace it with the 17 1.8. I would still keep the 2.8 though - the pancake form factor is wonderful on the E-PM2 as a small always ready purse solution. I previously tried the 20 1.7 and did not bond with it.
I do love the rendering of this little lens, which I finally got rid of for the second time. Even though most lenses for the system are manufacturer-agnostic, I see both the 17mm f2.8 and the 20mm f1.7 as needing to be used with bodies that match in manufacturer. The 17mm does not perform well on Panasonic bodies, with that endless rocking back and forth. Likewise the 20mm is glacial on Olympus bodies, since they utilize the same rocking action to attain focus, while on Panasonic bodies you have the benefit of DfD, which is a godsend for that lens, frankly.

The 20mm is also my second try with that lens, but this time I bonded, and oh my goodness is it good.

Ulfric M Douglas

Mu-43 Hall of Famer
...Likewise the 20mm is glacial on Olympus bodies, since they utilize the same rocking action to attain focus, while on Panasonic bodies you have the benefit of DfD, which is a godsend for that lens, frankly.

The 20mm is also my second try with that lens, but this time I bonded, and oh my goodness is it good.
My 20mm is always on Olympus bodies and does very well. Focus is fast but not as fast as other lenses.

matthias

New to Mu-43
with Panasonic GH1

in Salvador, Brazil

mpeg

4/3 Activist...
Real Name
Gordo
Slight contrast and crop...

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
I found myself using this FL a lot.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro
They are made of chocolate.

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro

alex66

Mu-43 All-Pro

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom