1. Reminder: Please user our affiliate links to get to your favorite stores for holiday shopping!

Showcase Olympus 17mm f/2.8

Discussion in 'Native Lens Sample Image Showcase' started by Amin Sabet, Dec 14, 2009.

1. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Let's see some Olympus M. Zuiko 17mm f/2.8 lens photographs!

2. Brian Mosley

Brian Mosley Administrator Emeritus

Dec 15, 2009
    I really love the 35mm effective focal length (efl) field of view (fov) of this lens... it really needs distortion/CA correction though, currently I'm using Olympus Studio, Capture One v5 PRO and Bibble 5 pro beta but none of them really nail the correction automatically.

I should really overcome my prejudice against Adobe and start using Lightroom - but I'll probably just wait for Bibble Labs / Phase One to add automatic support.

E-P1 + 17mm f2.8
    1/100s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

1/500s f/5.6 at 17.0mm iso200

It's great to use face detection with this lens - and point and shoot freely to get some great angles.

1/200s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

1/2000s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

1/125s f/2.8 at 17.0mm iso200

1/125s f/4.0 at 17.0mm iso200

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 7
  3. Swandy

Swandy Mu-43 Veteran

Dec 15, 2009

• Like Like x 8
  4. BBW

BBW Super Moderator Emeritus

Many thanks for posting these shots. They're very helpful to those of us who are still sitting on the indecision fence about which E-P and which lens to start out with.

I've got the lens decision made... One down, one more to go.

5. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I still like this lens. This is my city:

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidargrov/4281856236/" title="Torgallmenningen, Bergen. by VidarFoto, on Flickr"> 4281856236_c420fe10fd_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Torgallmenningen, Bergen." /></a>

• Like Like x 10
  6. BBW

Vidar, did you shoot it in black and white or did you shoot it in color and then change it afterwards?

I'm interested in understanding more about which works best depending on various things.

7. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    I shot it in colour, then converted it to B&W using Lightroom.

Shooting digital I always shoot in colour then I can convert it to B&W on my computer. Think that is better than letting the "computer" in the camera convert it, gives me more control over the greytones, but I am in no way expert in this technique.

• Like Like x 1
  8. BBW

Thanks for your quick response Vidar. I'm sure you're wise in choosing the post production method of conversion. Just wanted to check.

As I said, I'm not experienced with much. A good friend of mine has Photoshop and claims I would find their less expensive version Elements to be fine. I will say that I've noticed quite a few of the folks on here referring to "Lightroom" but don't know much about it at all.

Do you find it difficult to get "true" whites when you convert to black and white? I'm guessing much depends upon the original exposure as to how white or how black various parts of the scene can even be. Maybe I am thinking of a fictitious "zone system"?:smile:

• Like Like x 1
  9. BBW

Well, here we go. My E-P2 came via our affiliate linked Amazon:wink: today, late this afternoon. I quickly charged the battery and attempted to figure out how to make things work. The light was starting to ebb outside, so I took a few...and only noticed at the end that the incandescent light bulb option was on!?:eek: So our dog is too blue and the outside shots were all super dark and blue, too. I attempted a fix via iPhoto.

So although they are not good shots, they're my first E-P2's and I figured it was important to post 'em.

I've got a ton to learn on this thing and right now I have to say it seems a bit overwhelming but I'm sure I'll figure it out with some help from my friends.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/4289170114/" title="1 year old today by Otra2004, on Flickr"> 4289170114_37e9838d70_b. "1024" height="693" alt="1 year old today" /></a>

This may be too big, and I may not have attached them properly.

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/otra/4288428911/" title="Winter thaw by Otra2004, on Flickr"> 4288428911_e1e195aa9f_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Winter thaw" /></a>

• Like Like x 6
  10. Khaireen

Khaireen New to Mu-43

Jan 19, 2010
    National Muzeum, Kuala Lumpur

I just acquired a ep-2 last week. This image was captured 17mm f2.8.

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  11. BBW

Congratulations on your new camera - and welcome to ยต mu-43.com! The light in your photograph is really nice - very soft. I'm sure you're a way beyond me in knowing how the camera works and I look forward to seeing more of your work in the future.

If you haven't stopped by this thread, you might like to: https://www.mu-43.com/showthread.php?t=287. I guess you might say it's the "introduction" thread.:smile:

12. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi Khaireen, and welcome to mu-43!

13. Amin Sabet

Amin Sabet Administrator

Apr 10, 2009
    Boston, MA (USA)
    Hi BB, I just saw your first E-P2 post! We've all been there with the wrong WB setting. Your puppy looks very sweet, and I like the outdoor photo. Psyched for you that your E-P2 is here :yahoo:.

• Like Like x 1
  14. BBW

Well, I swear I didn't touch the controls - just put it in Program...but I guess when I was scrolling through the menus trying to understand them I must have changed something. I have so many questions. If I can, I'm going to try to spend a lot of time tomorrow I can reading through the manual...which is not the easiest for me to understand. I will probably end up posting a few questions about it on the appropriate forum.

I do like it and think it's going to be a great companion...maybe not quite as great as our dog though.:wink:

Thanks for sharing my enthusiasm!:th_salute:

15. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    Hi BBW, remember to browse through our E-P1 Review Diary over on the Safari Group's coordination site... and fire away with any questions you have - I'm here to help!

Most of all, relax - take your time and enjoy the learning... being able to carry your camera around daily will give you lots of 'down time' opportunities to play with settings and controls. I was still learning new tricks weeks after getting mine!

Cheers

Brian

• Like Like x 1
  16. BBW

Thanks so much for that reminder Brian! I knew that I'd seen a really helpful place with information but in all my site surfing and bookmarking, I couldn't remember where!

I'm sure you're correct - it will all come to me in due time...at least some of it will.:wink:

17. Brian Mosley

Dec 15, 2009
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidargrov/4165742379/" title="Nobody Home by VidarFoto, on Flickr"> 4165742379_d2b823be52_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Nobody Home" /></a>

• Like Like x 2
  19. Vidar

Vidar Mu-43 Top Veteran

Dec 31, 2009
    Bergen, Norway
    <a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/vidargrov/4330152958/" title="Tree With Vignette by VidarFoto, on Flickr"> 4330152958_36cc0cfb58_b. "1024" height="768" alt="Tree With Vignette" /></a>

• Like Like x 9
  20. BBW

There's nothing like snow on a tree.:cool::thumbup:

• Like Like x 1