Showcase Olympus 17mm f/1.8

Arundo Donax

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Milan, EM-1.2
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
A few playing with my new Pen F mono modes and the 17mm.

davidzvi

Super Moderator
Real Name
David
And a few from the New England Auto Show yesterday. I like how the reflections from the ceiling cut the McLaren in half.

ean10775

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Eric
I've been looking at a 35mm equivalent for my Olympus system for quite some time and finally picked this up as my local shop had a used copy in mint condition for a good price. I plan on leaving my trusty X100T at home during the family vacation next week as I planned on bringing the EM5II anyway to have access to longer focal lengths. I'll see how I get on with it as my main lens for the trip.

49590939857_c05e9e57d1_b.jpg P2261930 by Eric, on Flickr

Last edited:
A gloomy Saturday afternoon walk, I wasn't even going to bother with the camera, instead I decided to put this little gem of a lens on. I am glad I did.

Henry01

Mu-43 Veteran

sgt08

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Scott
I always think that this lens got a bit of a bad rap, and that's a shame because as the recent images here show it has a really lovely rendering! I only replaced my copy because I wanted something a little wider to pair with my 25mm.

ArizonaMike

Mu-43 Top Veteran
I always think that this lens got a bit of a bad rap
My experience has been that all of the Olympus lenses that I have tried have been good, even the ones that don't get much press. I have not found a bad Olympus lens, even those that are relatively inexpensive like the 17mm.

Up until recently I have used zooms almost exclusively, most of them being relatively high priced lenses like the 12-40 and the 40-150 Pro but not too long ago I bought a used 12-50 because I wanted to see how its "macro" setting worked and found that I really liked the lens itself. It covered a longer range than the 12-40, it was lighter, it was powered (which I guess I could have done without), it could be used as a macro lens and I found I used it more than the 12-40 because of those advantages. I almost never use the 12-40 anymore.

Given that I then bought a used 17mm and fell in love with it. I love how light and sharp it is, I like the field it covers and the color of the images. I now find myself being drawn to the small primes (I am thinking about a used 12mm at Mpb) to use as walk-around lenses. I still use the Pro long lenses for birding but for everything else I am happy to use some of the less well regarded lenses.

As I said I have not found a bad Olympus lens, especially in the mid to wide range.

BrianLa

Mu-43 Regular
Trying out my 17mm f1.8 at Fountains Abbey in North Yorkshire. This area is called the Undercroft. It carries a significant section of the Abbey south across the River Skell.

jdmz

New to Mu-43

jdmz

New to Mu-43

jdmz

New to Mu-43

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom