Showcase Olympus 17mm f/1.8

Nick779

Mu-43 Regular
If shooting with a clear blue sky vignetting is very visible on mine. I either work on it in RAW or crop out
It was badly decentered. I bought it with a small dent in the bezel for cheap. If you focus on something in the top right corner, the entire frame is blurry but that corner. Im sending it back for a refund, I ended up buying a grey market new in box for $265.

I actually like the len's natural vignetting, the distortion not so much.

Last edited:

koei

Mu-43 Rookie
E-M5

Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

koei

Mu-43 Rookie
E-M5

koei

Mu-43 Rookie
E-M5

Cross-posted from the Travel forum.

Real Name
Richard
Had a one camera/one prime day. Took these at the Black Country Museum, Dudley, UK.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime
Real Name
Richard
Very nice pictures.
I love the colors and detail.
I don't see any detail degradation on the corners. You have a good copy of the 17mm there.

I wonder why all other samples of the Oly 17mm f/1.8 look sharper than mine. I never get any love for my copy of that lens.
Thank you.

I have owned this lens twice. The first time I owned it I had a Pen EPL-3 and only ever printed out of camera JPEGS. I sold it on the grounds that it wasn't anything special. However, on re-examining some of the raw files, those that I shot at f5.6 or greater, they were actually pretty good by the time they had been processed, even just by pressing the 'auto' button in Lightroom basic panel.

My 'copy' didn't seem to perform well at apertures smaller than f5.6. With my new lens, I tend to use it between f1.8 and f4. I don't use filters other than polarisers (no filters on these). A cheap filter can degrade the image, especially if you do not use a lens hood.

The photos above have been tweaked. My preferences for white balance are not always to everyone's liking, my pictures tend to be a bit warm. I prefer not to make massive changes to exposure/blacks/whites/highlights. I expose so as not to blow out the highlights and pull the shadows back in lightroom.

I often add about 10 of 'texture', maybe 5-10 of saturation or vibrance. I reduce noise as required, and sharpen up to about 25.

Colours are not out of camera. I have used ON1 effects to add 'film looks' on the colour ones, I think Kodak VPS, but have reduced the effect to about 1/2.

Here is a raw file, unprocessed, un-sharpened and just converted to JPEG, quality 100 - full frame from my EM1MK2. Exposure was 1/60 f2.5, ISO 200. It is a little soft at the edges (my above photos are cropped), but fortunately, most people don't look at the edges :)

unedited.jpg

Last edited:

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime
Thank you.

I have owned this lens twice. The first time I owned it I had a Pen EPL-3 and only ever printed out of camera JPEGS. I sold it on the grounds that it wasn't anything special. However, on re-examining some of the raw files, those that I shot at f5.6 or greater, they were actually pretty good by the time they had been processed, even just by pressing the 'auto' button in Lightroom basic panel.

My 'copy' didn't seem to perform well at apertures smaller than f5.6. With my new lens, I tend to use it between f1.8 and f4. I don't use filters other than polarisers (no filters on these). A cheap filter can degrade the image, especially if you do not use a lens hood.

The photos above have been tweaked. My preferences for white balance are not always to everyone's liking, my pictures tend to be a bit warm. I prefer not to make massive changes to exposure/blacks/whites/highlights. I expose so as not to blow out the highlights and pull the shadows back in lightroom.

I often add about 10 of 'texture', maybe 5-10 of saturation or vibrance. I reduce noise as required, and sharpen up to about 25.

Colours are not out of camera. I have used ON1 effects to add 'film looks' on the colour ones, I think Kodak VPS, but have reduced the effect to about 1/2.

Here is a raw file, unprocessed, un-sharpened and just converted to JPEG, quality 100 - full frame from my EM1MK2. Exposure was 1/60 f2.5, ISO 200. It is a little soft at the edges (my above photos are cropped), but fortunately, most people don't look at the edges :)

View attachment 785426
Thank you for the detailed explanation :thumbup:
I don't have any filter on my copy of the lens.
I'm gonna give my 17mm another try one of these days.

jrsilva

Mu-43 All-Pro
Real Name
Jaime
Try shooting at about f2.8 and use a hood if you have one. All of my MFT lenses perform best at about f2.8-4. Good luck.
Yes, I do have hoods attached to all my lenses.
I'm gonna try to stick to f/2.8 and up.
Thank's for the tips.

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom