Showcase Olympus 17mm f/1.8

Theo

Mu-43 Veteran
Real Name
Theo K.
You're partly correct. It's not as sharp as the P14 in the center, but it has better edges and corners at all apertures. That said, IMO, the P14 has sharper center among all native prime lenses shorter than 42.5mm and other than the P20 and maybe the O25.

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
By all of the tests and reviews it does not seem to be as sharp a lens as the Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm/F2.5 ASPH. Pancake Lens.

I'm looking for a sharp lens for my OM-D EM5.
The relevance of sharpness is a matter for another thread but yes, in my experience, you're right, the 14 is sharper. The main attributes of the 17 in real world use compared to other lenses are obviously it's focal length as well as AF speed. It's sharp enough for many people but not the sharpest.

hobbes266

Mu-43 Regular
Subscribe to see EXIF info for this image (if available)

Milky Way
by hobbes266, on Flickr

Taken at the Gold Coast, Australia.

The image I put on Flickr is a 50% resize of the original. Here's a direct link to the "full" 50% size that is still very large and good for viewing what this lens was capable of:
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7319/16414268601_1806c97c53_o.jpg

Pecos

Mu-43 Top Veteran
Daniel K. Inouye Kilauea Point Lighthouse, Kauai

felldownflyover

New to Mu-43
By all of the tests and reviews it does not seem to be as sharp a lens as the Panasonic LUMIX G 14mm/F2.5 ASPH. Pancake Lens.

I'm looking for a sharp lens for my OM-D EM5.
Yeah but the 14 is slower and (my copy at least ) suffered from terrible barrel distortion. The 14 is conveniently small, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mu-43 mobile app

bigboysdad

Mu-43 All-Pro
Yeah but the 14 is slower and (my copy at least ) suffered from terrible barrel distortion. The 14 is conveniently small, but I wouldn't recommend it.

Sent from my HTCONE using Mu-43 mobile app
Whether or not one has a bad copy of the lens, barrel distortion is still easily fixed in post processing. For the price I'd certainly recommend it and it does go well with the 17.

nang3

Mu-43 Regular
great pics in here guys, I am really close to pulling the trigger on this lens as its pretty bloody cheap at the moment.. but part of me still wants the slightly wider and sharper PL15...

I've read almost every single online review of both lens and seems the general consensus is ;

Oly 17 is a fantastic lens with slightly faster AF
PL15 is slightly sharper with more pleasing bokeh

At the moment here in Oz the 17 is $200 cheaper, maybe $250 if the Olympus lens rebate is still applicable.. I don't want to save some cash and then regret it but then again I don't really need to pay an extra $200-250 for negligibly better IQ and the Leica name ... stupidly I also like the look and feel of the Leica, which adds nothing to IQ of course haha..

Does anyone here have both and prefer either for whatever reason?

Tychom

New to Mu-43

MarkRyan

Instagram: @MRSallee

Latest posts

Links on this page may be to our affiliates. Sales through affiliate links may benefit this site.
Mu-43 is a fan site and not associated with Olympus, Panasonic, or other manufacturers mentioned on this site.
Forum post reactions by Twemoji: https://github.com/twitter/twemoji
Copyright © 2009-2019 Amin Forums, LLC
Top Bottom